Pity Magic Isn't as Easy as Music

In music if you ever wanted to make it rich and famous you'll just write a song using the same four chords, as just about every other famous pop song, and you're sure to have a hit.

It's a shame that creating magic isn't that simple ya know?

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
While it's true that a lot of pop songs use same chord progression, there are tons of ways to make it interesting, and reasons only certain songs sell while others don't.

Along that line, all you need is DL and color change to make a card trick and you'd have a hit.

That's gist of how that statement can translate to magic. I hope I missed your satire or something.

yea its wicked easy getting famous as a musician. thats why there are hundreds of thousands of bands out there and only about 1% are famous.
im a musician, and i have tried making it somewhere. and its just as hard as being a magician to be taken seriously sometimes.

You can't really say that one is easier than the other.
I have a friend who plays bass, and my god, the dude just takes the thing on his lap and can pretty much play any song he wants in a matter of seconds(the same with a guitar) and he can jam like crazy.

Why can he do that?
Because he has been practicing nearly a decade. And by practicing i mean he literally sits down every evening for a few hours and plays by himself. EVERY DAY.

Its all in what you do and how much care you give it. The more you do magic and evolve the more simpler it will get to make new effects, combine them etc. Also reading a few books along the way aint so bad either. ;)

M.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
please. i'm hoping this isn't serious.

Pop music isn't about skill and talent. It's about your agency, your manager, and your publicity.

I hope this is not serious either, if it is its one of the worst things i ever read.

Its true in some cases, but some of the biggest names in pop music is insanely talanted.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
ok I hope your really not stupid enough to belive you can just make it that easely in music.
This has to be a joke. (at least I hope it was)
Above posters are right good music does not mean successfull music. Both magic and music have there ways to get big, Nothing worth something comes easy.

Jul 13, 2009
Hmm, I feel musicians have it a little easier then actors/magicians/artists but only by a little since music is a bit more interactive, popular and hip.

When I hear four noted, I instantly think of DJs of Techno. DJ Plague, Dj Tiesto, Juno Reactor, Andy Hunter, Sonic Overkill, Angerfist they are all famous. When I say famous, they are famous amongst the listener base.

yea music has four chord songs, its cause four chords sound good together, music theory. and people like those chords. but ive written tons of four chord songs, and i havnt made it yet. and some of those are really good.
dont tell me magic isnt alot of the same stuff. while we are talking about cliche music with four chords, lets talk about cliche magic, pick a card loose a card show a card change a card. hundreds of tricks are that exactly, some are good, some are bad, but more than half of effects taht people buy for cards, are exactly that.
i understand what draven is saying, how people can do the same chords and make many different hit songs. but come on will ticks like belive, witness, distortion, even the rising card app can be put in the pick a card loose a card, show a card, change a card category. and those are only from t11 trick page. not even from the 1 on 1 or other websites.
so lets try not to make it sound like music is soo easy and not a similar entertainment to music. and if you want to make it in entertainment, how bout you take a break from magic, and make one of those famous pop 4 chord songs, cause you know, after seeing videos like that, its what every musician ISNT doing im sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

There's your reference material for this thread.

Applauds!
F**king good!

Although this only implies to mainstream music. Jazz for instance is kind of ruled out...
Anyway just awesome!

Although i disliked the fact they put Tim Minchin in there. "Canvas Bags" might be a 4 cord song but the meaning and message behind it is far greater than the music itself.

M.

Well... I guess not everyone finds the same things funny. Or at this case at the least ironic.

Just to clarify before I get a rash of similar replies, yes this was a thinly vialed joke. I'm not serious at all about this.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I was hoping you were.
Even though I knew you were joking (or at least assumed) I was rather irked.
I do apologize if my statement had rained on the parade (or whatever is proper idiom is here)

I... probably should have pmed that comment, not state it here... My apologies.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results