Party Tonight

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
just came back from a really sick luau style party, the entertainment hired was somehow forgotten when i started performing, to be honest though the hoola dancers hired were overweight seniors ( im being serious on that , not making a joke) I was asked to perform by my girlfriends cousin (which was not in the same area as the dancers) when I walked in, and within minutes i had a crowd of at least 15 people crowding around me, I felt bad because i originally was only performing for him, because he was not in the same area as the dancers, so i thought it was ok, but after his first reaction people started getting interested, and walked over. Leaving the dancers with less then half the people that were watching in the first place.

what would of you done at this point? keep performing, or have some kind of sympathy for the horrible entertainment hired (not saying that because they were overweight seniors but because they really were not entertaining)

I believe there is a time and place for everything, when i realised how much attention i had gathered i finished the effect i was already in the middle of (pressure, which got HUGE reactions) then told them there would be more magic after everyone is good and drunk, hoping they would return to the dancers.

By the time I was done, so were the dancers with their set.

so how would of you handled that situation??

PS: the rest of the party was amazing, I tried some effects i never have before, and there were SOOO many plastic bottles there, i was kicking myself that CRUSH didnt come in the mail yet lmao. but there will be another party for that.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Situations like this are difficult because as entertainers, if we see people bored out of their minds we know we possess the power to change the entire situation within minutes.

In a situation like this I probably would have performed as well. If it was a party honoring someone or a birthday party where the intended attention was supposed to be on that person, then I probably would have held off unless that person specifically asked me to perform something for them.

We all crave the attention, money, smiles, laughter, ego boost, etc. Deep down it is like emotional crack to us. However you have to know when and where it is ok to perform and not cause an unpleasant environment.

I might have had "some" sympathy for the dancers because what if at some point you are at a paid gig performing and then 10 minutes later, some other dude starts eating fire in the back yard or someone decides that girl jello wrestling (which would be sweet) would be way more entertaining. Everyone would leave you high and dry with your cards in hand and you'd be pretty pissed.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
or someone decides that girl jello wrestling (which would be sweet) would be way more entertaining. Everyone would leave you high and dry with your cards in hand and you'd be pretty pissed.

Rev, I'd leave myself high and dry with my cards if girl jello wrestling broke out.
I don't think anyone would be pissed in that situation haha.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Trust me, jell-o wrestling isn't any more interesting than regular wrestling, it's just more slippery.

I'm not entirely sure of the situation, but if you are close enough to the stage to draw away the audience, it's disrepectful to perform when someone else is performing. Doesn't matter if you're more entertaining than them, that's just rationalization for being a jerk. Those dancers probably worked hard at putting that show together and you took half their audience. How would you feel if the roles were reversed?

Personally, I would have not performed until the dancers were done, or I would have left the area entirely so as not to be a distraction.

Mar 27, 2010
Trust me, jell-o wrestling isn't any more interesting than regular wrestling, it's just more slippery.

I'm not entirely sure of the situation, but if you are close enough to the stage to draw away the audience, it's disrepectful to perform when someone else is performing. Doesn't matter if you're more entertaining than them, that's just rationalization for being a jerk. Those dancers probably worked hard at putting that show together and you took half their audience. How would you feel if the roles were reversed?

Personally, I would have not performed until the dancers were done, or I would have left the area entirely so as not to be a distraction.

what he said

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wow...even the event planner was not watching the hired dancers? That is pretty disrespectful. The more I think about it I would have waited until the dancers were completely done. I would have been irate if I had been the girls and lost some of our crowd.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results