The Magician Online

The Magician Online is a live, interactive, online experience - in the comfort of your own home. Starring Dan White. As seen by Ashton Kutcher, Ariana Grande, Chris Rock, James Corden, Jessica Alba, and President Clinton.

See details

Playing around with the length of a trick

antoferra

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2014
Italy
In the past weeks I have been performing OOTW a lot, and I have been experimenting with the length of the trick. I had already noticed that having a slower build up creates better reactions, but recently I have tried starting the trick days before the ending.
An example is one that I wrote in my newsletter. I will copy paste below a sleightly shortened version without my notes and tips to make it more readable. Here it is.

Last Sunday I met a friend of a friend, visiting from Germany. He is a quite logical guy, who likes the puzzle aspect of magic and enjoys to try to figure out the secrets of tricks.
This is how I played with time and created a more magical experience.

MONDAY - planting the seed
I went to my friend’s house for dinner and performed Sort Of Psychic, a trick where you try to figure out how to maximize the spectator’s sense of intuition with a series of experiments, until they are able to cut to their thought-of-card.

TUESDAY - watering the seed
We met up to visit a museum. After the visit I wanted to try something: I gave him a packet of 8 cards: 4 black and 4 red. I asked him to guess which were red and which were black. He got 6 out of 8 correct. I asked him what made him guess the color he chose, then commented “interesting…” and changed topic.

THURSDAY - harvesting
We decided to play some board games. Before we did I asked if he we could try a thing. I said that I had studied the way his intuition works and there was a thing I wanted to try. I let him shuffle the deck and let him deal the cards in two piles: one pile for the red cards, and the other for the black ones.
I said: “what we are hoping for is for you to get about 70% right”

We then took a look at how he did. He was 100% correct. All the red cards were separated from the black cards.

He was blown away. His mind didn’t want to accept what happened, he was trying to find any reasonable explanation: -did he switch the cards? -no, I was looking at them the whole time… -were the cards already separated? -no, I mixed them…
And could not find anything except that he actually did separate the cards perfectly and somehow we created the perfect condition for his intuition.

And I got the type of reaction I like the most, no compliments, no applause. Just a complete mind melting, stunned silence, brain-not-working moment.

Another thing I've tried is to text a friend do the whole procedure by herself at home. She is expecting something magical to happen and is disappointed by the result.
Then next time we meet I will let her do some procedure to sharpen her senses and she will be able to correctly guess the color of the cards.

I am really loving these types of changes in the trick structure, and I was wondering if you had something similar you played around with.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results