Pikachu Post: Magic Saved Me

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Heya,

I just posted a new little story about myself in magic and how it changed me. In a way it saved me from myself.

Here's the link: http://pikachumagic.tumblr.com

THE BIG THING HERE IS: I want to hear if anyone else has a story like this.

Magic has made me so more open and social, I wonder if it has done the same for anyone else.
Feel free to tell your stories.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Magic has opened doors for me in life but from the sounds of it you just needed a hobby to focus on, it's just lucky for you that you chose magic, everyone loves magic.

I have a similar story... It wasn't that people didn't like me it was more that I didn't really like people before I started magic. I always avoided conversation and enjoyed being alone more than anyone I knew. Everyone thought I was totally depressed and they would constantly ask about it. My parents would always ask me why everyone asked if I was depressed because I was quite normal around family, I was comfortable around them. I wasn't so comfortable around other people. Once I picked up magic everything changed. Most people call me the most crazy person they know now, in a good way of course, and I can easily walk up to people now and entertain a conversation with them whether I know them or not. Anyways, that's my story.

CalvinTan

Elite Member
Exactly. I think magic also taught be how to be more social and taught me how to act in order to be liked.

You are liked because of who you are not because of magic. The magic has allowed people to see who you are. They get to know you through your magic and the social skills that you've developed.

Because of magic, I don't have a fear of public speaking anymore. I can carry conversations with ease and confidence. It has made me a stronger person.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
You are liked because of who you are not because of magic. The magic has allowed people to see who you are. They get to know you through your magic and the social skills that you've developed.

Because of magic, I don't have a fear of public speaking anymore. I can carry conversations with ease and confidence. It has made me a stronger person.

Yeah, I think I phrased that wrong.

You got it Calvin. That is what I meant to say exactly. I can't thank magic enough.

Dec 11, 2010
California
The same goes for me, by performing magic for people it has helped me with being a little more social. I'm glad to see that it has done the same for you and many others

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
I just recently watched Make Believe, the documentary on the Junior Program and World Magic Seminar and I found a great quote.
"Magic is the key that unlocks our personalities, it forces you to participate in life."

Magic has truly helped me discover who I am, that is a teenager's job isn't it. It isn't so much to go to school or to do house chores, it is a time in ones life to discover who you are and follow that into becoming an adult. Magic has helped me find who I am.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Stephen Fry has a quote that he shared on a Derren Brown show "Magic: Revenge of the Nerd"

Magic helped me, especially in high school. I was new in town and joined a new high school a month late. In high school, everyone had their little groups and i was alone in the library, it was hard and sometimes i was not even trying to make new friends. I was introduced to magic a year prior to that but was feeling very very shy to go and perform for a live audience for the first time at school. I made a new friend a month later, and while we were playing cards he decided to do a card trick but messed up. I then took the deck from him and NEVER knew that this moment was about to change the rest of my high school years ... I performed few effects for him with hands shaking uncontrollably, then couple days later... for few peoples, then for groups of people and finally ended up performing for a whole class. My reputation in school grew rapidly, they were all like "Oh he's the guy that did that". It got to a point where students were skipping classes to see me ... I performed for teacher and needless to say i got to make many many friends. That was a few years back, magic helped me because it forced me to talk when i was shy. It helped me annihilate the shyness within me, i can now talk to total strangers as if they were friends, be totally open in public areas and my friends always remind me that they were there being the specs. when it ALL started.

Highschool is about to end, there's tons of videos\photos of me performing but DAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNN, i'm soooo gonna miss these times .... :(

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
It is weird, I kind of want to do real high school now just because of the fact that I am actually social now, but the problem for me is that I can't let school work get in the way of magic, the teachers expect us to do at least 3 hours of homework a night! I just do an independent study program.

I do like the fact that I can be myself now because I know how to be more social.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Well, i get 3 hrs of homework in a week ... And considering that i hold an idle deck for probably more than 3 hrs, play with it for 4 and considering the fact that there are 168 hrs in a week ... 3 hrs is nothing really, especially for studies

It is weird, I kind of want to do real high school now just because of the fact that I am actually social now, but the problem for me is that I can't let school work get in the way of magic, the teachers expect us to do at least 3 hours of homework a night! I just do an independent study program.

I do like the fact that I can be myself now because I know how to be more social.

I was homeschooled up till about a year and a half ago... Honestly, I was just as social in both homeschooling and real highschool when I picked up magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results