Pinky break dilemma...I need help :(

I am currently taking magic lessons from a magician, who has had 5 of his effects published in Magic Magazines, and we've been trying to figure this out. I can do the tilt (with a thumb break), Erdnase color change, ACR (with thumb break only), card to mouth, some false cuts, Elmsley count, etc. but I can not for the life of me get a pinky break! My pinky seems to just want to move lower when I push the card over, let me note by saying that I have a difficult time pushing the card over because I have really dry hands, but..I even have difficulty when my hands are moisturized with lotion.

I remember reading somewhere before about people having similar issues, and I was wondering if any of you may have gone through what I'm going through. When I push over the card, my ring finger gets in the way a lot, and I know that when you push over, it's supposed to sort of ride up and over the ring finger to get to the pinky. My mentor has helped me a bit with working on my mechanics grip, and having me duplicate exactly what he's doing side by side, so it is not on his end, I understand what he's trying to teach me, but my hands for some reason just won't comply, and it's really annoying me.

My mentor has also shown me some alternative ways of getting a pinky break, and that can work, with slight misdirection and need for certain actions, but I need to get it down to where someone can grill my hands, and not notice I am getting a pinky break. I need help, and hopefully, at least one of you has gone through this problem before, and has resolved it. Thanks

Jul 25, 2011
Berlin
Hi, nice to know that I'm not the only one with dry hands. I do not use anything which would moisturize my hands for a limited period of time, since I want to be able to do all sleights in whatever state my hands are in. However, I have fixed the issue of getting a pinky break using four methods: pushing off cards (as you described), riffling with the right thumb (which is basically the worst thing to do when anyone is looking, but sometimes the only alternative), the pinky count and an ingenious principle from "expert card technique" which happens under cover of squaring the deck.
If you think it could help, private message me your email and I shall send you a clip of me performing those actions, which probably looks different from how your mentor does them.

Hi, nice to know that I'm not the only one with dry hands. I do not use anything which would moisturize my hands for a limited period of time, since I want to be able to do all sleights in whatever state my hands are in. However, I have fixed the issue of getting a pinky break using four methods: pushing off cards (as you described), riffling with the right thumb (which is basically the worst thing to do when anyone is looking, but sometimes the only alternative), the pinky count and an ingenious principle from "expert card technique" which happens under cover of squaring the deck.
If you think it could help, private message me your email and I shall send you a clip of me performing those actions, which probably looks different from how your mentor does them.

Thanks Leander, I appreciate it.

Also, Daniel Montagne, I'm not talking about a pinky count here, I'm just talking about sliding off one card and getting a break under my pinky. The deck moves way too much even with tons of pressure, and even with light pressure, and makes my pinky go from above the deck, to right below the deck. I'll upload a video and show you what I mean.

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
i work on the double lift , it's a very hard sleight, in the dvds they always say to do a pinky count but when you see the "live" performance the push two cards and use the right hand to help doing the double

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Don't use the pinky as a guide?

Your second (middle) finger can and should be the finger controlling how many cards are pushed off. (I hope I'm reading your problem correctly).

Apr 11, 2011
I dont really get your problem...but i think it has sumthing to do with friction. try this...mix water and sugar.. try to dip the tip of your fingers into that mixture...
and I know this is disgusting..have u try saliva?..and please try it on the tip of ur finger..not the deck. :)

Aug 31, 2011
The Netherlands
I hope I am understanding the problem correctly.
Try this. At first in a way it is clearly visible what you are doing, later you can do it more subtle:
1. push with the card with thumb over the middle and ring finger about half an inch, while ignoring the pinky. Your card will go up a bit because of the two fingers
2. put your pinky below the card, in the beginning just curl it a bit over the card, later make it more subtle
3. pull the card back with the thumb. If that is too hard at first, stick out the middle and ring finger so you see them again and push back the card with it (possible with assistance of the thumb)
4. use your index finger to square the card if necessary

Thanks for all the helpful comments, and also Leander for the video. It turns out, that the reason I couldn't a card over correctly, was because my ring finger was sticking up way over the other fingers, eg; I did not have a 'proper' mechanics grip. I recommend to everyone out there to watch Aaron Fisher's Magic Minute, to make sure you weren't making the same mistakes I was.

Jul 28, 2017
I have found that I can do a push over 1 card and get a break but instead of pushing the card over with my thumb I pull the card to the left side instead, the card pops up a tiny bit because you are pulling it over the edge, then push the card back over and catch it with your pinky!, Its like catching a break with a top card push over but instead its a pull and push. Worth a try maybe?

May 4, 2017
Hello I have also used the pinky count a lot and i'm still trying to perfect it but if you cant get it maybe your pinky isn't strong enough and you need to work on your strength, that's what I had to do and after a while I was able to build that muscle up. I have currently created a group of magicians so I am trying to learn how to be a good mentor.

Aug 15, 2017
I am currently taking magic lessons from a magician, who has had 5 of his effects published in Magic Magazines, and we've been trying to figure this out. I can do the tilt (with a thumb break), Erdnase color change, ACR (with thumb break only), card to mouth, some false cuts, Elmsley count, etc. but I can not for the life of me get a pinky break! My pinky seems to just want to move lower when I push the card over, let me note by saying that I have a difficult time pushing the card over because I have really dry hands, but..I even have difficulty when my hands are moisturized with lotion.

I remember reading somewhere before about people having similar issues, and I was wondering if any of you may have gone through what I'm going through. When I push over the card, my ring finger gets in the way a lot, and I know that when you push over, it's supposed to sort of ride up and over the ring finger to get to the pinky. My mentor has helped me a bit with working on my mechanics grip, and having me duplicate exactly what he's doing side by side, so it is not on his end, I understand what he's trying to teach me, but my hands for some reason just won't comply, and it's really annoying me.

My mentor has also shown me some alternative ways of getting a pinky break, and that can work, with slight misdirection and need for certain actions, but I need to get it down to where someone can grill my hands, and not notice I am getting a pinky break. I need help, and hopefully, at least one of you has gone through this problem before, and has resolved it. Thanks
I am assuming you need a break under 2 cards from top.Pls correct if am wrong...

Learn the pinky count. It is difficult for a reason, that's because it is gaze-proof. In your words, your audience could grill your hands but will not catch the break.

In the beginning I always got a pinky break for a DL by taking the top-card face down from a face down deck normally and be something like "So..this card..." and by thenI would have simply pushed off the then top card of the face down deck (originally the second card from top). Then I would place the original top card (still face down) back and there! MY REQUIRED BREAK IS ACHIEVED!!

I never did the pushing off thing to get a pinky break to be honest.

A question tho...is your problem more on the lines of " I can't get a good pinky break for a good DL?"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results