Penn & Teller just fooled magicians for no apparent reason.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Let me start by saying that performing Magic is a gift - for reasons we all love.
However, I can't help but feel that performing magic can also be a curse, because it ruins "normal" magic that was intended for laymen. I try and be a good spectator and not grill someones hands, and get involved in the story, but sometimes you just catch yourself trying to dismagicify a trick. I recently saw a clip of Penn & Teller on a morning talk show, and started to ruin the magic for myself. Here's the clip, trick starts at 1:31, is about 4 min long:
In this clip, I see something happen which I automatically assume was part of the trick. Obviously I wont reveal it, but if you have any experience with magic, and are watching as a magician and not a layman, you will catch it. However, the most bewildering ting is that the move Penn performed here was made to throw off magicians. I'm left guessing stupid methods that are normally described to me by laymen.

So the question is; Why? Why would Penn & Teller go on live television, and still fool magicians. My answer: They're better than us. They know that only expert magicians (whom I'm sure are on these forums) will know what happened, and even then they want us to keep guessing. They want to provide magicians with magic, and they are one of the few peoples that can do it (and yes, peoples was used correctly there... I think. I'm 80-90% sure.)

Thoughts?

Oct 19, 2015
I have mixed feelings about Penn and Teller! I love their show 'Fool Me' as they have lots of really good magicians on the show and it is very entertaining and informative for folks who do magic. But, and this is a big but, the frequently reveal techniques during their portion of that show....that I hate from them or anyone! They also mix their personal politics into there shows, not on Fool Me, but on other televised shows and for sure when performing in Vegas....and I hate that also...! So I am mixed on them, but I do recognize that they are great magicians.....!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I love Penn and Teller and they regularly fool me. Teller is one of the great magic minds in the world. He is extremely articulate and I try to perform my magic in a way that they would enjoy, although if I'm honest I fail almost constantly.

They have a theory that magic is profound and smart. It should appeal to the most intelligent. They make a conscious effort to make magic more than tricks, they want you to question things.

I don't always agree with them politically but I can enjoy their magic, much in the same way that I do not agree with Katy Perry, Cher or Bob Dylan politically. I can enjoy their music though and their opposing views challenge my own. I think that's a good thing.

They have a theory about methods that I agree with to some extent. That is, if the method is more beautiful than the effect then it is the artist's obligation to show the one that is more beautiful.

That said, this isn't what is happening on Fool Us. I think on Fool Us when they tip portions of the method it is largely by accident. Penn says a little bit too much in his effort to communicate that he wasn't fooled. I don't think that there is any malice here, its just a poor choice of words and some bad editing.

I try to be as original as Penn and Teller in my own presentations, but alas it is very difficult. If I was as creative as they are I assume that I would fool magicians more as well.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
One thing I would like to point out is that there words do not relate to all magicians, and definitely fly over the heads of laymen. I mean, there is stuff they said that is so blatently obvious to us, but I never realized before I got deep into magic.

Reactions: Timewise64
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Some people care about performing for magicians. The rest of us worry about performing for laymen. Laymen are our bread and butter. Our market. They are the real audiences.
I agree completely.
Also, I shouldn't have laughed, but referring to people as bread and butter is just funny :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results