Performing for money ... plz help !

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
First off, let me say i'm not for the idea to perform magic for money, unless it's your career unlike me ... and you have to. Magic is mainly my hobby, and i've never performed for money even when it was offered to me ... I'm decent at performing and people know what i'm capable of. But now i'm in a situation where i need some money asap, the only thing is my parents are contributing, i contributed what i have but i'm still missing some money. I then decided to start performing magic, at High School or outside, for money ... street magic to be precise. BUT i've never done this in my life ... Any suggestion or advice on how to use my talents for $$$ will be much appreciated. I'm in desperate need of help.

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 27, 2011
Im honestly not sure, i dont think people will put money unless you put out a hat(im actually trying to get some money by performing myself) You can also try getting a gig at you local pizza shop etc

Jun 1, 2009
If you are talking about busking, then you're in for a hard road. The easiest way is to probably just get a job doing magic, or just a job in general. I've been fortunate enough to be able to do magic part time for money, and if you feel like you are ready for it, go and talk to some restaurants with a proposal written up.

Jacob

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Building a show takes some time. As you part of the Edmonton magic club? There's lots of great wisdom and experience there. Whyte Ave is an interesting place to start. But you need to work on your own and presentation.

Busking isn't an easy business, you'll need to learn to deal with rejection, but that just makes the success that much more sweeter.
While I am very confident anything you'll need right now to get to making money on magic is posted in my thread series How to Get Gigs and Keep Clients, I'll highlight a few tips I've picked up along the way.

1) Carry Promotional Material With You. You never know who will watch you work, and say "Hey! Can you do .... party?"
2) As mentioned, craigslist is a great tool for finding gigs, IF you know how to use it. There's a lot of crap on there too. If you want quick cash, throw up an ad about yourself and charge less than $200 for an hour or two's show. Charge $50 to $100 if you want quick replies that will leave you over worked, underpaid, and under appreciated... but hey it's cash.
3) You need a hat line. Something you can say at the close of each of your sets to let the audience know it's time to tip you. Rehearse it, know it forward and backward, and commit it as much as any other patter to your presentation. It's your life blood.
4) Perform in highly visible areas, during hours of peek traffic for maximum success.
5) Look into a buskers license in your city, you may need one to perform.
6) The professional game is radically different from the weekend warrior when it comes to magic. The professionals need to deal with presentation, patter, scripting, wardrobe, theming, etc, while the hobbiest just needs to worry about affording the next popular release. You're starting to walk the line that separates those two worlds. Proceed with caution. Once you start down the path of the professional, you may find it hard to go back.
7) Your best chance for making money during a set is dependent on you drawing in (and keeping) a crowd. I'd recommend using something that is visual, and autonomous that you can perform or do, to draw attention to yourself, before you start your set. I've used whip cracking, fire breathing, and chair/ rope ties before to good success.
8) Always empty your hat or jar after each set, you never want them knowing just how much you made/make, and ALWAYS seed the next hat or jar with a five dollar bill and a few ones. Read How To Get Gigs and Keep Clients to understand why this works, and why you NEED to do this.
9) Consider voice amplification, music, speakers, and cordless mic. This really is an investment, but if you're going to do this it's one you need to do. You can get a good cheap mic for around $200 and an excellent PA amp with built in mixer for about $250. Guitar Center.
10) Consider getting a portable magicians table, and while your at it a hand cart for ease of moving things around, in and out of set up.
11) Consider stocking up on cheap magic tricks (like the Svengalli deck) that you can re-sell after your show for a markup price. Example: Buy the deck for $10 bucks a pop, sell them for $20.

Best of luck to you.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Mr. Draven has really given you some sound pointers here but there are a few things you also need to consider;

Firstly, is Magic going to continue as a hobby that "pays for itself" via a party here and there and maybe some weekend warrior type work?

OR

Do you really want to move towards the Pro status?

While some level of over-lap exists the dynamics are quite different. For starters, pros do not consider a client "sold" until after they've done the second or third show for that client at full scale when it comes to pay. If you think about it this will make sense to you. The hobbyist on the other hand, is more likely to work with the same area civic groups over and over on a "gratuity" basis that's way (WAY) below scale (bear in mind that the majority of full time pros see a minimum of around $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 and on the upper-end of things, as much as $5,000.00 isn't all so unusual for private as well as corporate gigs OUTSIDE their residential area. . . granted, this does fluctuate by as much as 30% based on region and economic as well as social-political factors within your market area).

To sum this first part of things up -- Define yourself and then, prepare a plan!

THE PLAN is where most fail but understand that the bigger part of the idea is the word BUSINESS when it comes to the art of "show". If you do not look at your venture as you would any other business investment, you will loose! So do yourself a favor and invest in a couple of fairly inexpensive books starting with Richard Webster's PLAN FOR SUCCESS (you should be able to get it through Stevens Magic Emporium or the Deceptionary ) This is one of the more elementary business focused outlines written by a member of the magic community for the magic community and I can promise you, it will be money well spent provided YOU USE IT!

BUSKING IS NOT a wise move. In my day this was what we did when we didn't have enough cash to cover the rent. It is generally viewed as "low brow" and very "low level" within the general establishment even though it actually has a higher sense of profile and appreciation in the mind of the public; a good sidewalk entertainer is more apt to inspire a young person to learn certain things than some clown on Tv believe it or not. You are accessible and able to cultivate a rapport with people which, if you play it right, can take you a very long way down the yellow brick road. If you plan on taking this route then make it pay; get a merchants/resell permit from your local city clerk so you can sell items legally as part of your spiel. Invest into one or two proven pitch items such as the Magic Mouse, Svengali Decks, etc. trust me, these items have made more than a few people very rich.

If you are taking on a Mentalist mode with things there are other approaches to weigh that I cover in my Psychic Technologies books. The objective here, as with the above, is to lure people in via your "show" and then invite them to "participate" at the next level, be it by learning a trick or getting a cheap Reading or Astrological Forecast (look up the "Astrology Pitch". . . again, big money maker)

The other "trick" to the busking scene is to get scheduled into street fairs and other area civic functions strictly for the tip and if they will allow it, your pitch. As you start out visibility is far more important than the money, though you do need to hustle in order to bring in the rent, as it were.

LITERATURE is a major issue as has been mentioned; people can't buy something if they don't know about it or how to find it. Now days this step requires you to have a Web-Site and for less than $20.00 a month you have have a decent site with your own URL vial Yahoo or other reputable hosts. DON'T BE CHEAP! Get someone to help you create a clean and easy to traverse site that is not overly wordy or filled with flash, loud music and other obnoxiousness. While such things may seem "cool" when you're young, they don't appeal to the folks that actually write the bigger pay checks. If your web site won't load easily on a dial up modem, you will loose business! It would blow your mind to know just how many major talent bookers deliberately use dial-up when checking a web address. The reason is quite logical; these people don't have time to deal with all the junk, they want a sharp and concise presentation, not an MTv mini-show.

Your literature should match the style (layout, colors, font, etc.) of your web site as should your primary business cards and anything else that is used in your marketing, it's what is known as "Branding" and it is quite important (and why Microsoft has all those matching template sets when you work with OFFICE).

If you are doing a product pitch, make certain every customer gets your brochure. . . it may be one on taking a Magic Class for an example. Try to put as many brochures as you can into the hands of MOTHERS that may be present; a brochure that gives them information about your party services be it for kids only or a combination of kid & adult programs but DO NOT give prices other than saying something like "Starting as low as $150.00" or "Competitive Pricing". Too, it wouldn't hurt to have some kind of small display that does nothing but present your brochures for the taking. . . I know that this and the pitch item elements means more stuff to lug around, but it all pays for itself in short time.

LOCATION is another huge issue (and part of business 101 logic -- location & packaging). Try to work with your local parks & recreation department as much as possible. The other community resources include the city planning commission, groups like the Jaycee's or Lions club and of course, the Chamber of Commerce -- getting the right locations means generating direct support a.k.a. playing politics and kissing butt. You need to make the people who make decisions your chums so they will open doors for you and give you what you need when it comes to prime working sites where a solid traffic flow exists.

Another old bit of business is to get the merchants (usually 3 will be involved) that operate at the spot you want to work, to "sponsor" you. It's not a cash kind of thing but simply a formal statement on their letterhead that says they don't have a problem with you working in front of their establishment and perhaps why they support you. . . kind of a letter of recognition and endorsement. This is ammunition that can come in handy when dealing with civic authorities, getting a performance permit, etc.

DO NOTE: If you can work a pitch into your material that supports these merchants and get them to bite -- to see you as a living commercial that can create a consumer drive train into their store, you will have much higher levels of success when it comes to this particular course of action.​

I realize I just complicated the whole "convenience" of Busking but as I said in the opening, THIS IS A BUSINESS so you must treat it as such and make that investment of time, effort and networking WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE and by DOING THE PROVEN THINGS THAT WORK.

Hope this helps.;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results