PDF // Nursery Rhymes Vol.1 - Dan and Dave Buck // Review

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: DAN & DAVE BUCK:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: NURSERY RHYMES VOLUME 1 REVIEW::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The Contents:
•Blackjack Production: First Version
•Blackjack Production: Second Version
•Collectors: First Version
•Collectors: Second Version
•Ferrari 360 Spider
•Second Deal Production
•Molecule 2: As a Cut
•Molecule 2: As a Production

Originally sold on www.dananddave.com for $15.00.

Prethoughts:
I bought this back in December 2004 and, after having never even seen a magic PDF before, I was unsure what to expect. But at the time I thought, for $15 and a few instant-downloadable card tricks, I didn't think you could go much wrong. Oh how right I was!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Foreword:
In here Dave gives credit to the people that have really helped inspire him and his brother to become what they are now. These people include: Brian Tudor, Joey Burton, Ricky Smith, Paul David, Josh Sadowsky - plus Theory11's very own Chris Kenner and Lee Asher. He explains that without the help of these individuals, their card magic would not be so "visual and flashy". It's great to hear credit where it is due! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackjack Production: First Version:
Dan&Dave.com said:
After shuffling and cutting the deck the four aces instantly appear face up on the table. Seconds later four hands of blackjack appear matched in suit.

This is the very same production taught on Disc 3 of The Trilogy (2007). The explanation here is very well written and it includes a lot of drawn illustrations to ensure you fully understand the technique. The production itself is fairly simple but will require a long setup which can be tricky to get into and also remember at first - but with time, it will become difficult to forget. Whilst I am not too keen on the Blackjack Production, this is my favourite method of the two provided.

My Score: 4/5

Blackjack Production: Second Version:
This is exactly the same as above with the exception of the way the production is laid out. I don't personally like this one as much, since it takes much longer and takes away from the "instantaneous" factor of magically revealing four hands of Blackjack. There is ultimately little between these two versions, but some may even enjoy this more than the first. Like always, in the end it is all down to personal taste - this version just wasn't mine.

My Score: 3/5

Collectors: First Version:
Dan&Dave.com said:
Imagine three cards selected and lost in the deck. As the four aces are magically produced, the three selections mysteriously appear between the aces.
Upon first glance, this may seem like the Collectors effect taught in The Trilogy, but it certainly isn't because of one small change - there are 3 selections! The method is actually fairly well written and includes many "Situation Checks" to be sure that you are not lost in the description. There are also various pictures given throughout the production that may help the reader further understand what exactly is going on. Overall, this is a beautiful Collectors effect with a fantastic revelation; displaying a straight row of four Aces sandwiching three face-down selections!

Collectors: Second Version:
Aha! This is the version mostly known as it is indeed the very same method taught in The Trilogy. It is also the method that was first published on page 51 of Genii Magazine. Much like the previous "Second Version" talked about earlier, I don't personally enjoy the method as much as the first. The reason for this is, with one small adjustment you can produce 3 selected cards. (If one is good at Maths, one will realize this is one selection more. I should stop saying "one" now.... ... One. Sorry. I couldn't resist.) It is safe to say that this is arguably a much more impossible feat than just finding two cards; though it is again down to personal taste.

Ferrari 360 Spider:
Dan&Dave.com said:
At one moment a packet actually flips 360· from one hand to the other landing between two packets.
The very cut that got me into flourishing! This is a fantastic quickie that is a great cut for both beginners and advanced flourishers alike. With 3 whole pages for such a short/quick flourish, you can certianly imagine the in-depth coverage. The only 'flaw' (to which I wouldn't even go that far) is that Brian Tudor's Revolution Cut was not explained, which could potentially frustrate the reader slightly. (It depends if you take an Anger Management class.) On the other hand however, this can easily be substituted for a Charlier Cut; a much more practical cut for beginners.

Second Deal Production:
Dan&Dave.com said:
The idea of the production is to demonstrate how to deal to the four aces via the Second Deal. However, on the first attempt to deal a really bad strike second, the four aces appear in a “T” formation on your hand.

This is bloo'y briliant! My favourite item in this volume by far. I could only have wished to bother learning it before I did do - it is a beautiful production and is extremely easy to do as well. After some structuring to the production, this could be made into a beautiful short routine - I could not recommend learning this enough. The explanation is once again very well written and is juxtaposed alongside two photographs; both of which show the process of the production opening.

My Score: 5/5

Molecule 2: As a Cut:
This is one of my all-time favourite flourishes to perform. It's quick, stylish, flashy and surpisingly not that difficult to do (with the exception of the Terry G. Murphy Deck Flip). The explanation here is two and a half pages long and uses nine photographs; it's very well explained but will require practice and effort before becoming entirely comfortable to perform. Despite that, it is certainly worth the time it takes to get down -- this may be a small flourish, but it has a big impact.

My Score: 5/5

Molecule 2: As a One-Card Production:
Dan&Dave.com said:
In the mitts of giving the deck an extremely cool three packet false cut, a selected card literally flips over in mid air and lands face up sticking out of the deck.
If I need a beautiful revelation of a single card; I will use this. Not only is this potentially magician-fooling, but it is also an attractive and ravishingly stunning production. Upon performing the T.G. Murphy Deck Flip, the selected card is left sticking out of the centre; reversed. With just a minor change, you can turn a fantastic flourish into an amazing peice of magic.

My Score: 6/5 :)

Molecule 2: As a Four Production:
Dan&Dave.com said:
This cut can be used to produce one, two or four cards without changing anything.
This is another example of just how creative the Buck Twins are; not only has a flourish been turned into a single cad revelation, it can also be used as a four-card production. Surprislingly, this is not the method or technique people are most used to seeing with the Molecule 2 cut - as the end formation is similar to that of the Second Deal Production reviewed earlier. Again, this is very well written and includes four photographs to demonstrate what is taking place. However, whilst this could possibly be a beautiful production of four cards, it is not my style - and so with that in mind, it is something I will not be using.

Aftertoughts
This was my first Magic PDF and boy was I pleased! For $15 this product was a steal; it includes some fantastic creations of both magic and flourishes - and even a mix of the two. There has been some speculation over the years as to whether the content was explained well enough, and in the context of Nursery Ryhmes Volume 1, it was absolutely fine. Perhaps the only con here is that some moves are required to be known beforehand; ranging from sleights like the Double Undercut to more advanced flourishes such as the Brian Tudor Revolution Cut. Either way, there is something for any card worker here, but it won't come easily. These moves require a lot of effort to get down, but it is safe to say that it will pay off in the end.

Jordan J. D. Lapping - 26.04.2008

Apr 22, 2008
Jordan, that was a splendid review, I own the 3 volumes of NR, and they are great PDF's. I love them.

Santiago Villanueva

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results