Patter - Advice

Jun 3, 2008
Hey Guys, Here are my thoughts and ideas on patter and some tips and advice on how to use it

WHAT IS PATTER

Patter is what magic relies on when you are performing a routine
to any group of audience, patter is telling a story, patter is
what adds confusion, patter is what adds the mystery, but then when
the magic comes in it is a drug to the patter. Magic almost always needs
patter when performing, unless it is a really quick video, but patter is
what can give you reputation, excite your spectators or even confuse but
surprise and explain it with your magic.

WHEN YOU USE PATTER, YOU ARE:

- Telling a story
- Including the audience
- Getting Opinions, such as what they believe in, whether they believe a certain thing is possible
- Using it to explain your effect, or what you are about to do
- For misdirection

TELLING A STORY

So how do you tell a story when performing? Well think of your effect and think of your audience
you are going to perform to, or think of everyday situations and issues growing in
the society of the world. Example: The world is slowly dying, because it is being squeezed to death by us,
you could have the spectators all hold the coin, or wrap all their hands around it. But when you tell a story you
are including your spectators so you should ask for their opinion on it, ask them
how you could improve the world, and instead of having the coin disappear, it changes from a dime to a 100 dollar
bill.

So think of your effect and think how you can implement a story into your routine, and make sure that you are
confident so that your audience is also to confident and comfortable.

USING PATTER FOR YOUR MIS-DIRECTION

Yes that’s right you can use patter for mis-direction, well everyone mainly does,
like say you asked them a question, they would look at your eyes so you could do that little
sleight you were waiting half an hour for, while there eyes were fixed and glued to your hands.
If you are in a situation where there are more than 1 person and they are very suspicious of you
and are constantly looking at your hands, don’t be nervous. Be confident, crack up a joke and it will loosen them up
a bit more.

Don’t use your misdirection too much or too obviously, so don’t go:
“Look! an obvious distraction!” and wave your hand about in the air, but thinking about it
it might work :p , but don’t use it to much and don’t over do it, do what you are comfortable doing it.

INCLUDE THEM:

- Get them to hold your coin, get them to check the time on their watch
Little things like this gives you opportunity for something you don’t want them
to see.

USING GESTURES

Also try to use hand gestures, like when you are saying “Imagine this!”, You can wave your hand in front of yourself but at their eye level, distracting
them oh so very little for you to once again do your sneaky, ninja fast technique.

So remember:
- Use a story
- Include your audience
- Use jokes and humor
- Be confident
- Use misdirection

I would love to hear your thoughts and Ideas on patter too! I also posted thread on "Dealing with hecklers" which you can see too.

Cheers,

Nick

byu

Jul 1, 2009
USA
I perform two kinds of tricks, those with no patter, no speech even, just self explanatory illusions and those where I keep talking on and on for misdirection.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results