Possible/Impossible?

Mar 13, 2009
Hi, I don't usually write on here much, but i've been stumbling through some vids on Metacafe for a science project and i came across this:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/346711/cool_magnetic_water_trick_is_this_possible/

Anyways, I know that this is completely and utterly fake (duh!), but i was wondering whether anybody on this forum knew of a way to create MAGNETIC WATER. I'm known at my school for my magic, and I'd love to make my science project presentation fun for myself, my teacher and pupils (lol i said pupils, im so lame). I remember hearing somewhere about sticking a couple of spinnach leaves into some water, then adding lemon/lime juice for Vitamin C to extract the iron in the spinnach into the water. So yeah, if anyone's ever actually tried out this experiment, please post your results, or even if you know of another simple way to magnetise water, please post it here :)

Thank-you kindly in advance, and i hope to be a more active member from now on.

Cheers-

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Since oxygen has a higher electronegativity than hydrogen, water is a polar molecule. The oxygen has a slight negative charge while the hydrogens have a slight positive charge giving the article a strong effective dipole moment. The interactions between the different dipoles of each molecule cause a net attraction force associated with water's high amount of surface tension.

-Wikipedia​

I don't know if that helps but welcome to the forums anyway.:D

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
There's an old funky thing you can do with a biro/bic pen, where you rub it on something that will generate a static charge. If you then bring the pen to a stream of water (running from a tap or something) the water bends towards it, it's pretty funky. :D Don't know if that's what you're looking for but it was the first thing that came to mind. :)

- Sean

like sean said, we used to do this thing in science class where you would rub a balloon on your head, hold it near running water from a faucet and it would bend the stream. Not just just a little bit either, it would do it very well I would estimate 3-4 inches off to the side. Hope that helps.

Mar 13, 2009
Help a bit

Ok, well maybe it'll help a bit if i tell u guys what i want it to look like.
For the presentation, and even after it out on the streets and in my act, I want to do something similar to the "Moses parting the red sea" thing.
What i was thinking was to pour some water onto a tabletop/ ground and wave my hands over it and you can see the water parting down the middle.
I think it would be awesome, so if you have any ideas on how to accomplish this, doesnt even have to be magnetic, please reply :)

Ok, well maybe it'll help a bit if i tell u guys what i want it to look like.
For the presentation, and even after it out on the streets and in my act, I want to do something similar to the "Moses parting the red sea" thing.
What i was thinking was to pour some water onto a tabletop/ ground and wave my hands over it and you can see the water parting down the middle.
I think it would be awesome, so if you have any ideas on how to accomplish this, doesnt even have to be magnetic, please reply :)

Yeah, become god.

Or even better, create a college where students teach themselves and create a class were you work only on making thing explode with your mind.

But serious maybe some sort of plastic connected to invisible thread to help pull the water apart. Maybe a rod of acrylic shaped in a wedged shape that you some how push into the water and part it.

You asked for a method not practicality.

Mar 13, 2009
Yeah, become god.

Or even better, create a college where students teach themselves and create a class were you work only on making thing explode with your mind.

But serious maybe some sort of plastic connected to invisible thread to help pull the water apart. Maybe a rod of acrylic shaped in a wedged shape that you some how push into the water and part it.

You asked for a method not practicality.

Hehe, i've thought of them already.
Practicality is a must.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results