Performing Card Tricks for Children's Show?

Dec 7, 2016
Hi All.

As I'm still a beginner to performing magic. I haven't had much time to expand my magic to spongeballs, coins and so on. I only know Card Magic. I'm in a position where I could get gigs at children's parties. However I feel as though Card tricks can be a little complicated for children? Take the Classics like Chicago Opener, ACR, The Switch or AKA Two Card Monte and so on. Do you guys reckon I'm being ridiculous in thinking that? And what's your thoughts on good card tricks for children?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Hi All.

As I'm still a beginner to performing magic. I haven't had much time to expand my magic to spongeballs, coins and so on. I only know Card Magic. I'm in a position where I could get gigs at children's parties. However I feel as though Card tricks can be a little complicated for children? Take the Classics like Chicago Opener, ACR, The Switch or AKA Two Card Monte and so on. Do you guys reckon I'm being ridiculous in thinking that? And what's your thoughts on good card tricks for children?

Card tricks can be very iffy. I think the big problem is that a basic sdeck of Bicycles aren't relatable at all. The suits and denominations only mean something to US as a way to denote a cards individuality.

With that in mind, I'd personally use blank cards that they can either sign of draw on.

I know of an Ambitious Card routine that uses blanks in which a dog is drawn into a card and it always come to you/top of the deck when you command it to.

I had an idea where I would have a rabbit 'hop' up through a deck of cards with Raise Rise.

I'm currently trying to learn an Oil & Water routine using Pokémon cards (Dark and Fairy pokemon don't get along).

And if you have a (CLEAN) table to work on. Tiny Plunger/Magical Plunger

Reactions: GrahamHorgan

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Do not take a children's show and just do card tricks. None of the tricks you have named would work for children's show. Entertaining children is very different than performing card tricks for adults. You, the magician, have to be entertaining. The magic needs to be understandable and you need to have interesting props. You can do tricks with cards for children, but not card tricks.

Dec 7, 2016
Thanks guys.

@Brett. You said it right about the suits and numbers. That's why it would be hard for them to understand. Or least enjoy it as much as an adult does. Adults are much more aware of all the suits and pictures cards. I'll look into a blank version of the ACR. Thanks for the tips. And good luck with your Pokemon Oil and Water. It sounds like you're onto something great.

@ReailtyOne. Thanks again for your input man. I won't do any children's parties for now then. Spongeball magic is my next learning area. So at least I'll have something for younger people next time around.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Card tricks that work for kids are few and far between. Here are a few that work.

Tracking device by Jay Sankey

Cards across, get the kids to count out loud with you.

Cards from mouth

Flap Jacks by Paul Harris

Linking Cards by Paul Harris

Twilight Angels by Paul Harris

The Omni Deck

Feb 18, 2015
Yeah! Sponge balls work great for kids! If you search for card tricks, you may find some. The ambitious card routine where you draw a dog or a balloon and it rises to the top is great too, but most card tricks as you mentioned like the 2 Card Monte is too complicated. Like RealityOne said, be entertaining as a performer, and less of a "cool amazing card trick guy". You personality and style really begins to grow when you do card tricks for kids, while your sleight of hand and amazement comes from adults and older kids.

Dec 7, 2016
Card tricks that work for kids are few and far between. Here are a few that work.

Tracking device by Jay Sankey

Cards across, get the kids to count out loud with you.

Cards from mouth

Flap Jacks by Paul Harris

Linking Cards by Paul Harris

Twilight Angels by Paul Harris

The Omni Deck
Thank you very much Josh for all of them.

Dec 7, 2016
Yeah! Sponge balls work great for kids! If you search for card tricks, you may find some. The ambitious card routine where you draw a dog or a balloon and it rises to the top is great too, but most card tricks as you mentioned like the 2 Card Monte is too complicated. Like RealityOne said, be entertaining as a performer, and less of a "cool amazing card trick guy". You personality and style really begins to grow when you do card tricks for kids, while your sleight of hand and amazement comes from adults and older kids.
Great advice. You're right on. Thank you Kolebear.

Nov 25, 2016
India ,Cochin
Not sure if this has already been recommended to you but get a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Everything you need for a good and textured show is in that book. You can find it pretty cheap. Try Thriftbooks.com.

Yea that's true it's a great book @RealityOne referred it to me and I got my copy its got a lot of content ......... With it you can learn tricks for kid's and adult's too.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm sure he's getting money from this somehow.

Unfortunately, not. Nonetheless, it is the best book out there for beginners. The more you learn about magic, the more you learn that the methods in that book are pretty advanced. In another thread, people are talking about Wayne Houchin's French Kiss being based on Scarne's Switchcraft. For a different version, check out Mark Wilson's Instant Transpo.

Everything you need for a good and textured show is in that book.

That got me thinking... https://www.theory11.com/forums/thr...-mark-wilsons-complete-course-in-magic.47121/

Dec 7, 2016
Unfortunately, not. Nonetheless, it is the best book out there for beginners. The more you learn about magic, the more you learn that the methods in that book are pretty advanced. In another thread, people are talking about Wayne Houchin's French Kiss being based on Scarne's Switchcraft. For a different version, check out Mark Wilson's Instant Transpo.

That got me thinking... https://www.theory11.com/forums/thr...-mark-wilsons-complete-course-in-magic.47121/
I must ask then. Which one is better? Or which should I get first? And why? Mark Wilsons Complete Course On Magic OR The Approach by Jamie D. Grant.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I must ask then. Which one is better? Or which should I get first? And why? Mark Wilsons Complete Course On Magic OR The Approach by Jamie D. Grant.

@GrahamHorgan they are two very different books. Mark Wilson's Complete Course will give you the best introduction to every type of magic. The Approach is about becoming a professional magician.

You started this thread by saying you are very much a beginner to performing magic. I think everyone should learn the fundamentals of magic before they start doing paid performances. A good start for the fundamentals is Mark Wilson's Complete Course. At around $15 new, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is an amazing value.

My sense is that you need to start performing more often and start performing a wider range of effects. As you do that, you will find that you gravitate toward certain effect and presentations. You will begin to find your character. You will find out what works and what doesn't work. It really takes around a year. At that point, you will be ready to start reading some of the magic theory because you will have experiences that will help make sense out of the theory. There is stuff that is practical like Larry Haas' Transformations, Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment (which I highly recommend), Pete McCabe's Scripting Magic and The Approach (which I have not read) as well as more theoretical stuff like Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic or Designing Miracles, Juan Tamariz's Five Points in Magic or The Magic Way.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm in a position where I could get gigs at children's parties.

One other thing that I wanted to point out is that doing magic for children is actually more difficult than doing magic for adults. It is much more difficult to keep their interest and much worse when they lose interest (how may adults will stand up and yell out "Mommy, I'm bored" when you are doing a trick?). There are approaches and skills that are unique to performing to children. Most importantly, you have to really like children and know how to relate to them. You have to understand how children act and react and structure your presentation accordingly Children can sense inexperience and an inexperienced magician in front of a group of kids will have a very rough time. There also are significant differences between ages of kids. I group kids in the under 5 group, the 5 to 8 group, the 9 to 13 group and the over 14 (which are pretty much the same as adults).

The key to any magic show is don't try to sell a show you don't have performance ready. Performance ready means you have the effects listed out, the presentation scripted and have practiced the entire show 25 times or more.

The magic needs to be understandable and you need to have interesting props..

Let me clarify what I said about needing interesting props. I'm not talking about the magic shop kids props like Run Rabbit Run or Hippity Hoppit Rabits. I'm talking about a variety of effects with different texture. My typical 45 minute kids show is as follows:

Billiard Balls (Alan Wakeling's routine with a collapsable top hat and appearing cane to music)
Vanish and Clink (Coins disappear when handed to spectators and then reappear when tossed into glass using David Regal's Clink)
Alexander the Dragon (linking rings routine about a young dragon who falls into a deep hole on his way home from school)
Cups and 8 Balls (Cups and ball routine with final reveal of 3, 4 and 5 Balls and then 6, 7 and 8 balls)
Bigger Card (Mark Wilson's Complete Course) / David Ginn English Sheepdog Puppet Routine/ Jumbo McCombical Deck
Houdini Rope Trick (Roberto Giobbi's Professor's Nightmare type trick)
Silly String of Death (A routette routine with cans of silly string by Stephane Bourgoin )
Harvey and Lola Benson Bunny Burner (Tom Stone's Benson Burner with Collapsable Top Hat and 3D Sponge Bunnies)

Depending on the ages, I can substitute my Invisible Deck routine (with a beachball and music) for the Billiard Balls, a Miser's Dream routine for Vanish and Clink, my other Linking Rings routine (to Fireflies) for Alexander the Dragon, my Card to Bottle for the Bigger Card routine, the Vanishing Bandana for the McCombical Deck, my Mismade Zebra (silks and change bag) routine for Silly String of Death and my Egg Bag Routine for the Benson Burner.

As you can see, there is only two tricks with cards (Bigger Card and McCombical Deck).

Apr 16, 2017
Hey guys, how about michael skinner's 3 card monte, let children guessing the right card (actually they can't) would be a fun trick or not?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys, how about michael skinner's 3 card monte, let children guessing the right card (actually they can't) would be a fun trick or not?

Probably not. It would be viewed as a challenge and I think the kids would be inclined to grab the props once they got frustrated. Better to do a color monte routine where the magician is explaining what happened to him.

Oct 19, 2015
I am fairly new to doing magic and my purpose is primarily to entertain my Grandkids! They range in age from 21(twins) to 2years. If the twins are with us, I do throw in 3-4 card tricks, otherwise none are used. Below is my current inventory of tricks I use for my Grandkids when the twins are not present. All the above information is great....I purchased Mark's Wilsons book within about two weeks of joining this website. It helped me get started, and I use it all the time....I look for tricks that are very visual, lots of color and action, the last show I did was for all my Grandkids, some friends they had over and of course the parents....it went very well, got lots of laughs and the reaction of my Grandkids was priceless....

Balloon Warm Up
Water of India (Lota Bowl)
The Joker Tube Pro Model
Chinese Egg Mat
Professors Nightmare - 3 Rope Change
Cut and Restored Rope
PK Kinetic Ring used to disappear balls on my Chop Cup routine
Milk Pitcher Routine - Funnel and Pump
Change Bag with Zipper /3 silks linking turn into rubber chicken
Card Change
Cups and Balls
Chop Cup
Egg Bag
Scotch and Soda Coin Trick
Balloons and Needles
Deluxe Chinese Sticks

Props and Gags
Clattering Teeth
Rubber Chicken
Magic Wand-Broken Wand-Wiggle Wand
Confetti Wand used with Milk Pitcher
Purse Frame (Sponge Balls) + Mouth Coils

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I am sure you have seen my video on "The Importance of Theming Your Magic." But just in case you have not I will go ahead and leave it here! Maybe it may help inspire some creative ideas? You can use magic you already know but theme it to fit the event you are doing! (i.e. my pokemon card trick.) I have even used "Frozen" playing cards to do a little girls birthday party and had Olaf and Anna rescue Queen Elsa in a fun little ambitious card type effect.

As for magic you can perform in addition to card magic, I suggest some of the following:

-Magic Coloring Book: Super easy and you can build it up and make it last 4-5 minutes with a fun and interactive story.
-Sponge balls: I can make a sponge ball routine also last about 4-5 minutes using just a retention vanish. They love when you make the ball vanish from your hand and jump into theirs. I usually bring 5 kids up with me to help and each one gets to try. You would think it gets repetitive, but kids love repetition. Practice a simple retention vanish and you can easily perform a fun sponge ball routine.
-Self Working Gimmicks: Like drawer box, chinese sticks, rising wand, dove pan, etc. These may be very affordab

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
[T]he last show I did was for all my Grandkids, some friends they had over and of course the parents....it went very well, got lots of laughs and the reaction of my Grandkids was priceless....

I think that makes you one of the best paid magicians around :)

Change Bag with Zipper /3 silks linking turn into rubber chicken

I love it. You need to have a silk streamer to pull out of its mouth!

I've done card to rubber chicken and I'm still working on my Rubber Chicken Zig Zag effect.

Reactions: Timewise64
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results