Pass Professional Tutorial by Jonathan Kamm

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
Pass Professional Tutorial by Jonathan Kamm

Pass Professional Tutorial - $17.50

File size

150mb (30mins @ 100kbs)

What is it?
Basically this video teaches you the same technique that he has used for the last seventeen years along with tips that includes misdirection, the Le Paul automatic jog control and the dubious rocking action.

Angles
The first section of this video is simply Kamm performing the pass many times at three different angles to give an idea how effective it is when mastered. I have to be honest if you have a keen eye there are tiny flashes at some points but other then that each pass is executed in a relaxed manner and with almost no hand movement.

Grip

The section focuses on the correct grip necessary to perform this. If you are familiar to passing techniques please don't skip over this as the top hand grip is vital to the mechanics of this pass.

The movement and mechanics

Kamm goes over the basic movement of the pass and the physics behind why the packets transpose so quickly. In the mechanics section he uses plastic plates to teach this is extremely clear as he goes over how each packet is supposed to move individually then combines both of the movements to give a detailed view of what happens. Unlike other videos I have watched this isn't rushed which defiantly adds to the clarity of the teaching.

The rock

This is interesting as a lot of mechanics fall at this point. Kamm shows and describes that you don't need a huge motion. He goes over his tips for hiding any flash that occurs from the bottom left corner.

Le Paul automatic jog control

Kamm uses this technique before any pass action occurs. I like it as it naturally reduces time both hands meet therefore limiting suspicion from spectators. This tip alone is worth the price from a real world practical stand point.

Misdirection

I would like to say that Kamm's pass isn't bullet proof but it is practical. In this section he talks about the techniques he uses to misdirect attention. A lot of this is common sense but the tips are simple yet effective.

Final words

The final section is about miscellaneous tips that will help with the learning and practice of this slight. There only thing I was disappointed with was the lack of credits at the end of the video, who first created the pass, who inspired you and a lineage of your pass, who invented the tips etc. Although saying this the use and credits of the plastic blocks is on his website.

Conclusion

All of the teaching is this video is clear, paced and precise. The sound and video quality is great, although not HD due to the small file size. There was a lot of effort put into the production of the graphics, layout and structure.

I've be practicing the pass for approximately 18 months and I have always admired Kamm's work. If I had this video when I first started then my own development would be more streamlined and efficient. I wish that there was a larger section on practical tips using more examples of possible situations. Apart from the lack of crediting inside of the video I really enjoyed watching this, I have personally learned a couple of new tips that add to the progression of my work with this sleight.

Finally, what are you looking for in a pass? If you what something that is relaxed, uses little hand movement and can be used in a practical setting then this is something that you should invest in. If on the other hand you want something that can be burned to death and yet doesn't flash then I would steer clear this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2009
Just around
First off great review!

But I still have one question, how bad are the angles? You said "If on the other hand you want something that can be burned to death and yet doesn't flash then I would steer clear this." So is it somewhat angley? Or still pretty good.

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
The angles are fine he only flashes a couple of times from the front. I forgot to mention that kamm does the pass about ten times from a left, front and right angle all in a single shot. In my opinion the flashes come down to human error more then anything else. If you watch his classic pass on his you tube it's almost flawless. This pass is nothing like the mongrel pass by Steven youell for bulletproof angles for instance but what you get here is something that relies on the use simply two fingers to remove tension in a relaxed manner. I imagine that when 'perfected' the pass would work in a 170 degree arc the weakest side being the right, with the right hand being the top hand. I hope this answers any questions you have.

Mar 20, 2010
@ scarecrow1

The Pass I teach in the tutorial is the Pass I have found to be the most practical and have the least angle problems of any Pass I have seen. Here is a testimonial I just received today from Allan Ackerman.

“This is the best explanation and tutorial on the classic pass I have ever seen in my fifty plus years of doing card magic. Jonathan really has this move down and you could not ask for a better teacher.”

—Allan Ackerman

There are more testimonials from some of the top card men in the world on the product page.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results