Penguin Deal = Dream?

Jan 16, 2008
Hello all,

I recently found out about a crazy deal on Penguinmagic; purchase any Penguin product under $100 on Penguin, go out and perform it, send the video to them, and get full refund.

Here's the further details,
http://www.penguinmagic.com/borntoperformbonus.php

What's up with this deal? Isn't it too good to be true? Or is there an underlayer of legal matter that I have no clue about? I'd like Draven to contribute his thoughts. ;)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I just read through all the rules. It does look legit. I may have to get into that. Thanks. Video of every day normal guys performing these effects and getting reactions will help Penguin sell their products. Good idea for them.

What is the Pretty Girl Shipping thing...now that looks like an April Fools but maybe not...ha ha.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Well I'm not Draven;), but, it's definitely a unique opportunity (and it is legit!).

I don't have a clue how that will affect sales tho. Considering they needed to start charging for shipping.

I like that it will encourage people to head out and actually perform for real people.

But now the question comes back..."Should magic be caught on film?"

Hey, I looked at this video, and it's legit. I think this is an awesome chance for some of us to really help promote the hobby and promote the magic.

Of course I realize that we're being used as shameless self promotion for Penguin magic, instead of say T11 or E but hey, free magic is free magic!

For those of you who really want to make a name for yourself... this is a good way to start doing it.

For those of you who always whine and moan about how blah blah youtube video, blah blah magician, blah sucks, blah bad magic, internet Waaaaaah! then this is your chance to do something proactive AGAINST these bad youtube crap videos. You wanted a way to combat those vids. Congratz, you got it.

Over all, I'm excited to see how long they run this promotion. I may be interested in participating myself.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
yeah i cant wait till this summer when i turn 16 to try this. super excited. i'll have to look into borrowing a nice camera though.

the pretty girl thing looks ridiculous. i immediately started mind-screaming April Fools!!! April Fools!!! but i just ordered strong magic and it was a shipping option, so i guess its for real. but i already know some pretty girls who love magic muahahaha!!

Jan 16, 2008
If it's legit, then I highly doubt Penguin will survive long purely earning money through shipping. They would be giving away free tricks to EVERY KID with a camera (standard quality counts...just look at Sean Lo's "Inferno" video...not that epic camerawork).
Good thing I just got Artful Mentalism from them.
But can anybody tell me; What if I'm just performing one effect from an entire book? I mean, if I buy 13 Steps, would I have to perform all 13 steps for the camera? It would take around...2 months...every day. Will they refund me if I perform just one?

Thanks.

Jan 13, 2008
If it's legit, then I highly doubt Penguin will survive long purely earning money through shipping. They would be giving away free tricks to EVERY KID with a camera (standard quality counts...just look at Sean Lo's "Inferno" video...not that epic camerawork).
Good thing I just got Artful Mentalism from them.
But can anybody tell me; What if I'm just performing one effect from an entire book? I mean, if I buy 13 Steps, would I have to perform all 13 steps for the camera? It would take around...2 months...every day. Will they refund me if I perform just one?

Thanks.
It only takes one effect from the book.

They won't be losing very much money...if you read the rules, they give you a gift certificate for the amount of your purchase. It's enticing in that it urges you to order additional items, or order more expensive items, since you're essentially getting part of the cost for free. While some may just stay within the bounds of the amount they are reimbursed, I am doubting that the majority would do that.

Either way, it's a small price to pay for the advertisement they'll be getting. Imagine the costs that would go into filming a performance for each project. Yeah, that would get expensive, quickly. Very smart on their part, especially because people will see this as more positive for themselves than for Penguin.

As well, and more importantly, it's only one person per item. The only way you'll get reimbursed for an item is if yours is the first and/or the best performance submitted.

And that brings up one final point...you actually have to perform for real people. How many internet magicians can honestly say they perform for real people, outside of their family? And how many would consider themselves skilled enough to learn and perform a trick in front of real people within a few months?

The contest is really aimed at a select few, and will serve to increase sales in that they will be getting a mass amount of performance videos for their effects, from real people, for real people. Genius. :)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
There is a catch...if there is already a demo video for the "said" effect....yours must be better than the previous one.

I believe this is mainly to get Penguin demo videos for all the effects that they do not have one for yet.

CM763 has stated everything clearly. It still isn't a bad idea though. Especially if you do a great job and get noticed by some potential employers.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Yes...Justin is correct. It is store credit folks...not a refund. A refund would be more tempting but nonetheless it is still a good deal they have going on. Everything I've wanted to do a demo for though already has a video posted by Oz....ha ha.

Jan 13, 2008
Yes...Justin is correct. It is store credit folks...not a refund. A refund would be more tempting but nonetheless it is still a good deal they have going on. Everything I've wanted to do a demo for though already has a video posted by Oz....ha ha.
Oops, "store credit" was indeed the proper wording...that's what I meant by "gift certificate", heh. I should have did a re-read before I posted. :rolleyes:

*hates making spelling/grammar mistakes* -_-

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Basically the same thing...store credit...gift certificate for more purchases...it's all the same. Ha Ha. It is great marketing.

Jan 16, 2008
Oh...so will it be correct in saying they're doing a "buy one get one free", but with a good performance in order to get the deal?
I would prefer a refund. Good thing I asked T11 forums first :D
Thanks CM.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Chris..that is the purpose. Technically you are not receiving any money back. You are just ordering more from Penguin again and again getting them the advertising they are seeking. It is in fact free magic in a way but only if your video is better than all others or if you have selected an effect that they don't have a video for yet.

Example: Rick Everhart buys Invisible Deck by Oz and I perform it, but they don't think mine is as good as Oz's....I'm probably out the money that I just used to buy the effect and see nothing in return.

What they are looking for: Rick Everhart buys an effect that isn't providing Penguin with much sales and there is no demo video....I make a killer video with great magic and reactions....this will (should) increase the number of purchases on that effect, thus benefiting Penguin.

However...I do see the benefit that you are getting your name out there and people are seeing you perform as well so it is kind of neat because now people start thinking, "Wow..who is this dude performing these effects? I like him. We need to use him somehow."

Now...Penguin then sends me the Gift Certificate for the $20 and I have to use it on magic again. I am just buying more from the store and they are banking on you purchasing over what the certificate was.

The trouble is that I am not finding any effects that I want that they don't have a demo for yet.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results