Pre-Release Monarchs vs. Current Monarchs

Hi,

I own a pre-release Monarch deck and two current Monarch decks. I was under the impression that the pre-release decks are slightly different than the current decks. My question is this -- is one of the differences the box? I've held the decks side by side and cannot see any difference on the box. I don't want to unwrap the decks as I want them to hold their value, but I'm worried that I'll mix them up. Help?

Thanks!

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Hi,

I own a pre-release Monarch deck and two current Monarch decks. I was under the impression that the pre-release decks are slightly different than the current decks. My question is this -- is one of the differences the box? I've held the decks side by side and cannot see any difference on the box. I don't want to unwrap the decks as I want them to hold their value, but I'm worried that I'll mix them up. Help?

Thanks!

Nope. The only difference (as these were never intended to be a different deck in the first place) is the color of the design on the back of the cards. They are otherwise identical. I would suggest marking them somehow or putting them in a special location. Or you can do what I did, open them and enjoy them for what they are. Then you will never have any doubt what the cards are, and you can appreciate the little accidental piece of playing card history they now are.

Enjoy!

L

Apr 20, 2010
Protip: Current gen Monarchs aren't going anywhere soon. Their value will be relatively stable for a looong time.

[...] you can do what I did, open them and enjoy them for what they are. Then you will never have any doubt what the cards are, and you can appreciate the little accidental piece of playing card history they now are. [...]

I couldn't agree more. My friend Joe who works for Ellusionist gave me a deck of Gold Arcane's a few months ago. First thing I did when he handed them to me - opened them.
He looked at me and said, "You know what you're holding, right?!"
And I was like, "Yeah... but cards are meant to be appreciated, sprung, dribbled, shuffled - not left in a box."
And you know what he did? Gave me a fist bump and said, "Hell yeah! I like that mindset!"
So what I'm saying is: through either luck, great planning, or acts of God, you've been given an awesome privilege: Owning 1 out 144 of something. Don't hide it in a cellophane covered box. Open it, appreciate it.

Also... put a post-it note on it. Won't be sticky when you take it off, and you can tell them apart.

Hope this helps. :)

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
I couldn't agree more. My friend Joe who works for Ellusionist gave me a deck of Gold Arcane's a few months ago. First thing I did when he handed them to me - opened them.
He looked at me and said, "You know what you're holding, right?!"
And I was like, "Yeah... but cards are meant to be appreciated, sprung, dribbled, shuffled - not left in a box."
And you know what he did? Gave me a fist bump and said, "Hell yeah! I like that mindset!"
So what I'm saying is: through either luck, great planning, or acts of God, you've been given an awesome privilege: Owning 1 out 144 of something. Don't hide it in a cellophane covered box. Open it, appreciate it.

Also... put a post-it note on it. Won't be sticky when you take it off, and you can tell them apart.

Hope this helps. :)

I couldn't agree more with what you said

cigamegah

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2011
When were the "144" shipped? Is there any foolproof way to know if I have one of the 144 (without opening the box)?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Did you look at your packing slip to check the date? Did you get an email confirming that you were one of the ones who had received a deck that was not like the ones getting released on the 11th due to the issue that had occurred? Without knowing any of those I am not sure anyone can be of much help.

cigamegah

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2011
Did you look at your packing slip to check the date? Did you get an email confirming that you were one of the ones who had received a deck that was not like the ones getting released on the 11th due to the issue that had occurred? Without knowing any of those I am not sure anyone can be of much help.

Rick, I simply asked how I would know if I had some of the 144. You could have answered my question by saying "The original 144 were shipped between x date and x date." Or you could have said "T11 sent an email to all those who received the original decks." Or you could have even said "Look at your packing slip because there's a way to find out if you have one of the original 144 by looking at something on there that would tell you."

But no. Instead you ASSUMED I knew all of this (which I didn't know any of). If I had know these things I would not have asked the question.
So thanks for not helping me Ricky.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
My apologies Cig. Your are correct in that I had assumed you had an original deck, but were just unsure. My guess is that on the packing slip, the date would have been between Oct. 31-Nov. 10, however I do not work in the shipping department, just as a mod on the boards. You would have received an email as confirmation that your deck was a bit different due to the issue that had occurred.

Welcome to theory11 and I will try to be a bit more helpful to you in the future.

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
Cigamegah welcome to the forums and all. I hope that we will be able to help you out whenever you need it. There are a lot of highly skilled and nice people on here to help you along with your journey. For the future though try to be a little more understanding. Rick was only trying to help. So there is no need to jump at him like that. Like I said we are a fun bunch of guys who try to respect each other. So for next time please try to be more understanding and polite.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
Rick - you've always been a stand up guy and always willing to help. You don't owe this guy an apology.

Ciga - he gave you exactly what you needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

cigamegah

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2011
Thanks Rick. Your second reply was helpful. Not trying to be an ass, just felt like your first response was a bit presumptuous.

There are guys selling what they say are the original decks on ebay for like $180. Some have the order number and shipment dates as "proof" that they have one of the originals. So, were the originals only sold as pre orders between certain dates?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Thanks Rick. Your second reply was helpful. Not trying to be an ass, just felt like your first response was a bit presumptuous.

There are guys selling what they say are the original decks on ebay for like $180. Some have the order number and shipment dates as "proof" that they have one of the originals. So, were the originals only sold as pre orders between certain dates?

Cigamegah, you are correct - the original gold edition was only available during the pre-release event on 11/11/11, with the exception of 33 decks that are either in the hands of the theory11 crew to cherish, or given out for contest events (like our holiday contest). There is no distinguishable difference between the gold edition and the first release edition without opening the box, so be very careful.

cigamegah

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2011
Cigamegah, you are correct - the original gold edition was only available during the pre-release event on 11/11/11, with the exception of 33 decks that are either in the hands of the theory11 crew to cherish, or given out for contest events (like our holiday contest). There is no distinguishable difference between the gold edition and the first release edition without opening the box, so be very careful.

Thank you. That's helpful.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results