PK Pen

Oct 16, 2007
Two cents

Hey. As with any video, you must be congratulated for sitting down and setting forth on a journey to create something magical.

Also as with any video we post, it's not always the best thing to post only positives- just as only negatives aren't productive either. For this reason, this post will include both ;]

I must admit that I (along with many others... cough cough Luke cough) strongly believe that loops should be reserved for 'animations' rather than levitations; less is usually more. Have I levitated a leaf or a dollar? Of course. We all have. However, levitations seem to lend themselves to a notion of strings or wires or cables rather than esoteric 'know how'. I'm glad that in this video, you did not approach a situation such as making the pen stand on end but to rather enjoy the subtle movements and eventually drop the pen. While it may be a nuance, it certainly made for a more 'magical' effect. Leave the levitations for people with wands who live in cupboards...

On a separate note, engaging a loop can be as dangerous as using an invisible deck without ample practice. (Wait, there are five upside down cards- I just saw them. Wait, lemme see your palms, you must have something there.) Yeigal and Fin both suggest a rubbing of the hands together with a slight downward curve of your middle as the best method whilst talking and 'building static'. I personally never mention static being that although it is an illogical explanation, it is still an explanation that I feel takes away from 'magical empowerment' for lack of a better phrase. In almost a nervous gesture, I rub my hands together, then clasp them as I set up for the effect. This serves a dual purpose as now time separates the engagement from the act as well as making the engagement that much more natural.

Loops are fish- anyone can get them and anyone can enjoy them, practice is the fishing pole that separates us...

Apr 26, 2008
Thanks!

Hey. As with any video, you must be congratulated for sitting down and setting forth on a journey to create something magical.

Also as with any video we post, it's not always the best thing to post only positives- just as only negatives aren't productive either. For this reason, this post will include both ;]

I must admit that I (along with many others... cough cough Luke cough) strongly believe that loops should be reserved for 'animations' rather than levitations; less is usually more. Have I levitated a leaf or a dollar? Of course. We all have. However, levitations seem to lend themselves to a notion of strings or wires or cables rather than esoteric 'know how'. I'm glad that in this video, you did not approach a situation such as making the pen stand on end but to rather enjoy the subtle movements and eventually drop the pen. While it may be a nuance, it certainly made for a more 'magical' effect. Leave the levitations for people with wands who live in cupboards...

On a separate note, engaging a loop can be as dangerous as using an invisible deck without ample practice. (Wait, there are five upside down cards- I just saw them. Wait, lemme see your palms, you must have something there.) Yeigal and Fin both suggest a rubbing of the hands together with a slight downward curve of your middle as the best method whilst talking and 'building static'. I personally never mention static being that although it is an illogical explanation, it is still an explanation that I feel takes away from 'magical empowerment' for lack of a better phrase. In almost a nervous gesture, I rub my hands together, then clasp them as I set up for the effect. This serves a dual purpose as now time separates the engagement from the act as well as making the engagement that much more natural.

Loops are fish- anyone can get them and anyone can enjoy them, practice is the fishing pole that separates us...

Thanks for all the feed back! I admit that the engaging of the loops is an odd movement if you don't do it right. And i also admit my engaging of the loop was shaky at best the video. But the thing is that 99% or laymen have never heard of Invisible "rubberbands" and most of the time it will fly right over their heads.
Thanks, like you said i also think that subtle animations are far more believable (and thus powerful) than levitation, no matter how well done the levitation.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results