Patter, an online source to teach you how to make it excellent.

Sep 9, 2010
I have struggled with patter for quite a while, I've been meaning to buy Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz for quite a while, but I haven't gotten around to it. However, I found something that has helped me IMMENSELY, a thread from the Ellusionist forums, and if you study the information in that thread, and apply it to your magic, I GUARANTEE you will walk away a better magician. "What is it??!" "Gimme the link man!" here you go, I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

http://forums.ellusionist.com/showthread.php?90123-Your-patter-sucks.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I like what he is trying to do but all he is doing is just ranting and yelling off at other people just saying that it sucks without even going in depth on how to make it better (besides providing his own patter). It'd be funny to see him perform a set with different patter for each one (like he showcased). It will be a jumbled mess, and just plain boring hearing constantly about his life. At that point I'd yell "Get on with the darn trick!". Once again, I like the point of the thread but him just telling people it sucks without giving a solid and in depth reason is just watching someone annoy you and won't shut up. Sigh.....

Sep 9, 2010
I like what he is trying to do but all he is doing is just ranting and yelling off at other people just saying that it sucks without even going in depth on how to make it better (besides providing his own patter). It'd be funny to see him perform a set with different patter for each one (like he showcased). It will be a jumbled mess, and just plain boring hearing constantly about his life. At that point I'd yell "Get on with the darn trick!". Once again, I like the point of the thread but him just telling people it sucks without giving a solid and in depth reason is just watching someone annoy you and won't shut up. Sigh.....

If I remember correctly, at page 6, he add's some nice advice, and when someone does it right, he let's everyone know why it's right.

Aug 6, 2008
I don't like that guy gouds patter either. It doesnt appeal to me. I guess thats the thing about magic, it affects people in different ways. I agree with Casey if he performed for me I would get tired of his long stories. Although I did like a couple on that forum. He also didn't go much in depth and basically repeated the same stuff, such as don't let cards represent people, and don't focus on your props. I did not go very far in the thread, so he might have gone into more detail later.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I don't like that guy gouds patter either. It doesnt appeal to me. I guess thats the thing about magic, it affects people in different ways. I agree with Casey if he performed for me I would get tired of his long stories. Although I did like a couple on that forum. He also didn't go much in depth and basically repeated the same stuff, such as don't let cards represent people, and don't focus on your props. I did not go very far in the thread, so he might have gone into more detail later.

Exactly. If someone does it wrong he doesn't point it out besides saying "Really? That sucks." or "That's it? You can do better." and doesn't give any more advice. It's be a lot more effective if he pointed out the wrong ones and gave advice for them rather than pointing out the right ones and say "follow this example"; doesn't give much clarity.

An effect I recently picked up on is "The Sculpture" by Helder Guimaraes from his Red Mirror DVD. I feel that this one effect has inspired me to start applying what I do and let my spectators know more about who I am and what I do and why I do it. I won't supply EVERY SINGLE patter line I do, but I will give some of the basics and barebones so you can see what I mean:

I love magic. Magic to me is more than finding your card, reading your mind, or displaying impossible feats. It is an art, an art in which anyone can learn, but takes dedication and time. When you hear the word "art", you think of a painting, a sculpture, an image in which emotion is reflected and the feelings of the artist are shown. I am also one of those artists. I love art, and I carry a piece of art everywhere I go.

(I reach for the wallet and pull out 2 jokers with a face down card in between them.)

This image reflects a work of art. You have a frame, and you have the piece. I know it doesn't look like much, but what I love is the simplicity of an image, and this represents that 100%. People say to me "I want to learn how to draw! It's too bad I can't do it." Constructing a piece of art is actually pretty simple. As I mentioned earlier, an art takes dedication and time. However with practice it becomes easier. So, with this said, I'll walk you through how I create a piece of art.

Then the routine goes on. I really connect with this effect and it connects to me as well. This is one of my favorite effects performing because I can really show myself to my audience. When your audience gets to know you, the mood is more relaxed and they connect with you better. Hopefully this introduction to the effect gets you thinking. Find a trick, make it connect in a personal and emotional way, and you got a great start to your routine.

ATH

May 1, 2010
I have struggled with patter for quite a while, I've been meaning to buy Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz for quite a while, but I haven't gotten around to it. However, I found something that has helped me IMMENSELY, a thread from the Ellusionist forums, and if you study the information in that thread, and apply it to your magic, I GUARANTEE you will walk away a better magician. "What is it??!" "Gimme the link man!" here you go, I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

http://forums.ellusionist.com/showthread.php?90123-Your-patter-sucks.

That guy is condescending and narcissistic. His patter wasn't even that great. Extreme Burn is one of the most visual effects out there, to the point where it doesn't need some cheesy patter where the bills are turned into fake money. That's just insulting. I prefer the David Blaine method: "Watch." *BAM* "WTF"

patter can have a story. but you really need to know what to keep in and cut out.
i was working on a metal bending patter. and it was a good back story, but it really took too long to do. i had to stream line it and more ideas came to me when i did. im an entertainer, patter needs to be entertaining, im not trying to gain some sense of wonder and have a story for everything. the audience wants to see magic. so just do the magic and keep the patter to the smallest it needs to be to get the point across
check out this little comic
http://bitstrips.com/strips/WVFLL.png

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
That thread by Goudinov is old, but pretty good. I've read every single post in that thread, and I think that you guys are missing the point of the whole thread.
That thread had been posted as a challenge, for people to figure out how to make interesting patter. So to give out help all the time would kill the point of the thread. The reason that he just say "it sucks, come up with something better" is because the point is that YOU need to come up with something better yourself, thus forcing you to think harder, which is not achieved my constant outside help.
His patter is not too long, it may seem long on the "paper" but it actually makes sense, it's interesting and engaging. If you read through the thread you will find posts where he actually tells other people to trim down their patter, and he gives example (aka. trim that patter for them).

@Casey: The patter that you provided can be considered long and dry IMO. It does not engage audience in any (or very little) way. And by the time you say all those things effect is just starting, which is too long.

I think that we should have a similar thread like that one here on T11. Although we did have some failed attempts.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
That thread by Goudinov is old, but pretty good. I've read every single post in that thread, and I think that you guys are missing the point of the whole thread.
That thread had been posted as a challenge, for people to figure out how to make interesting patter. So to give out help all the time would kill the point of the thread. The reason that he just say "it sucks, come up with something better" is because the point is that YOU need to come up with something better yourself, thus forcing you to think harder, which is not achieved my constant outside help.
His patter is not too long, it may seem long on the "paper" but it actually makes sense, it's interesting and engaging. If you read through the thread you will find posts where he actually tells other people to trim down their patter, and he gives example (aka. trim that patter for them).

@Casey: The patter that you provided can be considered long and dry IMO. It does not engage audience in any (or very little) way. And by the time you say all those things effect is just starting, which is too long.

I think that we should have a similar thread like that one here on T11. Although we did have some failed attempts.

It is not long and dry. I understand your point but this sets the audience for what happens in the end. You show them the finishing product and then start from scratch and show how you end there. You take them full circle. The intro may seem long, but this isn't a trick done in a middle of a set. This is how I would introduce myself in the beginning of one. A lot of professionals let their audience get to know them before the magic begins; what I showcase above is exactly that. Also, the way I move my hands and the way the routine flows is also artistic, so they can definitely see some inspiration from art. It doesn't take very long at all to explain the patter I provided. It isn't slow, or fast, it's right in the middle where they understand but they aren't bored. A way to not bore them is to change facial expression, and look at each person. When you mix it up and change focus, their focus is also altered, which keeps them intrigued. This is only the surface.

Sep 20, 2009
I Believe my post were deleted because i 'disagreed' with what was being said there..

That being Said..

Who is to say 'He' is the 'Know it all' of patter.. could you honestly sit through a whole show of his 'Patter'?

Magic doesn't have to have a whole 'Story' just meaning.. something i've lectured on before

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I Believe my post were deleted because i 'disagreed' with what was being said there..

That being Said..

Who is to say 'He' is the 'Know it all' of patter.. could you honestly sit through a whole show of his 'Patter'?

Magic doesn't have to have a whole 'Story' just meaning.. something i've lectured on before

AMEN to that.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
It is not long and dry. I understand your point but this sets the audience for what happens in the end. You show them the finishing product and then start from scratch and show how you end there. You take them full circle. The intro may seem long, but this isn't a trick done in a middle of a set. This is how I would introduce myself in the beginning of one. A lot of professionals let their audience get to know them before the magic begins; what I showcase above is exactly that. Also, the way I move my hands and the way the routine flows is also artistic, so they can definitely see some inspiration from art. It doesn't take very long at all to explain the patter I provided. It isn't slow, or fast, it's right in the middle where they understand but they aren't bored. A way to not bore them is to change facial expression, and look at each person. When you mix it up and change focus, their focus is also altered, which keeps them intrigued. This is only the surface.

Well, I may be mistaken then. I don't actually know what the effect looks like, since I don't own Mirror, I was basing what I said, on the things that you mentioned in your post.
What I meant when I said that it is not engaging enough is that not everyone is an astist. In fact, very few people are (considering how many people are there). So they would not connect or get involved emotionally, as they don't have any interest in the art. It would be a lot better if you used some other example from everyday life that everyone can relate to (if you know what I mean). Although, it is not bad for an opener, or introduction. Maybe you can use the same patter, but then ADD something from everyday life so that the audience would also be emotionally engaged, instead of just mentally. That way you will get best of both worlds.
Also, I have been doing a lot of public speaking and seminars that are more than 1 hour long. So in order to keep audience attention for the entire time, you need to ask questions, a lot of questions that motivates people to think and reply. The rule was, everything that can be made into a question, make it a question. To give you an example from your patter: "People say to me "I want to learn how to draw! It's too bad I can't do it." Constructing a piece of art is actually pretty simple." You could make it like this: "If YOU would have been an artist, what would you do?" they will say play a guitar, paint, write etc. then you continue "And why don't people achieve that dream?" they will say it's pretty hard, or that they can't do it, or something, and then you say "Well, in fact, constructing a piece of art is actually pretty simple".
Now that was just an example that came to my mind now in a few seconds, but I hope you get the point. By asking questions instead of telling people, they will feel more engaged, and they will feel that they are actually there, and that you care about them, and they will not feel like they are watching you on TV.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia

That being Said..

Who is to say that Darwin Ortiz is the "Know it all" of patter? No one actually said that Goudinov is the know it all of patter, but everything he said (more or less, so far) made sense, at least to me. He never said that EVERY SINGLE effect you do should have a long and engaging patter. In fact, if I remember correctly, he said quite the opposite, he did say that you SHOUDN'T have long and engaging patter in every effect. Which, once again, makes sense.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Well, I may be mistaken then. I don't actually know what the effect looks like, since I don't own Mirror, I was basing what I said, on the things that you mentioned in your post.
What I meant when I said that it is not engaging enough is that not everyone is an astist. In fact, very few people are (considering how many people are there). So they would not connect or get involved emotionally, as they don't have any interest in the art. It would be a lot better if you used some other example from everyday life that everyone can relate to (if you know what I mean). Although, it is not bad for an opener, or introduction. Maybe you can use the same patter, but then ADD something from everyday life so that the audience would also be emotionally engaged, instead of just mentally. That way you will get best of both worlds.
Also, I have been doing a lot of public speaking and seminars that are more than 1 hour long. So in order to keep audience attention for the entire time, you need to ask questions, a lot of questions that motivates people to think and reply. The rule was, everything that can be made into a question, make it a question. To give you an example from your patter: "People say to me "I want to learn how to draw! It's too bad I can't do it." Constructing a piece of art is actually pretty simple." You could make it like this: "If YOU would have been an artist, what would you do?" they will say play a guitar, paint, write etc. then you continue "And why don't people achieve that dream?" they will say it's pretty hard, or that they can't do it, or something, and then you say "Well, in fact, constructing a piece of art is actually pretty simple".
Now that was just an example that came to my mind now in a few seconds, but I hope you get the point. By asking questions instead of telling people, they will feel more engaged, and they will feel that they are actually there, and that you care about them, and they will not feel like they are watching you on TV.

Thank you very much Toby! I see exactly what you mean. Will think about this over sleep and see what I can add and take away. THIS is what I was talking about! :)

Sep 20, 2009
Who is to say that Darwin Ortiz is the "Know it all" of patter? No one actually said that Goudinov is the know it all of patter, but everything he said (more or less, so far) made sense, at least to me. He never said that EVERY SINGLE effect you do should have a long and engaging patter. In fact, if I remember correctly, he said quite the opposite, he did say that you SHOUDN'T have long and engaging patter in every effect. Which, once again, makes sense.

Indeed... I don't follow everything 'Darwin' says by heart either.. in fact that book has gotten just as much 'Over Hype' as a lot of them

you have to find and 'Script' what fits 'YOUR' Character.... so it does no good to say 'This is how you SHOULD' write your patter.. or 'Your Patter Sucks'

We can merely give 'Guidelines' and what we have found works in actually 'Professional' Settings...

The way i 'Present' an Effect and the way you 'Present' an effect will be completely different.. and it quite well should be different.. there is no reason why anyone should ever 'Present' the 'Effect' exactly the same..

That Being Said

i could write a whole book on 'Creating Rapport' 'Having the Audience Invest In You' 'Emotional Hooks' 'Engaging' 'Presentation'

Based on Real World Professional Working Situations

but who is to say my way is 'Superior' to any other way

Savvy?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
In the last couple of years I saw two stage magic shows. The first was Kalin and Ginger and the second was David Copperfield. The effects that I liked the best and remembered the most weren't the flashy "look at what I can do" effects, but the effects that reached out on an emotional level. Mark Kalin performed a billiard ball manipulation as he told a story about the first magic effect he performed for his mother. Him, a stool, a spotlight, a box on a table and some billiard balls. It was truly magic. David Copperfield performed a routine about his grandfather who disapproved of him becoming a professional magician. How he thought he saw his grandfather at the back of one of his shows... and tried to talk to him after the show but couldn't find him. Later, when his grandfather passed away, David found a ticket stub for the show in his grandfather's house. He then proceeded to make his grandfather's car appear on stage amidst a number of spectators with a license plate that matched random letters and numbers selected by an audience member. In those shows, not every effect was intended to touch the audience's emotions, not every effect had a story. However, those two routines were more powerful because they did.

I agree with Casey if he performed for me I would get tired of his long stories.

If you read the thread, the advice to "cut the fat" was given very often. Good patter is not too long and not too short, but just right.

Exactly. If someone does it wrong he doesn't point it out besides saying "Really? That sucks." or "That's it? You can do better." and doesn't give any more advice. It's be a lot more effective if he pointed out the wrong ones and gave advice for them rather than pointing out the right ones and say "follow this example"; doesn't give much clarity.

As Toby pointed out, the purpose of the thread (in my opinion) was to make people think about their patter and to WORK to make it better. There are smatterings of advice throughout the thread but you have to think about the examples given. Working that hard makes you more invested in the result. Note, this is coming from someone who was told several times that his patter sucked.

An effect I recently picked up on is "The Sculpture" by Helder Guimaraes from his Red Mirror DVD. I feel that this one effect has inspired me to start applying what I do and let my spectators know more about who I am and what I do and why I do it.
Then the routine goes on. I really connect with this effect and it connects to me as well. This is one of my favorite effects performing because I can really show myself to my audience. When your audience gets to know you, the mood is more relaxed and they connect with you better. Hopefully this introduction to the effect gets you thinking. Find a trick, make it connect in a personal and emotional way, and you got a great start to your routine.

I think that works for an icebreaker and an introduction. However, I'm not sure how much of a connection it creates with the audience because you are talking about yourself rather than talking about something that links you to your audience.

When I do my haunted key routine, I talk about a armoire in the attic of my grandfather's house that really scared me when I was a little kid. People can relate to that because everyone when they were little had irrational fears regarding strange objects in strange places.

Extreme Burn is one of the most visual effects out there, to the point where it doesn't need some cheesy patter where the bills are turned into fake money. That's just insulting. I prefer the David Blaine method: "Watch." *BAM* "WTF"

That method works best with a network film crew in tow. Ask people about what you did a week later and they will say it was a really cool trick where you changed those bills. With strong patter, people will say I loved what you did with the key from your grandfather's armoire. In that case, the patter becomes inextricably tied to their reaction to the effect. The amazement at what happened is still there, but the effect takes on a greater meaning.

Agree.

That being Said..

Your posts (as well as Steerpike's and my posts disagreeing with you) were most likely deleted because they were derailing the thread from its intended purpose - people post patter and get a reaction from Goudinov as to whether it sucks or not. If I recall correctly, your posts were essentially, asking "who is this guy to tell us what to do?" and saying there really "is no right or wrong when it comes to performing because magic is an art." The advice given in that thread is like any other advice you get - you are free to take it or leave it. If you don't want the feedback, don't post.

Also, I don't think Goudinov presented himself as a know it all of patter. The idea is you post, he responds based on what he thinks is good patter. He has a very specific idea of what makes good patter. He uses Eugene Burger and David Copperfield as models for what he is saying. Not bad company.

Who is to say that Darwin Ortiz is the "Know it all" of patter? No one actually said that Goudinov is the know it all of patter, but everything he said (more or less, so far) made sense, at least to me. He never said that EVERY SINGLE effect you do should have a long and engaging patter. In fact, if I remember correctly, he said quite the opposite, he did say that you SHOULDN'T have long and engaging patter in every effect. Which, once again, makes sense.

Exactly.

Indeed... I don't follow everything 'Darwin' says by heart either.. in fact that book has gotten just as much 'Over Hype' as a lot of them

you have to find and 'Script' what fits 'YOUR' Character.... so it does no good to say 'This is how you SHOULD' write your patter.. or 'Your Patter Sucks'

We can merely give 'Guidelines' and what we have found works in actually 'Professional' Settings...

The way i 'Present' an Effect and the way you 'Present' an effect will be completely different.. and it quite well should be different.. there is no reason why anyone should ever 'Present' the 'Effect' exactly the same..

That Being Said

i could write a whole book on 'Creating Rapport' 'Having the Audience Invest In You' 'Emotional Hooks' 'Engaging' 'Presentation'

Based on Real World Professional Working Situations

but who is to say my way is 'Superior' to any other way

Savvy?

I think you are taking relativism to an extreme. If your way of doing something works for you, there probably are techniques that you use which may be useful to others. The idea of patter espoused in that thread works for Goudinov and there are principles that may be useful to others.

However, just like when you read books on presentation by Dariel Fitzskee, Darwin Ortiz, Derren Brown, Ken Webber, Peter McCabe, Juan Tamariz, etc., you need to think about the advice given and decide if it works for you. The important part is that you think about how you present your magic and whether what you are doing works and why it works.

I think the best example of the type of reaction that Goudinov's thread is going after is the Pixar movies. Toy Story isn't amazing because we watch toys act like people and Up isn't a beautiful movie because we get to see a house fly using hundreds of balloons. Those movies are amazing and beautiful because the animation conveys a story that touches our emotions. Wouldn't it be great if you had one effect that, through its patter, touched your audience's emotions?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results