Out of My Mind by Spidey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2012
Out of My Mind by Spidey - Review

Effect: A spectator cuts the cards in half and then shuffles the two halves together, the performer then deals two piles of ten, the spectator chooses which packet of ten they want, the spectator before dealing cards is told a color before dealing each card to reveal that the performer is 100% correct and then as a killer ending you name the last card suite, color, and the exact identity.

Price: $6.95

Teaching: Spidey's instruction is very easy to follow, and I love the way he teaches his effects he goes over everything a few times, which makes for perfect teaching.

Difficulty: Easy - This effect is so easy and basically self working the set-up takes 20 seconds if the deck is borrowed and if new deck order then 10 seconds tops.

Application: This method makes for endless possibilities and i'm 100% sure that this has other applications using this principle.

What do spectators think?

This effect baffles spectators, I have already performed it a handful of times and there is no way a spectator will find out this method, it's ingenious, and amazing. The ending kils the spectator, but the idea that they are in control is the best part.

Pricing and worthiness?
At $6.95 this is a complete steal so simple and so powerful if you like the idea of hard hitting magic including a spectator shuffle and them cutting the cards it seems as if the spectator is in control. This makes for the best kind of magic

This effect has a diabolical plot and a storyline that goes just perfect with the effect, the release of the actual method comes straight out of The Linking Ring Magazine in July of 1958. My personal opinion of this trick is that it takes around 10 seconds to set up from a new deck order (this is the way I present the effect) and around 30-40 seconds top with a borrowed deck. Out of my mind is an impromptu miracle which is simple to master, and overall a simple but strong effect I believe what makes this effect even better is the story telling. If you have ever seen Michael Vincent perform a lot of his story telling revolves around intuitive insight and the ability to cut exactly to the cards he wants but in this case I say with intuitive insight I can tell exactly what cards are what color (A great spinoff from the way Spidey presents this).

Apr 9, 2013
I saw this... And Im confused. I cannot for the life of me not see what is original with this. What warrants this release other padding out spideys wallet with some easy cash from people who have never experimented with the Gilbreath principle? I've seen this version done exactly like this numerous times already. Isn't it enough already? Do we really need another re-release? Don't get me wrong this is very clever stuff. But in my mind if you haven't added anything, then why put it out. In my mind this is more or less just theft.

Think im gonna open up my royal road to card magic, and put together some one-effect downloads :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 25, 2012
I agree but then again i have to disagree it may not be the most original thing out there but then agIn it was first published in 1958 and not many magicians have had the priviledge to learn about the gilbreath principle. It has many other applications, but just because you know how the effect is done doesn't mean that others do as well. You made some very valid points and i respect them but i think that this was published due to it being released in 1958 and magic at it's peak at this day and age. I love royal road to card magic it's what i started with and what I refer to. Thanks for the response!

Apr 9, 2013
It was first Published then, since then there have been numerous versions, including this exact way of doing it. And I agree that it's nice to remind people of how great this principle really is. But I don't think that justifies just re-releasing it. I think for example that card warp is a great trick, but that can't justify me putting it out again with my name on it, without having altered it in any way.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Hi D, the history behind this effect is stated clearly before and after the video, with crediting assisted by Jason England and Max Maven. Of course, Spidey does not claim credit for the core technique behind Out of My Mind, published in 1958. Over the past half-century, there have been HUNDREDS of effects in manuscripts, journals, and magazines using this principle, and this is stated and credited appropriately within the video.

OOMM was created independently by Spidey as his personal favorite application of that principle. With regard to why Spidey - he is a remarkably talented, experienced performer who is abundantly qualified to offer instruction on both his original techniques, and the classic fundamentals that form the field of mentalism. With credit given where credit is due. And it is.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
ii3randonmagic, thank you! So happy you liked the video and loved the effect. This one is powerful - use it carefully!

Mar 12, 2013
I bought Out of My Mind several days ago and I love it! Though I did have one question for Spidey. You say that this trick can be used with a borrowed deck, but I didn't really understand how you are to set it up that quickly. I understand if its a brand new deck, you can use the Farrow, but if its used, how would you do this without making it completely obvious? Thanks!

Apr 9, 2013
Hi again...
I'm sure it's well taught, and credited. My issue is the originality. There's nothing original here as far as I can tell.
That's the issue... Like the example I made with Walton's Card Warp, I can't just release that with my name on it and credit to Roy Walton. I haven't added anything. That's where my issue lies.

Sincerely,
Daniel

Aug 25, 2012
When setting this up you don't have to make it a big ordeal ask to borrow the deck up-jog all of the red or black cards. Proceed to faro then or riffle.

Spidey_magic

Elite Member
Mar 5, 2008
Daniel: please specify WHERE this is published. I would love to see it :) thanks!

D_Young: what Brandon said is correct, no big deal then farrow and cut. We are filming an extra clip showing how to get into this from a borrowed deck. More on this soon !

Apr 9, 2013
Hi Spidey,
I wish I lived with my library and I would look it up. However, currently I dont have acccess to my library and cant give a specific source, but I do seem to remember its either a Walton or Vernon handling. Its also very similar, only presentation that differers slightly, to Mike Boden's Deck Memorization in Card Cavalcade 2. It's also very similar to (in method and presentation) Hector Chadwick's Reds & Blacks, but that one has more of a creative twist and finesse than yours. Out Of My Mind is just taking the gilbreath principle and doing the most obvious thing with it. Do you really think that no one else have done what you've done here?

http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?search=gilbreath&highlight=14720

Which lists some other sources for it, some which are very similar to yours such as getting into it from new deck order etc.

http://www.maa.org/columns/colm/cardcolm200608.html See Separated at Girth.

So what exactly have you added to the very basic idea? What's new here? Maybe I'm wrong... and maybe you've come up with something entirely original, and it's just that me and my friends have done the same trick all these years, even though it hasn't been published, and you are truly the first to publish it. It's possible, unlikely, but possible.

Sincerely,
Daniel

Spidey_magic

Elite Member
Mar 5, 2008
Hey Daniel,

As far as I can tell, neither of these routines have the step where the spectator intuitively cuts EXACTLY half the deck, NOR do they have the exact revelation of the last card. (the strongest part of the effect)

So far all you have provided are effects which USE the Gilbreath principle, that's like saying you can't publish an effect using a double lift because the ambitious card already exists.

ALSO! And this is huge, most versions of this principle that I have read INCLUDING the one you sourced, requires the performer to LOOK AT THE DECK AFTER THE SHUFFLE! Which I believe is less strong. Mine is dealt immediately after the shuffle, and the performer never looks at the cards.

So enough people thought there was value here, and also, i cant stress this enough, the trailer is VERY fair! I'm sorry but if I saw a trailer which showcased an effect I already do, I would just not buy it. The crediting is there, so I don't get the heat here. If one is familiar with it, all they would have to do is not buy it.

Just my two cents.
thanks
Spidey

Reactions: TylerM2
Apr 9, 2013
Hello again,

So you spread the one half on the table... That's the same as looking at them.
You clearly haven't read the Chadwick book then? As they do the cutting and he reveals the last card's identity, too.

Don't get me wrong here, it's a very good product. I just don't think it being original enough to warrant a release. I dont have to buy it, just because I know it, sure. But we can't all just think like that and release old stuff. Nevermind, I shan't dwell too much on this. My opinion isn't gonna change anybody else's, so I should probably just be quite and not worry as this has nothing to do with me.

Anyways, best of luck with your product!

Sincerely,
Daniel

Jun 22, 2008
earth
D_Young is spot on.

I personally learned this trick over three years ago from Asi Wind ('Chapter 1' notes). The issue is not that it is using the Gilbreath principle (which seems to be a lawyer like rebuttal) it's the red black part, IT'S NOT NEW, regardless if someone comes up with it themselves. Going with that logic, could I or would T11 release the 'mind mirror' (the same version found in Expert Card Technique) if I came up with it independently? Absolutely not (at least I should hope not). The defense of this is sad, adding the naming of the card and the cutting does not make it new, that's like saying putting new tires and a stereo in an old car makes it a new car and worthy of being amongst the new cars. If the method for naming the red and black was different then I wouldn't, I couldn't argue, but it is the same. T11 and/or spidey are basically trying to profit off of people who are not well read and those that are new to magic, that's not an honest business model at all.

I can't believe that your research didn't find that the core of this effect is not original.

Captain Picard double face palm!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I can't believe that your research didn't find that the core of this effect is not original.

Captain Picard double face palm!

Hey Winterline, it is stated within the video and in the written credits that without question, Spidey does not claim credit for the Gilbreath principle, nor the idea of using the Gilbreath principle in a red/black separation routine, nor the idea of using the Gilbreath principle in an open-face red/black separation routine. All of those things have been published many times before - with literally hundreds of Gilbreath applications from different performers and creators dating back to 1958.

With proper crediting, there is nothing wrong with this, just as there is nothing wrong with Jason England teaching the fundamentals of the Herrmann Pass with due respect to Alexander Herrmann and Hofzinser. In that case, and in this case, our videos were not intended for experienced professionals; but there is great value, and nothing wrong with, teaching the next generation of magicians and mentalists those principles that form the foundation of the art if, and only if, proper crediting is presented, and the instruction is offered by an experienced practitioner with the knowledge, expertise, and experience required to serve as a competent instructor.

With that said, this video is surely not intended for those already experienced with the Gilbreath Principle, or those that have already learned some of the many applications of the principle in print. This is an instructional resource for those new to the field of mentalism to learn the concept properly with a simple, powerful presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results