Pre-Thoughts on "Houdini's Last Secrets"?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So I was watching Myth Busters today on the Science Channel and saw a commercial for a new special they'll be doing called "Houdini's Last Secrets". The show will air on January 6th, 2019.

The show is essentially going to look at the science and methods behind many of Houdini's biggest tricks; Bullet Catch, Water Torture Cell, and other escapes. It's being filmed with Houdini's actual great nephew. The show is being sold as "revealing the magician's secrets" (the tagline for the ad was "A magician never reveals his secrets, but we will"). I'll throw in the promo here.

What are your thoughts on this before watching it?

Personally, I don't really have an issue with it. A lot of the effects here look like they'll be more escapes than tricks, and these are really old effects that are very classic. Your average magician won't be performing them, and your high level magicians who do perform the effects will most probably do so in a different manner and presentation. Furthermore, a legitimate not "tricky" escape is just as if not more impressive once you learn what is actually happening. The show is obviously targeting laymen so I'm sure most in depth "magic stuff" that we geek over will be left out as it simply isn't as entertaining to them as it is to us. Lastly, according to this article the show is focusing more so on Houdini's insane builds and engineering. It is the Science Channel after all. This doesn't seem to be Masked Magician/YouTube "EXPOSED!!1!" level revealing (please don't open Pandora's Box on this thread), but rather a much more controlled form of revealing methods with respect to Houdini.

But hey, that's just my opinion, and obviously none of us have seen the show yet so bare in mind that these are just first impressions. I'd love to hear what you guys think of this.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I think it all depends on how they do it. From the trailer I think it's being presented in the wrong way. It seems almost clickbait. Sensationalizing "magic secrets revealed". If they do it from a scientific point of view, it might be pretty interesting to see his demonstrations using today's technology.
Having anyone related to Houdini being there is just to give them their "power" to reveal things and not look bad for doing it. With that said I'll probably check it out if I remember it's on. Not something I'll go out of my way to watch.
All that out of the way, @Maaz Hasan I hope you had a great Christmas and all the best in the new year. Cheers!

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I think it all depends on how they do it. From the trailer I think it's being presented in the wrong way. It seems almost clickbait. Sensationalizing "magic secrets revealed". If they do it from a scientific point of view, it might be pretty interesting to see his demonstrations using today's technology.
Having anyone related to Houdini being there is just to give them their "power" to reveal things and not look bad for doing it. With that said I'll probably check it out if I remember it's on. Not something I'll go out of my way to watch.
I think the point of the promo was probably the same as click bait - get people to watch it. I'm hoping they go for the scientific approach as well. Also, from what I understand, Houdini's great nephew was actually the one that is hosting/coming up with the show.

All that out of the way, @Maaz Hasan I hope you had a great Christmas and all the best in the new year. Cheers!
You too!

Reactions: CWhite

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
I'm not sure what artistic license the documentary is taking, but Houdini never performed Buried Alive. The posters were made but it never happened. There's barely any evidence that he did the Bullet Catch.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I'm not sure what artistic license the documentary is taking, but Houdini never performed Buried Alive. The posters were made but it never happened. There's barely any evidence that he did the Bullet Catch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Houdini#Buried_alive_stunt
He did it at least 3 times. Twice under water, once underland where he made it to the surface with just one hand, fell unconscious, and had to be pulled out.

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2011/03/did-houdini-do-bullet-catch-in-1890s.html
Early in his career, he apparently did the Bullet Catch.

He also used to do an effect where he gave the gun with a marked bullet to "the committee" and gave them the choice of firing at him or a wooden board. If they fired at him, it would smash a plate and the bullet would be between his teeth. If they fired at the wood, it would splinter and shatter. No one ever chose to fire at him.

Though to be honest, I've never heard of Houdini doing the Bullet Catch

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Wikipedia, is a unreliable source.

Houdini performed buried alive 1 time. Zero if being in a sealed coffin in a pool doesn't count. Wikipedia refers to a test that Houdini did, not a performance.

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/p/buried-alive.html

Not entirely true. This isn't 2010 anymore, Wikipedia has some amount of credibility, at least when sources are given. In the Wikipedia article, 2 sources are mentioned pertaining to the first buried alive stunt. The first is a book which I'm sure someone owns and can use to give checks here.

The other is the source that you sent which also states the same thing.

He tried the buried alive act under ground once. He clawed his way out and fell unconscious after his hand broke the surface. He did not perform it after that, but he still tried it once.

He then performed a "buried alive" act under water.

He then advertised it in a stage show, which he never performed because he passed away before the show ever took place. But this probably means he at least practiced it on his own, even if he never performed it on stage.

Either way, the act was labeled "buried alive" in all 3 cases.

The only third party evidence that Houdini performed the bullet catch is this:

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2011/03/did-houdini-do-bullet-catch-in-1890s.html

That's literally the exact same link I gave you.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
I thought it merited posting again because only one person recalls Houdini doing the Bullet Catch. There literally is no other third party evidence.

Houdini was known to make up fictional stories about himself.

Jamy Ian Swiss said:
Harry Houdini has been dead now for seventy years. Seventy years after his death he is still doing the first primary job of a magician. He is still successfully deceiving the public. It's his job to lie, you know he's lying. He's a legimate magician and he is entitled to do that and entitled to mislead his audience.

From the Art of Magic PBS Documentary 1996

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I thought it merited posting again because only one person recalls Houdini doing the Bullet Catch. There literally is no other third party evidence.
That's a fair point

One witness is still present, I guess we could take it or leave it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results