Please support this!

Sep 16, 2009
Spread the word, or rather, this video by MarkHilkemeijer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQBKiJkuk0g

Please don't be pessimistic over it. One man can't change a thing, that's why I think we should do it together, but I think this video could have a much bigger impact than any other rant video out there, especially if it got your vote (rate and/or comment).

-T.

Mar 29, 2008
Shelter - these are all valid points. Where can I order that book?

Sir FansAlot - Your opinion is moot, and you spelt boring wrong.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Mark is a great magician and thinker.
His video of exposure is the only one I bothered to watch and it was rather enlightening...
It was a tad dull but why not?
Spread the word.

Dec 24, 2009
Edited: Listened, talked, brings up some good points however some of his views just seem flawed and he presents some sort of response by saying that because his audience or somebody elses audience looked up the effects after telling them what they were presenting.

Nothing spectacular from what I've heard before, and it will be long before we can stop the exposure of magic. It just simply can't be done right now but I'm sure he'll be apart of the movement to stop it. So best of luck to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
Mr. Jane - You write an essay on not being lazy in magic, but appeared to struggle looking past the medium to see the message of this video? I have been reading your posts, as you have been new to the forums. I have hoped to make our first encounter more pleasant, so have not yet posted in your threads. You seem to be trying to take a position of "I have experience, learn from me", but didn't take the opportunity to really be a leader on this one. I would hope you would take the time to watch this video, as yes, it was a tad painful in areas as he is not the greatest speaker. However, I assume english is not his first language and he did very well getting his points across. To get honey off the razorblade, you may have to cut your tongue.

Welcome to the forum Mr. Jane.

Dec 24, 2009
No worries Morgician, this isn't laziness but I have heard dozens of the same sort thing from people who have my ear much closer than him. I have discussed through comments and PM's with the man. I seem to disagree with him on several of his points.

I listened through the actual video when I discussed with him further so I'll have to edit my post.

Mar 29, 2008
Nothing spectacular from what I've heard before, and it will be long before we can stop the exposure of magic. It just simply can't be done right now but I'm sure he'll be apart of the movement to stop it. So best of luck to him.

Mr. Jane - glad you took the time. Have you read the book Strong Magic? Great book - yet, nothing in that book has not been presented before. It was just organized in one source. Shelter states the book where he gains his points, points that were well organized.

Education is the key to changing a social issue. Exposure is much smaller a problem then say, slavery...women's rights...health concerns like smoking...sexually transmitted infections...however, education is put out to allow people to make an intelligent choice. I think the point was that many end up done the wrong path because of the ease of it. However, when given a choice, many would choose to do it right.

It isn't about stopping exposure, it is about allowing people to understand the impact and enabling them to make a choice that is good for magic, and themselves.

The "I can't stop exposure" attitude exists in many other forms when social changes are trying to be made. I heard that line SO many times from men, when dealing with abuse against women. "I don't beat my wife/sister/mother" - great, but it is still an issue, and by combing over it, you are not helping make a change. Sure, it starts by not being part of the issue, but the next step is helping educate to prevent the issue.

Let's say 50% of magicians expose, then really if each one of use discusses and educates (give an option) to just ONE, we could really lessen the impact.

Regardless Mr Jane, I know so many young magicians that just didn't realize their was another path. Once they did, they took it - because they love magic too...so why would they want to do something bad for them and magic?

One more thing, I didn't see those points to be just about exposure, but how the internet has created a false learning path that leads to "youtube" education, versus learning magic that involves theory, design, and an understanding of proper technique.

But, once again, you are entitled to your opinion, and I have heard many say, "we can't stop exposure"...oddly, I have personally educated many magicians over the past decade and helped them realize that their are better ways, so essentially, I do my part in small ways. I have seen change. I am not against exposure completely, I am against empty paths in magic.

See you in the threads.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results