Peek Wallets vs. Impression Devices

Sep 6, 2010
For getting thought of numbers, drawing duplications, ect... which one do you recommend? Also, which one is the best for each? Thanks!

Mar 30, 2009
Impression Device (Psypher is cheap and excellent). Anytime where they write something down you want impossibility of peeking to be insane so if they write it down then rip it out and put away for "confirmation later" your notepad (or whatever) is not as suspected vs a wallet where you're storing it? (Raises questions like why do I have to put it in this can't I just put it in my back pocket?) Although impressions can be dirtier they feel cleaner to the spectator....Arcanus Peek is always a good way to go too lol.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
On Peek Wallets vs. Impression Devices...

I go for impression devices hands down. I've never liked peek wallets. I don't care what explanation you have for taking the spectator's business card in your hands and putting it inside your own wallet, but I think that's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard of. Any card magician who did anything remotely equivalent would get laughed out of the building. I don't know how so many mentalists can delude themselves into using such a prop. There are simply far too many disadvantages, which take an extraordinary presentation and performer to get around - and even then, I have my doubts. Why you would want to handle something they've written on is beyond me. Even if you didn't handle it, why you would want to insert it into your own wallet leaves me at a loss. Impression pads are cleaner and more versatile.

As far as which impression pads to go to, I would encourage you to do your own research. Each person has their own preferences. I used Universal Impression for a while (i.e. the predecessor of Psypher). I've found that it does what it needs to perfectly, but just isn't right for me. Different pads use different sorts of gimmicks, and you'll need to play with them to find one that suits you. There's no "best" one. Mentalists will swear by the ones they're using, but there are many different ones in use. As I just mentioned, UI works perfectly, but is not my preferred one.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
They both have their place, and Prae peek wallets work if used correctly.

I agree that each mentalist swears by their current one and I know that you love your Butterfly. Personally if you are going to go with the two part set up (like universal impression) the Para Pad is the way to go and there is no questions asked. I personally like the Tommy Pad however the Butterfly is nice as well.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well, my last post was a lighthearted attempt at saying, "I'm not convinced" and I was going to leave it there, but since it looks like you've a pretty strong opinion, I'd love to know in what context you think a peek wallet could be appropriately used. I personally can't imagine a situation where a real mentalist inserting someone's question into their wallet would be the optimum procedure available, but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise. I just can't see a justification that couldn't be bettered by some other method. There are so many logic holes screaming at me about putting something in your wallet that I really don't know where to begin.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Mine was also meant to come across with a sarcastic feel,i thought you knew me well enough to know that when I make a statement like that there is always an argument to back it up.

The primary reasoning for the use of the wallet is to isolate the billet, we will both agree on that. If the business card comes out of a wallet especially something like the SUC which is a business card wallet it makes sense that it can go back into it. I understand there are much better places to isolate a billet however the times that I do use the wallet I make sure that they are not offered or even considered. Audience selection is a huge part of my performances, so when I plan to do an effect using a wallet I make sure that the audience member has no other reasonable place to isolate the business card.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results