Penn Jillette Exposes Magic?

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I saw the original video 20 minutes after it was posted. I personally think Xavier is taking every little bit of evidence he can for the “magic YouTube exposure” argument. It kind of feels like he’s going a little overkill. But that’s just my opinion.
I have to agree with you. I had a feeling that some YouTuber was going to use this video for that argument.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

It's almost like Xavior Spade is unfamiliar with Penn Jillette. Penn Jillette has been Exposing Magic for FREE!!! before Xavior Spade was born.

I don't get what Xavior Spade was thinking "a magician who is known for Exposing Magic for FREE!!! is Exposing Magic for FREE!!! I'll do a reaction video."

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Seemed like clickbait a little bit. Penn didn't reveal marketed effects. I really like Spade, but I think he's reaching here a bit.
He's accused of "revealing" magic, so he's grabbing any argument he can.
Honestly, I first learned magic tricks from Criss Angel's YouTube "Teach a Trick" portion of his channel. Not marketed effects, just basically party tricks.
Spade should stick to tutorials and methodology....

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
For those not familiar: Penn Jillette is a legend , Xavior Spade is a budding magician who has published himself very successfully on YouTube. So the thing is that Xavior Spade in the mentioned video is saying that Penn has exposed at least two methods in magic. The method is the way of achieving a certain effect in magic.

So the two methods in question are: The Topit, and Instant Stooging. Both of these methods are commonly employed by professional magician.

These are my thoughts....I too feel that Xavior Spade is reaching a little. When I first saw the video, I gave it a fair chance as I do everything else. However, after watching it a second time I said to myself that Penn Jillette has a much greater presence in the magic community than does Xavior Spade . Then I thought that what if my lard ass(Not insulting Xavior Spade just myself, because I'm fat!!) started criticizing Michael Jordan because his crossover wasn't perfect on a particular play on a public platform I would be laughed at. I'm a nobody, I realize that, I have been at Theory11 for six years now and maybe I have learned a tiny bit of magic. I made some friends such as @CWhite who are very supportive and enter me in all the magic contests around ;) I understand that Xavior Spades has 52k followers and is doing well for himself. That being said it still doesn't give him the leeway to squeak his way into legend hood. I'll give you a couple of example I lose 100 pounds get very fit and enter myself into a College Level Basketball team..... Who cares I'm still nowhere near Michael Jordan, so I wouldn't get online posting a video comparing my crossover to his, there is no point.... I'm pretty good with this particular move known as Up The Ladder, but I would never post a video of Charlie Miller saying he didn't do this right or that right. Charlie Millers Up The Ladder would annihilate mine during his hay day, anytime.

The above paragraph is just me trying to elucidate the topit ... ahem...excuse me , I meant topic at hand. I hope no one gets offended by what I have said or gets like this :mad:

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
"I haven't heard anyone buzzing about this Penn 'exposure'..."

Uh yeah, because it isn't really isn't exposure. Can anyone who watches it explain how a Topit actually works? No. And, how many magicians do you know that use a Topit? As for the instant stooge, the concept is exposed in the movie, all Penn did was put a name to it. And also, the typical use is not in illusions but elsewhere where most people won't think of it. And, finally, how many effects do you do that require an instant stooge? Dual reality is more common for the reasons Penn gave for not using an instant stooge. This is no more exposure than if I said you can do card tricks with false shuffles, multiple shifts and bottom deals. Yeah, but out of context of an actual effect, it is impossible to put the pieces together.

Yawn.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results