PDF Review: S.C.A.R.E.D - Jamie Daws

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Overview: So, I saw this effect released quite some time ago, and it drew my interest however, due to school work etc. it got lost in my thoughts. A recent thread in the Card Magic forum reminded me of the effect, some debate has been made about how the effect is presented - with fair points I have to admit. So earlier today I bought it, dead cheap £5 from magicshop.co.uk :)

Effect: The spectator freely selects a card from the deck, they may sign it if they so wish to make sure you aren't using a duplicate for some reason (acursed spectators these days, accuse us of so much trickery). The card is lost into the deck and the deck is set down on the table. The magician holds the deck by the end and calls upon the spirits of the world to eerily cut the deck to the spectators card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Initial thoughts: Well... I have to say at the moment... as far as impromptu haunted decks go, this has to be my favourite I've come across so far. :) There are no mechanics, magnets, threads, wires, electronics... However, to say this effect is without a gimmick would be a lie if you ask me, but we'll get to that in a moment you impatient little reader you.

About presenting the effect, I have to say I would agree with most of the thoughts expressed by people. Holding the deck does seem a little peculiar if you're calling upon spirits or whatever to cut the deck for you, HOWEVER I do believe there are ways around this if you put a little effort into it, you can read my thoughts here if you so wish.

Method: Well, the method... I have to say is some fantastic thinking. What triggered the initial thought of constructing this gimmick I have no idea, but I'm glad it did so. GIMMICK?! OH LAWDY! -- Calm down, this gimmick is an absolute breeze to make and I can guarantee you have what you need to make it if you have a deck of cards. The gimmick itself is 1 playing card thick, and can be in the deck whilst you perform other effects. It takes about 5 seconds to make and yes you can add it and remove it from the deck with ease if you're comfortable with palming in/out.

Yes you can do this with a borrowed deck and if you don't have your gimmick on you. Yes Jamie does teach how to do this in the pdf... However, he recommends (as do I for that matter) that you BYOGimmick. :)

Variations: You get a couple of variations and tips/handlings on this, from Alan Rorrison, Cameron Francis , Kit Felgate and Peter Eggink as well as an advanced handling/gimmick for the actual S.C.A.R.E.D. effect. The advanced gimmick allows you to hide the gimmick better aswell as comfortably perform the effect in the spectators palms without being scared (no pun intended) of them seeing anything. :)

One of the variations (Rorrison's) ends with the spectators freely chosen signed card having the image of a ghost drawn on the back of it; very cool.

Difficulty: This effect is very very easy to do... However, because of the nature of the effect it's also very difficult to present effectively. You may click the link offered above (if you haven't done so already that is) to see my thoughts on resolving this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Final thoughts: Overall, I think this was a very reasonably priced 'impromptu' haunted deck effect. For £4.99 something that I can and will use, very easy to do and suits my performing personality, I really enjoyed it and I thank Jamie Daws for releasing it.

Of course, do your homework... don't just go by my review, read around and see if you think you'll like it before you buy it. I'm sure Jamie will be happy to answer any questions you have about it, and so will I... but he knows more about it obviously haha.

So there you have it, my review on Jamie Daw's - S.C.A.R.E.D. Hope you enjoyed it and hope if you were considering buying it that it helped you come to some sort of decision.

- Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Thank you for the review. I purchased S.C.A.R.E.D a little while ago, but only perofrmed it once at a small bar close to my house. Since then it has been a speck in the back of my mind. Maybe i'll come back to it ;)

Gustav

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results