Pool Ball Miracles: Craig Petty

Feb 4, 2008
Pool Ball Miracles: Craig Petty
Pool Ball Miracle (DVD and Props) by Craig Petty and Wizard FX Productions - DVD

Price: $45.00
Price at Penguin: $33.75
What you get:
1. DVD that includes performances of six different effects and explanations of eight effects.
2. E-book containing over twenty more effects and ideas(not yet reviewed)
3. 4 mini-pool balls (good size for palming) that will allow you to perform all the effects on the DVD.
4. Gimmick 1: a gimmick that will allow you to do a “Ball through Table” routine.
5. Gaffed card: a gaffed card that will allow you to perform a pool ball “through the deck” routine.

What you may want to get(ie. Stuff that should have been included but wasn’t)
1. Blank backed card(red 3)
2. Blank faced card
3. Card wallet
Card Wallet

Overview: This could have been titled “Craig Petty’s Pool Ball Project,” as this is not just one effect but a series of effects that can be performed with mini-sized pool balls. It is definitely one of the most unique magic projects I have received in a good long while and overall I am quite excited about it. At this point I have only had “Pool Ball Miracles” for little over a month and have only worked my way through the material on the DVD. I’ll likely just add an updated review of the e-book at a later date when I have had a chance to evaluate that stuff.

Effects:

Essence Transpo: Performance-yes/Explanation-yes
Description: Magician produces a queue ball, places it in a handkerchief and asks a spectator to hold on to it. He then has a card selected and places it in the spectators other hand. After a magical gesture the card is turned over revealing the card is blank and the hank is opened revealing the queue ball has “stolen” the number and color of the card.
Thoughts: The biggest purpose of this trick is that it teaches Petty’s basic pool ball switch using a handkerchief. It is a good trick to start out the DVD as it teaches a move that you will use to great effect in many of the other routines. That said it is not one of the stronger effects taught. It would be a good one to learn and perform a bit for newer magicians who are not quite used to sleight of hand work. My guess is that most intermediate and advanced magicians will skip this trick and move on to higher impact effects taught elsewhere on the DVD. One other disadvantage is that it requires a blank face card which is not included in the package. Not a big disadvantage but considering the fact that I see this as a “beginners” effect and many beginners don’t have a lot of gaffed cards I think it would have been nice to throw one in.

Pool Ball Transpo: Performance-yes/Explanation-yes
Description: Magician pulls out a queue ball, places it in a handkerchief and hands it to the spectator. He then takes out a numbered pool ball. With the wave of his hand the two balls change locations (magician has the queue ball and the spectator has the numbered ball.)
Thoughts: This is one of my two favorite routines in the book. Petty teaches an “in the hands” switch that I think is just beautiful. This is an effect that beginners should only attempt after they have first mastered essence transpo as it will use the handkerchief switch and the in-hands switches. Toppiters will love this effect but even if you don’t have a toppit the misdirection built into this effect is so strong that you won’t have a difficult time cleaning yourself up.

Ball Thru Table: Performance-yes/Explanation-yes
Description: Magician takes out a pool ball, places it on the table under a handkerchief, slams his hand down on the pool ball and it travels through the table.
Thoughts: This is another great effect but selling this one will require lots of practice. It uses a common gimmick (that will be easily replaceable) but I am glad they included as I do not usually use these gimmicks in my magic. Craig has some really great ideas on how to sell this but it will still require lots of work. The good news is that once mastered, as he mentions in the DVD, it will routine itself quite nicely into other pool ball effects you perform. You could probably take about any one of the effects performed and add a little pool ball through table segue to it.

Reality: Performance-yes/Explanation-yes
Description: The magician shows a blank card or business card with little pool ball stickers placed on it of many different numbers and colors of balls. He places that card on the table and pulls out business cards. On the back of each business card is a single ball of the various numbers and colors. He has the spectator select a random business card. The magician then accurately predicts which card was chosen. He then picks up the card with all stickers on it. He snaps his fingers and out pops a ball from the card. One of the balls has jumped out of the card into reality.
Thoughts: This is not one of the best effects on the DVD but it is close to self working and it would be a fun little way to hand out a business card. Petty teaches how to construct all the gimmicks required for this trick. You will need to get a packet trick wallet, some stickers from your local stationary shop, and a stack of business cards. A blank backed or faced card will also be required. This routine also teaches the first of several “pool ball from card” productions that will be taught on the DVD. This would be another good effect for the beginners, provided they already have the extra items needed to construct the gaffs, but more experienced magicians may actually pass this one up. I say that for the following reasons. While it is a fun way to pass out a business card I think that if you were to perform a pool ball routine you would not want to deaden the impact of the “pool ball from card” production by overdoing it with this effect. So overall if you are a beginner and want to get some experience with a pool ball production or if you only want to use a pool ball trick to pass out a business card then this will be a good effect for you but if that’s not you then you might skip this one in favor of some stronger routines.

Red 3 Corner Pocket: Performance-yes/Explanation-yes
Description: The magician shows a deck of cards and says he will use the 3 of diamonds to find a selection. He then further explains that he won’t use the three but the ink off the three. With a snap the three goes blank and out pops a red three ball out of the card and into the spectators hand. Then a card is selected and placed in the center of the pack. The magician then takes the three balls and smashes it into the deck. He spreads the cards and we find that there is a sticker of a red three on the back of the signed selection. Finally the magician snaps the card and the 3 ball pops back off of the back of the card and into the spectator’s hand. He turns the card over to reveal the sticker is gone and the card is now clean.
Thoughts: I love the in-hands switch from “pool ball transpo” so much that it is probably my favorite routine from the DVD but I must admit that this routine is probably the overall best effect on the DVD. There are two solid pool ball productions, a pool ball vanish, and an interesting way to reveal a signed card, all wrapped up into one routine. The only weakness of the routine is the pool ball vanish but I think that the use of a toppit or applying some principles from the “Ball Thru Table” routine could help strengthen the ball vanish. Even with the standard handling the ball vanish it in the middle of the routine so if it’s not the strongest “magical moment” it is no big deal. Overall a trick that will appeal to the more experienced magicians or one that a beginner might want to hold off on until mastering some of the easier routines in the DVD. One way or the other you will want to learn this routine eventually. Two gaffed cards be required and unfortunately only one been provided.(the sticker of a red three on the back of the card) I wish they had provided stickers as well so you could make a gaff for any deck of cards you own. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll find what I need to make my gaffs eventually. Those minor points aside this is overall a fantastic routine.

Feb 4, 2008
Trick Shot Production: Performance-yes/Explanation-yes
Description: The magician has a card selected and placed back inside the deck. He brags about his fancy card skills and that he will find the selected card. After some fancy cuts he pulls off the top card only to be told that that is not the card. He finds out that he is three off from the chosen number. He snaps the card and a three ball pops out and the card has now changed into the chosen card.
Thoughts: This is a good effect and uses a pool ball production. I place it in the same category as “Reality” in that it is a good effect to learn pool ball productions with. Overall if you are new to magic and don’t have the items necessary to create the gimmicks needed for “Reality” this would be a good starting place. Because the card cannot be signed, and you don’t pass out a business card as part of the effect, I think “Reality” edges this one out.
Pool Hall Matrix: Performance-yes/Explanation-yes(in e-book)
Description: This is one of the routines from the e-book that Craig petty demonstrates as a way to tease you into actually reading the e-book. This one starts by showing little pools balls drawn on the back of a business card at the four corners. The card is signed, turned over, and the spectator pretends to shoot the balls onto one corner with his finger. The magician whips out a lighter, does some magical gestures and the balls all move to one corner. The magicians adds some more flame and one of the balls actually pops out of the card and into the spectator’s hand.
Thoughts: Well I have yet to read the e-book but from watching it I can already tell that it is a clever blend of several magic principles. I think it would be a great way to pass out a business card but again, if you want to do a full pool ball routine, you would be trading off the impact of the pool ball productions for a clever way to pass out a card.

Manipulation Routine: Performance-no/Explanation-yes
Description: A simple handkerchief and pool ball manipulation routine. The ball will appear and disappear and you pass the handkerchief over and around it.
Thoughts: Like the ball through table this is a nice little routine you can put in just about any of the routines you perform. I think its biggest value is as a practice tool to get your hands used to the sleights involved in magic with mini-pool balls. Let’s face it, most of us haven’t done a lot of magic with these things and even if you do “billiard ball” routines you will want to get used to the different weight and size of these little fellas. This is a recommended routine for magicians of any skill level.

Holders and Steals:[/COLOR]Performance-no/Explanation-yes
Description: A quick discussion of ball holders and ways of stealing balls during performance.
Thoughts: Not much to say other than the fact that Craig Petty teaches you how to make a wonderful homemade ball holder. I have done David Penn’s “Black Eight” from a short sleeve shirt for a while and I have experimented with many different ball holders but I switched immediately to Craig Petty’s design. It is simply the most functional and practical ball holder I have come across…and it is home made!

Teaching: The teaching is clear and to the point. Craig Petty isn’t one for hamming it up on a teaching video but at the same time he isn’t dry by any sense. His enthusiasm for this project really shines through and it always helps to get excited about learning new stuff when the teacher seems excited to teach it. My one complaint was not in the teaching segments but in the performance segments. For one, all the performances are done for Max, who we later find out is assisting in making the videos. So naturally they are all staged performances and staged reactions. I got a little annoyed with, “Isn’t that weird?” being uttered in almost every performance. So my one wish is that they would have taken an evening, gone to a restaurant or pub, and just performed live. Even considering those minor gripes I would still say that, overall, the teaching was very well done.

Quality of materials (DVD):
The WizardFX production values are getting much better. Still not as high gloss as a T11 video but I’d say they are getting close to Penguin videos in terms of editing quality. They don’t do much for music which is fine for me. Having music constantly playing in the background can sometimes get annoying IMO.

Quality of materials: (Mini-pool balls): You will get for balls with “Pool Ball Miracles” and they are in every way and shape a pool ball. The only difference is that they are about 2/3rd to ½ the size of a standard pool ball. Getting used to sleight of hand magic with these will naturally mean they will drop on the floor from time to time but no worries. They are not fragile! In all you will receive a red three, a queue ball, and two other balls of the same number and color. Mine were purple 4’s in the video he used blue 2s. He mentions that what color you get will be random.

Quality of materials(Gimmicks): You will receive an item to do the ball through table effect as well as a gaffed card. The quality of these items is cheap….and that’s actually a good thing. A trip to your local magic shop and you will be able to replace these no problem. My only wish is that they had added a blank faced and a blank backed card as well. Each of these gaffs are used in various effects and while they are common in magic there are many people, myself included, who don’t do a lot of gaffed card magic and don’t exactly have these things on hand.

Quality of material(E-Book): It’s an e-book….not much more to say. As for the content of the e-book, it may take me a while to get through it so I’ll update this review when I have.

Difficulty: The difficulty of the effects range from practically self working to sleight of hand works of art. The biggest difficulty with any of this is learning to translate what you already know about sleight of hand to the pool balls. Once you get used to handling these guys you should have smooth sailing.

Applications: I heard another reviewer claim that there was no opening or closing material in this. The claim was that “Pool Ball Miracles” was just a bunch of filler routines. I strongly disagree with this sentiment as it pertains to close-up magic. I have been both opening and closing(depending on audience size) for a while now with David Penn’s “Black Eight.” My love of that effect actually drew me to picking this one up. I say without hesitation that the “Red Three Corner Pocket” routine is every bit as exciting as the “Black Eight” routine for a close-up audience. Here is the big weakness however. It seems like a small detail but the littler balls do limit the audience size. This stuff suffers the same malady that afflicts coin magic. It just doesn’t play very well for crowds larger than 6…maybe 10 if you push it. So while I think “Red Three Corner Pocket” matches up with “Black Eight” in a close-up venue, I have opened shows for 100 people with “Black Eight” and the same can’t be said for “RTCP.” So I can see a bit of disappointment in “PBM” if you do very little close-up but, for those who do, you should have no trouble eliciting reactions from people.

Overall Rating: This is my best magic purchase for this year. I really love the idea behind this and the effort that went into making this project. If you want some unique close-up magic that doesn’t rely on cards and coins then look no further. Sleight of hand and toppiting freaks likely fall in love with your “little balls” the more you play with them. I play with them as often as I can. I just can’t put them down. I’m always thinking up exciting new things I can do with them. I love my little balls!

Feb 4, 2008
Here is a demo vid I made that highlights some of the WizardFX products. The specific products are Pool Ball Miracles (review in the works), Cansposed, and the 21st Century Toppit. There is one very large flash that will be painfully obvious to those who know what I'm doing and it will also be obvious to a layperson who watches the footage carefully...or rewinds a few times. Because of that I have password protected the video so that only magicians showing interest in these products(Ie. reading this review) will be privy to analyzing the move. The a much cleaner move can be done but it is much more difficult to do so. You can see an example of that move in the credits but, for live performances, the way I am performing is much more reliable. Furthermore the routine I'm doing is so well structured and the misdirection is strong enough that I feel pretty comfortable using the "uglier" move when performing live. Hope some of the "uglieness" of this live footage doesn't disuade anyone from considering these effects. They are some of my favorites!
password: wizardfx

This is a password protected video on Vimeo

Jun 2, 2020
Thank you from far into the future for posting this, and for still having your demo video up 13 years later! I am on the lookout for this one (which is currently unavailable) and more so after reading your review.

Reactions: JoshL8
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results