Panic: Full Review and Q&A

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I will try and answer the most common questions that I have seen on this website, but I WILL NOT reveal the gimmick or how the trick is done:

Q: Is there a gimmick?
A: Yes, THERE IS A GIMMICK, but it is included WITH your dvd purchase.

Q: Can this be done with cards other than the Kings?
A: No, IT CANNOT BE DONE WITH CARDS OTHER THAN THE 4 KINGS.

Q: Can you do this surrounded/ Is it angle sensitive?
A: In my opinion, yes, this trick is angle sensitve, however the odds that this trick will be revealed through angles, is highly(I want to stress that it is VERY unlikely) in my opinion.

Q: Can you REALLY do this trick naked?
A: Yes, in my opinion this trick can be done naked, but I wouldn't recomend it.

Q: How hard is this trick to perform?
A: In my opinion this trick is easy as pie to perform. You need not sell your soul in order to make the deck vanish. If you have sold your soul,I would ask for a refund.

Q: Can I make the gimmick should it be lost or damaged?
A: I do not know Theory 11's policy on this matter, you would have to ask them, but in my opinion, you can not make another one. Any questions on getting a new gimmick would have to be directed towards customer service

Q: How big is the gimmick?
A: Roughly the size of Asia.

Q: Can the deck be borrowed?
A: Yes, as long as you have the gimmick with you.

Q: Can the 4 kings be passed out for inspection?
A: Yes, with some simple moves, they can be, HOWEVER when you see the entire effect, you will realize it isn't about the Kings vanishing.

Q: Can this trick be done with Bicycle Guardians?
A: No.

Q: Are there any variations?
A: The variation of this routine is taught on the dvd and is called "Widespread Panic".

Q: Will I have to buy anything fo rthis effect?
A: Only if you don't own a standard Red backed Rider back Bicycle playing cards.

That's it for the QUESTION part of the review. I will be editing my post to include my review later tonight.
If anyone feels that my answers expose any part of the trick in any way, please PM either me or somebody with the powers to edit my answers so that this wonderful piece of magic isn't exposed.

The Review!

When I first saw the preview for Panic! I thought "Oh wow! I've got to get that!" Well, less than a week later (I ordered Saturday night, it got here today which is Thursday; less than a week for everything to go through) I received Panic!
I was so excited that I ditched all of my friends and family and locked myself in my room for 2 hours, and now, after watching it and taking some notes here is my review:

WHAT YOU GET

The dvd for Panic!
The gimmick

THE GIMMICK

Wow, this gimmick is INGENIOUS, it is very well made, and it just blows me away. The quality of it is amazing, and it is VERY easy to use.
As for replacing it, I don't know if that could be done or not, so don't ask me.
As for making your own: Don't even bother, you won't be able to, unless you're very talented and have vast resources.
It is a sturdy gimmick that won't break unless you're an idiot and aren't careful with it.

THE DVD

DVD Menu:
I really enjoyed this DVD. It has very simple, but good looking artwork on the cover and back. The menu is simple enough:
Play or Scenes are your choices.

Quality:
As for filming, it is very well filmed, very straightforward stuff, they do their signature Auto-Focus every so often, and there's a lamp pointed at the camera that might annoy people, but this dvd is very well filmed and has very good picture quality.

Teaching:
The most important part is the teaching, but the student is only as good as the teacher. Well if this is true, then there's going to be ALOT of good students out there. Aaron's teaching is very clear, very easy to follow, he speaks clearly, goes step by step to show you how the effect is done, he shows you the recomended handling, and little subtelties that help make this effect even better.

Extra trick:
Widespread Panic! This trick is really more like the prequel to Panic! If done directly before Panic, I'm sure that you will get knock out reactions. The trick is rather easy (There is one difficult move, but with practice you can get it down.)

Subtelties:
This is a very important part of the DVD. Aaron teaches you some subtelties of the trick, different handlings, alternate ways of presenting it, etc. etc. WATCH THIS PORTION. Yes, it seems as though he's just talking about meaningless stuff, and you already know the trick and have got it down and all that, but I promise, this portion will greatly help your routine.

Setup/Reset:
There is a setup involved, it's very easy to do, not too sure if it can be done in front of spectators, if you think you have the mad skillz to do it in front of them then do it.
The reset is the same as the setup.​

PRO'S AND CONS

Pro's:
Very visual
Easy once you get the handling down
The gimmick is extremly well made
Great teaching on DVD
Comes with the gimmick so that you don't have to make your own
Includes a great precursor to the trick that enhances it (Widespread Panic)

Con's:
Widespread Panic can be difficult at first
You aren't left 100% clean at the end, but odds are that the spectator won't even question you if you do this right
It is gimmicked for those of you who prefer sleight of hand vs a gimmick
Not too sure on replacing the gimmick

OVERALL OPINION/FINAL THOUGHTS

Wow, This trick is everything that I thought it would be and more. It is very well made, and is going to be a great effect for many people, but let me say this to everyone:
If you do not practice this effect, it will look poorly done, and this effect can get terrific results

I would recomend this trick, it's versatile so it could be used as an opener, a closer or just a filler trick. No matter what, you will have fun with this and your audience members will be blown away by it.

9/10​

Last edited by a moderator:

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was watching a video review on this product and he said something about liek a travellers routine that comes with it? Do you know what he is talking about?

P.S. The video stopped and wouldn't load after 2 minutes so I WAS SCREWED.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I was watching a video review on this product and he said something about liek a travellers routine that comes with it? Do you know what he is talking about?

P.S. The video stopped and wouldn't load after 2 minutes so I WAS SCREWED.

I believe he is talking about Widespread Panic.
Basically:
The 4 Kings are inserted into the deck, with a riffle one of them travels to the magicians pocket.
Another riffle, another King into another pocket.
The magician says he's going to make the final two cards travel into his BACK pockets, and with two more riffles of the deck, the cards magically appear into the back pockets!

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
hey thanks alot you really helped me out. I have already ordered it like last friday but I still ahd some questions.

Anyways thanks again you helped me out a bunch.

No problem, I'll have the full review up later tonight, I just wanted to go ahead and get the big questions out of the way.

Sep 1, 2007
GREAT REVIEW. You just sold Panic to me haha. Well not litteraly, but you know what I mean. This is the next thing i will be buying for sure.

*Things bought: Digital Dissolve, 2 Gaurdians*

Sincerly,
Spencer.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Thanks fo rthe kind words guys.
I was kinda worried that it wouldn't make sense cause I had just filmed a video and written a review on Guardians, but I hope I was able to give an unbiased opinion on everything.

Aug 31, 2007
When I opened the gimmick up, I thought, "holy crap this trick is bold!". After messing around with it a few times, it looks absolutely perfect.

Geeze, now I want it so bad!
I can't decide whether to get magic stuff, and improve my knowledge through that, or save the $1000 to go to sorcerers safari next year... I think I'll get panic, then save up.

Thanks,
Evan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results