Pivoting packets between fingers

Jun 8, 2008
Alright guys I'm gonna try my best to explain this.

I'm working on a flourish called eko. Its on the flourish disk of the trilogy set.

anyways when I pivot the packet around with my thumb and index finger the cards start to bevel and I can't complete the pivot. the cards will either start to fall, or they will start to fall when i try the next maneuver.

are my packets to big ? should I make the packet smalled when I start the reverse Z grip ?

thanks for the help guys and girls

The pivot is rather easy, just keep the packet small, maybe 5-6 cards when you are starting out, big packets are harder to do. After a while, your fingers get used to it and you can do it much easier. Just take your time, it doesn't really take THAT long, people go on about months or even years, but if you stick at it you can probably pick up Eko in a week or two, it's not overly difficult. As you get better learning new cuts gets easier :)

Jun 8, 2008
Eddie chill man.
You really know how to make a beginner/intermediate feel good. Obviously I need practice I just thought that there might be something I'm missing.

Should I not ask for help anymore ??

Thanks for the help Unholygod!!

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
I find that pressure and angle are the main details that you want to focus on. By pressure I mean the inward force your fingers are applying to pivot the packet between them. A lot of pressure works best for me (just enough before the cards start to bend). As far as angle goes I mean two things. One, the relationship of the packet to your finger. The cards should be perpendicular to your finger making a 90 degree angle. Also remeber that gravity is at work at all times work with it not against it.
Hope this helped.
Cheers!

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
It's not hard to figure out yourself. You shouldn't always expect someone to spoon feed you. You have the material yourself, you bought it , LEARN FROM IT. From trial and error and experimenting on your own, like how most people do it.

Jun 8, 2008
Everyone learns differently Eddie.

there is nothing wrong with asking questions to a more advanced peer. If your not willing to put in input, then don't post and make people feel bad. You just assume everyone learns the same as you.
Sometimes it's hard for me to just watch, I Like to talk about it and read.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
It's not hard to figure out yourself. You shouldn't always expect someone to spoon feed you. You have the material yourself, you bought it , LEARN FROM IT. From trial and error and experimenting on your own, like how most people do it.

Wow, you need to take a step back and read what you've written. He's not expecting people to spoon feed him everything; he had a question about ONE thing! Seriously, take it down a notch. The forums are here to ask for help and DISCUSS... and he's taking advantage of that. Really, be a little nicer to fellow pursuers of your artform...

If you don't like helping people Eddie, why are you here? It's not like any real discussion goes on about anything because discussing the best way to do things is "SPOON FEEDING RAWR". Chill man :)

I'm a bit confused by what your saying so I'll try to explain from what I understood. Usually in the opener for eko I try to make the middle packet a bit smaller since later on you will us that packet for the spin. So what I do is have two big packet and one smaller packet (about 10 cards). If the cards keep slipping then try to get a firmer grip on the cards. Hope that helps. Remember it's all in practice. In time you will get better at the cut and find what you are doing wrong.

Feb 5, 2008
London
In regards to the point Eddie makes, I remember reading in a thread here that warns you, you can practice and practice but if you have the wrong technique you're wasting your time and never will get it. To find that out after months of practice would be pretty soul destroying. If it doesn't come to together its always a help to bounce it off Theory 11ners.

May 9, 2008
I'll echo what Copperfield 14 said.

I'd have to agree with Copperfield 14 on this.

Firstly, Make the middle packet smaller, or at least practice with a smaller middle packet. Eventually you'll be able to spin much larger packets. Start out small, 10-12 cards. I like to start off with the largest packet in my right hand and second largest packet in my left, smallest packet in the middle. You'll really be able to get some speed practicing like this.

Secondly, Put enough pressure on your pivots to keep packets together but not too much that they spring out everywhere or flip out of your hands. Too much pressure will hinder your speed. You really will get a feel for it. I love this flourish.

I have yet to reach that flourish... I still struggle with things like Pandora and Madonna...
But - The best advice I could give you is to really sit with your deck of cards, and do the flourish really really slowly, and again, and again, and again, and again, and try to do different things when you reach the point where you have the problem. Try moving your finger a bit, or changing the pivot point by a millimeter... Sometimes that is really all it takes.
I usually change my fingers position quite a lot when doing a flourish from D&D... They have such big hands compared to mine, so I need to create all sorts of solutions.
Anyway, sorry I couldn't be much of a help, good luck! :p

Jan 4, 2008
Norfolk, Virginia
wow bro!

didnt your mother ever teach you if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anyhting at all.

bro your an ass seriously. not even a year on the site and you got over 1,000 post im guessing it because of how many un usfull things you have to say huh?

i think ive only got 20 or so, yeah thats because i choose where to interject and in this particular thread you should have kept your mouth shut. you know i didnt do any research on you but i can bet your not all that great your self there pal!

well have a good one all, the only dumb questions are the ones un asked.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results