Portal from Andthensome question

Dec 8, 2007
Hi guys,

I've been practising "Portal" for all the entire day now and got most of the trick down very well. The only problem is the pop-out move, which just won't work out. I've watched the video about four times, so I'm sure I'm doing it ok, but the card just won't pop out. Most of the times when I practice it, it will just make the snap-sound, but won't pop out. And that is not because of the bad timing of my thumb...

Any tips on getting this sleight done?
If nessecery, feel free to PM me.

- Morphweasel

Mar 3, 2008
I can do the move, but I dont do it in portal, I dont know why there would be a random snap sound. It seems weird, I do something else

Sep 1, 2007
USA
practice practice practice... You won't get it the first time but if you have perseverance... You will practice it over and over and eventually something will click (no pun intended) and you will have it down...

The moral... Please practice a move for at least a month before asking for help.

With all due respect,

ZG

Oct 3, 2007
germany
At blackpool, dave told me to try practicing the popout move without the cover cards first. Granted, it will shoot off the deck, but at least you'll know when you have the power right.

Dec 8, 2007
practice practice practice... You won't get it the first time but if you have perseverance... You will practice it over and over and eventually something will click (no pun intended) and you will have it down...

The moral... Please practice a move for at least a month before asking for help.

With all due respect,

ZG

Okay, maybe I was a bit too excited to learn the move...
Ah well, got the Clipshift down after a month of practise, so I'll guess I have to be patient for this one too ^^

At blackpool, dave told me to try practicing the popout move without the cover cards first. Granted, it will shoot off the deck, but at least you'll know when you have the power right.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind. And that way it does spring off all the time indeed ;)

Jan 28, 2009
The trick here is to listen to what Dave says, lol. He says take everything below their selection and dump it, no more no less. If you have too many cards loaded on top the card isn't going to pop out no matter what you do, as the weight of the cards will restrict the move rather than the weight of your thumb.

So yeah, lol, try it with 3/4 cards of cover as suggested by Mr Buck and you'll probably find it easier.

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sure it's a knacky thing. As you start to get the feel for it, you'll start to get frustrated because the card will keep flying out. Just practice.

However, a suggestion, If you have Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment books, take a look at the description of the pop out move there. I originally learned it there because once I found out that the move was in there, I hit the books to try to create portal for myself. I hate waiting for things. :p

-Kevin

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Sure it's a knacky thing. As you start to get the feel for it, you'll start to get frustrated because the card will keep flying out. Just practice.

However, a suggestion, If you have Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment books, take a look at the description of the pop out move there. I originally learned it there because once I found out that the move was in there, I hit the books to try to create portal for myself. I hate waiting for things. :p

-Kevin

which book was it in?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results