Performing New Material

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Hey guys I want to know after what amount of days training you think that a magician should start performing a new effect and explain why..Discuss......

Dec 13, 2007
well... once i feel even remotely comfortable with performing an effect... i like to get out there and perform it ASAP... but i usually perform for like my dad or a friend who does magic... therefor if i flash its ok and i learn what i did right, wrong, and what i need to improve on right off the bat...

Hey guys I want to know after what amount of days training you think that a magician should start performing a new effect and explain why..Discuss......

Personally it all depends on each individual persons standards. Some people go out to perform when they think it's good enough to fool a laymen.

Others practice their tails off, in a mirror, on family and friends, ask for advice until it's perfect and so flawless even some magicians can't figure it out.

Now, there is people who don't fall under those categories, those are both extreme views but, no one is the same.

It's all about how serious you take magic and if your willing to put the time and effort into not only the effect but, the way you present it.

-RA69

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i dont think its so much a matter of days rather just practice. Obviously some effects are easier to get down than others, and you will get to practice a different amount of time each time. I feel that once you are comfortable with an effect and have thought it through very thoroughly you can begin performing. However, what i do at least is practice for a trial audience. I have a few people for whom i always try new effects. These include my gf, and a few select friends. They are ridiculously critical of performance, angles and moves. They tear everything apart and are always honest with me about how well i perform the tricks ranging from moves to patter. I base my decision to perform it for layman on these reactions and also helps me know what i have to practice more. hope this helps

Oct 25, 2007
You can't really rely only on how many number of days you've practice before setting out and amaze people. You have to feel extremely comfortable with your performance before anything else.

I always show new material I've been working on to my family only after I practice to the point where the trick itself feels like second nature to me. If they give me a freakishly, amazing "WOW" factor, only then do I know I'm truly ready to take it and add it to my arsenal.

Sep 4, 2007
I am a perfectionist in magic, I think. If I cannot perform an effect properly, then I will never perform it until I get it. That is why I haven't performed the Queens effect yet; because I've gotten everything down except the part before the first vanish down. As long as I can't fool myself with it, I'm not doing it for a layman.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results