Paul Harris' Whack Your Pack - Live... in a Santa Hat

Hey guys,

Here's a little video of my handling one of my all time favorite effects, Paul Harris' Whack Your Pack (or Reflex). The video was filmed at a gig I did just last week, which explains the Santa hat :) (in hindsight, the hat was covering my eyes... which I didn't know at the time).

Anyway, this effect has become one of my favorites because of the pure conviction that the spectator has. They believe that they have gotten you, they've beaten the magician... but bam, you turn their world around. Wonderful, wonderful effect.

If I was going to critique this video, myself, I'd say that the performance was a bit rushed. I was going from table to table (with limited time to do so) so I was a little speedy, but all in all I think it's a good performance. Oh, and please ignore my dorky laugh at the end :)

Whack Your Pack - LIVE

And yes, the music is by Dana Hocking from the Deception Project, available at www.waynehouchin.com

Thanks guys, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

C

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Good job man. This is also one of my favorite effects to perform. I use it in my regular bar gig and it kills...I send the card under their drink though :)

Jamy Ian Swiss has a killer take on this plot. There is a video out there somewhere of him performing it. It is just his patter that makes the effect so strong...search it out!

Mike

Jul 14, 2008
Wow, I thought old people are suppsed to be slow, but gosh, she was so quick. Other than that, it is a wonderful performance to see!

May 16, 2009
yeah, that was nice. And she was fast xD, they could swear that she had her card under her hand.

Thanks, guys! Glad you liked the performance :)

Mike and SanJ, that is a terrific routine. I love the idea of "No, that's red... keep going" and really showing that the card is totally gone. Thanks for passing that along!

Thanks again, guys.

C

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
That is the clip. From the documentary Art of Magic.
He does it more than once on the full video. But there is a different one out there of him doing it.
His eye contact, body language, everything is top notch.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
That is the clip. From the documentary Art of Magic.
He does it more than once on the full video. But there is a different one out there of him doing it.
His eye contact, body language, everything is top notch.

I love card under glass, ive been playing around with it lately, that video is a great example of the trick done well.

thanks for pointing that out

Jun 1, 2009
Great video and good performance, I enjoyed it.
Is it bad (ethically speaking) if I wish to perform this trick, using my own patter and everything, but without purchasing it? I figured it out (not trying to brag, sorry) and this looks like so much fun to perform. But why buy it if I figured it out? I'm not trying to start an arguement, I know there are tricks with exceptions to this and I do not do this with every trick I perform. Its just fairly simple so I dont feel a need to buy it when I know how its done. (again, not trying to show off, sorry if it comes off that way.)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results