Practice Problems

Oct 9, 2008
Dear theory11 forum members,

Hi how’s life….

This is the problem:

When I practice in front of a mirror (or in front of a camera), and I have to do a secret sleight my eye’s automatically close as if my mind is helping me believe that I performed this sleight quite well. (Meaning my eye’s close when I have to do a secret move).

This happens mostly during practice (I think)and I am just wondering if anyone can help me with this problem and if they can it is much appreciated. Also I am curious if this is a problem for anyone else here.

Thank you for your time and for reading this post.
____

I would like to add if anyone else is having different practice problems, feel free to post it in this thread and i will be glad to help (if i can).

Nov 12, 2008
Jay Sankey talks about this in a lot of his DVD's and he says that you have to force yourself to not close your eyes and become aware of what you are doing when you perform the slight and I believe a lot of people do that when they are learning a new move or starting off... :)

I used to have this problem. I simply kept practicing and at the same time trying to force yourself to keep your eyes open. It is simply being confident and knowing that you are not going to mess up so I would sat practice and trying not to do that is the best solution.

Dylan P.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I hadn't noticed this until I watched Jeff McBride's "Art of Card Manipulation" series, where he calls this "the point of indication". I've found a good way to get out of this habit is to read aloud to yourself as you practice the move. If you have a book open in front of you, and you can read out loud fluently and without hesitation from it as you perform the move, it means your eyes aren't closing or straying to your hands, otherwise you'll lose your place and you'll stumble over the words. The first few times you try this, it will seem a lot harder, but when you can do this consistently, it will mean you know you can trust your hands to execute the move while you talk to your spectators or misdirect their attention to somthing else by your gaze.

I hope that's helpful.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Het mate - I definitely know what you mean. TeeDee and the others have given some great advice. The only thing I would add to that is make sure you practice against a wall as well so you don't get used to seeing your reflection every time you perform the move (and get used to being helped by the reflection).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results