Over the shoulder spectators... a new breed of hecklers?

Jun 4, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
im sure some of us have this problem some times. . . .

i was doing a card trick to a group people and one person decides to walk around me and try to watch from behind. . . this has happend to me multiple times and im always fearful of them seeing what im doing and exposing it to others.

this is so annoying

i guess its not so much my left side that im worried about but my right that im more concerned about.

i've tried turning my body to the right while someone is trying to come around my right side and this works sometimes but other times they just keep on trying to walk around me.

any advice or personal experience on how to deal with this???

thanks in advance

-Kyle

Jun 24, 2008
United States
Maybe you can try using tricks that arent so angle sensitive. I usually perform completly surrounded, and i dont usually have to worry about angles. If your worried about something, like if they might see a pass, try using a different method of getting around it, in this case a double under cut would take care of the angles on the pass. Hope I helped!

~Nate

lol. honestly. i hate these kind of people. what i would do is just stop doing it. and just walk away. but that's only if i turn to face them, and they keep walking towards the side.

otherwise, just ask them of their motive. lol.

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
it's all about controling the crowd
and when someone is doing this i just stop the trick and i say sorry this guy is anoying me i need to go
so everybody complain about the guy he goes back where he should be and
everything is fine to keep going

Oct 28, 2007
crowd control guys just ask the person to move and give them an excuse of why they have to move.

D

Deleted member 2755

He wasn't heckling. He probably just couldn't see and wanted to see so he tried coming to the back.

Part of your job as the performer is to know where you audience is at all times and to control them. :) Learn audience management!

-Doug

Nov 10, 2007
He have to learn audience management if someone is behind you know they will see it, Then say something like:
If you go in the front you will actually see the magic happen
or
Just stop for a moment and tell him to go into the front.
Hope that Helps,
Donald

Dec 3, 2007
There are two situations:

1- If he is going to your side. you just let him be involved in the effect other then letting the normal spectatores envolvment, just go to him and let him pick a card "any card :p", this will make you shift you position or it will make him shift his position. and if your effect hits him hard then he will be bombed and speechless.

2-If he is on your back (behind your shoulder), just stop lower both of your hands with the deck and look at him just like looking at a bird on your shoulder, and dont stop look serious and then maybe burst a laugh (this could make a fool of him :p)... and then try to changed your position by asking someone from the back to get envolved and going to them. this will change the whole audience position which makes him one of the back spectatores :D

Hope it helps

Dec 22, 2007
There are two situations:

1- If he is going to your side. you just let him be involved in the effect other then letting the normal spectatores envolvment, just go to him and let him pick a card "any card :p", this will make you shift you position or it will make him shift his position. and if your effect hits him hard then he will be bombed and speechless.

That is a load of

great advice.

Sep 20, 2008
Just ask him to move. Politely. say he can get a better view of the trick if he stands here *and physically move him/her there. but not forcefully, more suggestively*

May i add this is also a good opportunity to do push over breaks, palms, etc. as it totally misdirects the spectators.

Dec 13, 2007
Atlanta,Georgia
if your surrounded when your doing tricks try practicing surrounded... at first it was hard for me but i learned how to keep peoples view where i wanted it to be through misdirection and sometimes tuning them out entirely... many will try to get a better view... so give em on show them your back and finish the trick... they will get frustrated and stay in front of you

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I recently had someone whip out their camera phone and film my card to pocket routine without me knowing it. To make matters worse, I found out he actually was secretly circling my performance space and filming me from every possible bad angle!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results