People grabbing at you

Jun 8, 2008
So i was doing some simple tricks at a party next door, and I blew this one girl away she sort of did the yelling and screaming then she kind turned her body and acted all dumb founded then she started like grabbing me and going into my pockets and stuff.

I'm still a beginner, so i was just wondering if you guys get this.

I've come up with a couple reasons why she was doing it.

1. She was attracted to me and she wanted to touch me

2. I wasn't clean enough with my sleights

3. She was just trying to be a pain in the butt.

anyways after the fact I gave her the cards to shuffle and then i forced a card. and did a simple mind reading story and blew her away with that. So i think i recovered from it nicely.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
I dont think its number 1 but anyway what kind of tricks where you doing where you open with them if its like a coin trick people usually want to rummage your pockets for gold or something its like i dont know what your looking for

Jun 8, 2008
Well the point of the thread is that I was just curious if this happends a lot.

I was doing a gaff trick I just did a colour change to make the Ace of spade vanish.

Then she started like grabbing me and going into my pockets and stuff.

uhh...not to sound weird but where did she "grab you", if it was like a drunken grab to make sure she doesn't like fall and then like checks your pocket's because she's drunk or is it like, a hug kinda grab like "that was the best trick ever" and then thinks about it and checks your pockets to even amaze her even more that there's nothing that helped u do the trick in there.

I've had people check my pockets but not really "grab" me as you call it. If this happens i would be probably weirded out or like happy i did a great trick.

Nov 17, 2007
Well, what you've got there is a classic case of a slut. No I'm joking. That was a bit uncalled for. Haha. I can't really help you out since I wasn't there but she probably was impressed and wanted attention. So, that would be my guess. That's never happened to me before so I don't really know what to say. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

Oct 8, 2007
Hold the deck near your crotch. No one will reach/grab there.

Unless people like doing that in the middle of a magic trick.

Hold the deck near your crotch. No one will reach/grab there.

Unless people like doing that in the middle of a magic trick.

i can see a video like that being made, called Awkward Magic, the guy does his tricks all in that area, and the people have to pick the card in that area and watch every trick he does in that position. :D

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
I get girls grabbing at my deck all the time. It's not really magic-related though. You just kind of get used to it after a while I guess...>.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 30, 2008
DC
It really depends what trick you did.

Something like a Raven or M5 vanish might have people grabbing your pockets or sleeves to see where the object dissapeared.

If you did some sleight of hand with a coin, people might grab your hands or ask you to turn them over on both sides/

If you did a bill change, like Prophet, Extreme Burn, or Hundy 500, people will definetly freak out, but they are more prone to grab you. Especially girls, if they are 'slutty', and you are doing a 1 to 100 change, you never know where they might grab...But I wouldn't count on that.

Sep 1, 2007
California
Well, here's the deal. The problem you've got is one of audience control. You need to assert a presence, and then no one will touch you. The closest you should ever get to anything of the sort is a spectator groveling at your feet. Anyhow, try to maintain distance. If it's at a party, then control your crowd and keep them into your act. If your scenarios are too cramped, then try performing different types of magic at certain places to increse your advantage over the audience. The last thing you want is someone messing up the flow of your act. The previous stuff was a highly condensed and easy version of what I have read and talked to professional magicians about, so try to expand on that. The magic cafe, although biased in many ways, may be able to provide you with some information regarding this problem of yours.

Remember, this has only happened once... from what I can tell? This is good. Just make sure it doesn't happen again; in the case that it does, look back and pay attention to the effects you performed, how you positioned your audience, and how you established your presence before performing. These are key things to pay attention to and write down as they will eventually reveal to you a pattern of how audiences at different places react to different effects under the same, or different, circumstances.

Hope that helped =) PM me if you have any further questions

Sep 1, 2007
California
It really depends what trick you did.

Something like a Raven or M5 vanish might have people grabbing your pockets or sleeves to see where the object dissapeared.

If you did some sleight of hand with a coin, people might grab your hands or ask you to turn them over on both sides/

If you did a bill change, like Prophet, Extreme Burn, or Hundy 500, people will definetly freak out, but they are more prone to grab you. Especially girls, if they are 'slutty', and you are doing a 1 to 100 change, you never know where they might grab...But I wouldn't count on that.

Once again, assert yourself and make sure your presence and limits are not transgressed. Something as clean as the M5 or raven Vanish will leave spectators wanting to grab, but that is just an indication of lack of ability to present well. In all my years of using the raven, with high school kids as well (who happen to be the most annoying or BEST audiences ever), I have never been questioned on having stuff up my sleeves or stuff in my pockets.

An important thing to remember is to have multiple outs. By that, I mean ways to convince your audience you are hiding nothing. if you even have to worry about your audience thinking something is fishy up your sleeves or in your pocket, then you should know in your head you have not perfected your presentation. For something that requires such little sleight of hand like the raven, the presentation should live up to the effect itself. That means... make your performance a tad more flashy. Possibly misdirect attention from the sleeves by not looking up from your hands after the vanish is completed. An important tip offered by numerous professionals is to elongate the time between the "move" and the actual sleight. This misdirection can keep the spectators eyes and focus on your hands while reacting, giving you enough time to nonchalantly roll up your sleeves. When the spectators realize your sleeves are up, they have already ruled out the possibility of anything being there. It's all mental, and there is ALWAYS more to an effect than the sleight itself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results