Performance Stories - With Information To You All

Still transferring some threads...

Hey Everyone,

This might already sound like another performance story, which it is, but I am also giving some information along with it, and what I learned. So away I go...

:: The Performance Story ::

A while ago I just got back from a party with a bunch of my friends. We went to this choir camp this summer at the University of Illinois, and we have had all of these parties since. We will all get together, and just have loads of fun doing anything that comes to mind. Like, tonight, the person who was having the party, was throwing away their Christmas Tree. We also had a bonfire in the backyard. So why make it hard on the Garbage and Recycle Collectors, when we could just burn the tree. Crazy I know, but I told you we do random things!

So we were outside at the bonfire, and just goofing around and listening to music. Now I was extremely hesitant at first because none of those friends of mine have seen me perform before. But I finally committed to performing for my friend Joe.

I started off talking to him, and began to do my ACR. Going back on it, I wish I improved my ACR a bit, but it is on my agenda now. So I made the card jump to the top several times, including all of the patter. I then brought him to a type of picnic table, and I started to perform my Sandwich routine. I take out any two Aces, and I say that they are the Ace Detectives for the city of cards. I then to dribble the deck as in referrencing the city to be those cards. I then told him that his card actually comitted a crime. He actually murdered a a Jack of Spades.

I then told him that once the card killed the Jack of Spades, his signed card ran off into the city. So I stuck the card in, and gave it a shuffle as I told him that he ran throughout the whole city trying to get away from the crime scene. I then took the Ace Detectives and I told him that people have been calling for several minutes reporting a murder, so the Detectives are called into the city. Then question some other cards, but they didn't see anyone running away.

I then proceed to tell Joe that the Detectives are going to use their own method to capture this criminal. They are going to actually catch or sandwich the card inbetween them. I let him examine the Aces, before and during the routine at this point if they want. I then dribble the cards and showing that I caught one card inbetween the Aces that was flipped over. I of course then revealed that the card was theirs, and that they caught the criminal. After this, I gave him the card to keep.

:: After Thoughts ::

This whole performance went really well, and he was a great spectator. But I do want to point out somethings that happened during the performance.

The reactions I got from him were great, and he was smiling and laughing like a mad man. He enjoyed the performance a lot, and even said so himself. He also said some stuff like I was David Blaine, but better hehe.

One thing inparticular though, was when I told him what card his card murdered in the patter. I said it was a Jack of Spades, but then he started saying things like,

"Ooooo! Can it be a Queen, please!"

It was a great way to have comic relief, and it helped the performance a lot because it was relaxing to have that happen. It is such a subtle thing, but I felt an even stronger connection with him then during the performance. I was able to go along too, and laugh with him. This doesn't seem like much, but I urge you all to go along with the spectator at times. Be firm when needed, but otherwise try and be as relaxed and laid back as possible. You are not only able to perform better, but you can have loads of fun performing, and with the spectators as well.

The point of this, is to interact, and try to relax with your spectators. If you can do this, then you will have a huge advantage in magic.

:: The Performance Story ::

A little bit after my performance with Joe, I asked to show him something else, with another guy. I was going to perform a simple 2CM. But me and my big mouth, a few others heard me and came over. I at first paniced, but then just relaxed and though about the last performance. It cooled me down, and I went on with things.

I began to show the Queen, and I was going to place it in another one of my friend's hands. But right at this moment, Joe said,

"Hey! I thought that Queen was dead!"

This once again was perfect, and allowed me to have some comic relief in the performance. I continued on, and I had it where I was placing the cards in his hands again. But as many of you know, this effect does need a bit of audience control. But I won't say where to avoid exposure.

So I continued on, and the cards changed in his hand. I then had them appear inside the middle of the deck. This was a very short but nice performance.

:: After Thoughts ::

Once again with this, I received awesome reactions from everyone. They started saying things like,

"What the ****, they turned into Aces!"

But that is off this subject, right now I am bringing back the relationship with the spectators that I talked about before.

As I said, with this effect as you owners of it know, it needs a little bit of audience control. It usually isn't that hard to deal with, but it could be easier. But what?! How is this relating to relationships with your spectators? It relates with it because when you have developed a relationship with a spectator, they can trust you more, and they tend to obey you more often.

So with this example, I encourage you to develop that relationship with your spectators early, so it can come back into play later in your performance, like it did for me here. Also that relationship was helped out because we are already friends, but also because of that wise crack my friend Joe made.

Relationships can make all the difference ladies and gentleman, use it to your advantage, and to theirs.

Take Care,
Trevor

Most definitely making a relationship to a spectator will increase the trust and cooperation between the magician and spectator.

Of course there are many ways to complete the "bond". As one of the ways you stated was comic relief, there are indeed many others, maybe just having something in common, or something else, fact is, trust is trust and whilst in a magician situation, bonding is indeed one of the major factors in what happens later on.

& when that bond is in place, it is now at your advantage to make the best possible performance for yourself, and the best possible experience for the spectator(s).

Aug 31, 2007
California
Good stuff Trevor, I am glad you learned from the experience.

I want everyone to learn to dissect their performances like this. Write them down, write the good parts and the bad parts.

Learn from your experiences, good and bad.

Keenan

Good stuff Trevor, I am glad you learned from the experience.

I want everyone to learn to dissect their performances like this. Write them down, write the good parts and the bad parts.

Learn from your experiences, good and bad.

Keenan

Thanks for the comment Keenan.

Always, learn from your mistakes. It's the best resource for learning out there.

Trevor

Oh yes I've learned from my many mistakes, since I haven't been doing magic long there's lots of mistakes I still make.

My favourite memory though is when I performed Stigmata at my Grandpa's birthday party for a whole room of people, Someone got so freaked out they had to sit down and get water since they almost over-heated or had some sort of panic attack. That's just one of my favourite stories and looking back I still could've made the letters in my arm a bit darker and gave some more sound effects when rubbing and moving my arm.

-RA69

Oh yes I've learned from my many mistakes, since I haven't been doing magic long there's lots of mistakes I still make.

My favourite memory though is when I performed Stigmata at my Grandpa's birthday party for a whole room of people, Someone got so freaked out they had to sit down and get water since they almost over-heated or had some sort of panic attack. That's just one of my favourite stories and looking back I still could've made the letters in my arm a bit darker and gave some more sound effects when rubbing and moving my arm.

-RA69

Thanks for sharing the story ace! I've had a few of those, where people become "almost paniced".

Congrats on it!

Trevor

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results