Performing - Tips

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Hey, I will be performing on Saturday for some people at this show, and I was wondering with your experience, which are the most hard hitting effects to perform for a few people around you? Please list some tricks, I do card magic mainly.

Thanks in advance,
Andy.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Hey man, i started out in card work an still enjoy it, depending on my venue (kids,adults,weddings,clubs,etc) some of my personal favorites include...
Tnr-matheiu bich, Torn-danny g.,a A.C.R (ambitious card routine) Fallen-Danny g.a, some Dan & Dan card routines/flurishes, Laced-Dan hauss, Kaos-danny g,i have more but this is jus a few (as u can tell i am a danny garcia fan..lol)

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
As stated before, it depends on the venue, enviroment and/or situation.

I love to perform a few card, money/coin magic and mentalsim (such as "ming reading",peeks, coin/spoon bending).

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Yah i totally forgot to ask, will your performance be in a standing or table situation...plus i agree with incorporating other props, but do it very subtle. Save 2 of your strongest effects, one for the beginnig, the other for the climax, now im not saying do this on all occasion, you yourself andy need to indulge yourself with the crowd, ask questions, if sum1 responds positive to ur question, then use that person to help create the overall mystery, to grab there attention.

Jan 13, 2008
What effects do you know? It's hard to recommend anything if we don't even know what effects you know, and suggesting anything new is kind of pointless because you really won't have the time to learn and practice new effects by Saturday (optimally, you'll have at least a few months to prepare).

Also, how many people are there going to be at each table, and how many people will be watching your table routine (will it be for a small group surrounding your table, a large group surrounding your table, on a stage projected to a large group, etc)?

Once you list what effects you know and answer the above questions, I'll be more than happy to make some suggestions. :)

Jul 14, 2008
My personal favourite would be ACR (card signed), Five Speed, Torn, Dan and Dave Buck materials, Angle Zero, Role Play (by D+M), 2 Card Monte, Criterion (by Chad Nelson), and Collectors as well.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Structure a nice and flowing routine with simply 3 tricks that consists of:

Opener: Something quick and amazing to grab their attention and make them want more.

Middle: Any tricks you want. Has to be stronger than the opener but not as strong as the closer.

Closer: An absolutely impossible trick that completely fries them. This one can be longer than the others but has to be better than the others. This should be your strongest trick.

Encore: Prepare for the possibility of an encore request, where that certain group loves you too much. In that case, doa trick that is not in the same theme as your closer. You don't want your encore and closer to be both gambling routines because chances are your encore will be weaker by comparison, cuz you've saved the best for last and you can't do any better. In that case, choose a completely different topic like Out of This World, Card through window, or an effect with a different prop. That way there's no way to compare the two effects, and the sense of progression is maintained.

Prepare a couple sets of these and perform all three tricks for a crowd, and then move on. If they want an encore, you'll be ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Well the ones I will most probably be performing are:

Witness,
Panic,
Biddle Trick,
Ambitious card (Probably)
Five Speed (Maybe)

And I'm also thinking of adding Angle Zero, as I've heard it is a simple trick which wont take to much preparation.

I wont be there for too long so I don't have to prepare to much.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Nevermind, I've just found out the date was incorrect they told me, it's not for another month /phew. They just rang to confirm.

So now I'll have more time to practise, thanks for all the tips though. :)

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Ya know it would be helpful to know wat effects you have in your arsenal and to know your crowd situation. I love doin table work..i have more options per-say..loading, ditching, sometimes better angles. I just you response to your effects your considering, i like your choices...witness gets killer responses...have you considered D+M "blind", or some mentalism?

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Well I have ordered some books, but they are taking a while to get here. DVD's I find a bit more helpful do to them actually showing how to do it.

I do have some books on the basics, but not good tricks.

EDIT: Also, everyones style of learning is different, some like to visually learn, some like to learn via reading.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Ya know it would be helpful to know wat effects you have in your arsenal and to know your crowd situation. I love doin table work..i have more options per-say..loading, ditching, sometimes better angles. I just you response to your effects your considering, i like your choices...witness gets killer responses...have you considered D+M "blind", or some mentalism?

I've been contemplating getting Blind for a while, aswell as Angle Zero. I can control a crowd decently well.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Try this:

Opener: Ambitious Card (while it may not be a quick trick, the first climaz happens fairly quickly and when done well, it's enough to hook the audience)

Middle Tricks: Biddle Trick (Not too short, not too long but amazing nonetheless)

Closer: Panic (Best of the tricks, will leave them completely dumbfounded)

Encore: Coin Bend, Extreme Burn, Prophet, Digital Dissolve (Choose something that does not pertain to cards, but still has as much impact as Panic)

It's well structured routine with a logical sense of progression, the tricks get more and more amazing, with the last one being the strongest. The encore trick suggested are just as strong, and maybe even stronger, than Panic so that audience is satisfied.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Yeah, I can perform one trick which involves money. One which changes a 5pound note into a 10pound note, then 10pound into 20pound, then 20pound into 50p. Daniel Garcia taught it at a lecture at Blackpool 09.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Books! Duh!...i actually have a few...mostly basic, but i do have some old school pdfs from theodore anneman(14 - 20 of them), al baker, some from danny g...but if u want inspiration/or an idea of wat u want...id recommend a monthly subscription of a magic magizine..if u havent already done so...see at my magic shop, any dvd they have in stock i can preview it for a week, its a really good way to learn..

Sep 1, 2007
Apparently everyone's idea of becoming a better performer is to just buy more stuff until you're successful.

Jesus...

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well what do you know and what type of show will it be.

If you are doing a close up show and have Card College or Art of Astonishment then you could do a pretty decent card magic show with the stuff in there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results