Personal Vault

Sep 11, 2011
You,

I believe all of us serious magicians have a personal vault of moves, sleights and flourishes and possibly new unseen ideas, I've just recently learned that If you do have something original to keep it that way for as long as it take's till it becomes perfect and ready to be shared. If not then you''l only be degrading what could be something extremely valued by yourself and others. Rather than an Idea that's not a finished product.......I'm guilty for this and I just wanted to share that. I hope you guys check out my new Idea I call Psycho I'm working very hard on this to make it the best it can be, so that if it does get released you guys will be just as happy with it as I am.....Thanks for listening to my rant Take care.

Red Lawrence

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Umm, how are we supposed to respond to this? I guess we don't really need to. I'll be watching out for your new product. Hopefully it's better that you're making it sound, because you seem angry that you released it now.

Sep 11, 2011
No Im not angry i just know that i should have waited before i even shared the idea, No worries Psycho is an amazing idea and I will create a routine that will suit this effect very well in time.......All I was saying is to not just hop on the wire and throw something at them even if it is original and awesome.....take the time it deserves and then publish.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I have forum stickies and past articles on VISIONS that deal with this compulsory assumption by every new ego in magic, to poop out a "new" trick or eBook as soon as they can; it's become one of those little things that makes you a "professional" which in truth, it is one of those little things that can (and usually does) make you look like a fool.

Exceptionally few of these creative minds ever research what they have come up with let alone placing it in the hands of people that will work it to death for six months to a year, which is what most of the pros will do. Fewer yet give appropriate credit when it comes to their inspiration, where elements of the routine or trick came from and so forth. A very huge foopah that even noted web merchants do regularly and seemingly, without caring that they do so. . . but that's another story altogether.

Shimada, one of the mid-20th Century's greatest magicians toured his show for nearly 30 years before he started marketing his bird harness and doing lectures about his work let alone videos, etc. Same goes for most of the older sages my generation looked up to as well as the majority of my peers. Even Kevin James held back material for a good 5-10 years if not more, before going commercial with them. The result wasn't just a fairly solid understanding as to what sales potential should be but likewise the type of price he could put on the product.

Patience always pays off. You've seemingly learned a valuable lesson and hopefully, you will be able to inspire other dreamers out there to simply hold on to their creations. Fill up as many notebooks as you have to and then, when the situation is right, offer some of it up as a contribution to a magazine or someone else's book. Let your name become known in a subtle manner so that people begin to look out for it and your thinking; begin to talk about you in a positive (hopefully) light. This is the path of effective marketing and how you will eventually be able to sell most anything.

The way to success is always best taken by way of a slow boat that stays the course.

Sep 11, 2011
Wow Thank you Craig for your words , they were all very true things that really put me In check.

"this compulsory assumption by every new ego in magic, to poop out a "new" trick or eBook as soon as they can; it's become one of those little things that makes you a "professional" which in truth, it is one of those little things that can (and usually does) make you look like a fool."

I should already Know these thing's......But we all make mistakes nobody is perfect I love learning life lesson's especially one's that deal with becoming a better Magician. I was always doing my own thing really, feeding off the the thought of being unique and different. Never a carbon copy, It would much feel better and even more magical performing my own magic.

I didn't take part in a the magic community until recently, I hate the feeling these days performing other's trick's no matter how cool they are and how hard hitting they may be, But I would always love to watch other's perform and try and get inside there mind and see how we differ. Using this I can see what the Magician is trying to portray and possibly use there idea to inspire me to create. Which "creating magic" really brought me up not a parent or guardian. I'm also a high functioning autistic so I was left in my own mind to create what I needed and be happy. My happiness is to show other's what i do Not what other's can.

Even though in the beginning for magic Its really all you got, Are these New trick's that are only the seed's that sow deep in the mind of a beginner/professional that will only bring forth even more powerful advanced art. I cant be normal. I cant be someone else but i can be Red with the help of magic.........and the magic of believing. Your Imagination is more powerful than anything is this whole world.

I know I'm different that's why I love life........

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results