Pressure Fan

Nov 6, 2007
So I've practicing the pressure fan on both hands lately. And I'm not sure if I'm getting anywhere. So I made a video. What I want is for you guys to cretique it. I want to know if I'm doing it wrong or right. Because I'm on honestly not sure if I'm doing it right.

P.S. I already know these arn't the best pressure fans. I'm still working on it.

Here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApiEyQ_KqiI

Sep 1, 2007
man just practice with ur normal hand
when you get it down, learn it with the other

umm, you might also want to "spring" or put pressure on the cards a tiny bit more
also, works a bit better with broken in cards, not brand new

Yeah those need practice. I don't see anything wrong with your technique though. Just keep practicing try to get an even fan. I agree that you should practice with your good hand first then your other hand.

Those fans are terrible AND here are some pointers: ^_^

First off, STARTING POSITION! Your already putting the deck at an angle and not cocked towards the thumb either but cocked away from the thumb. Keep the short end of the parallel with your fingers. The bottom of the deck doesn't even need to contact the ring finger when for your starting grip. You want to get some area for the fan so just keep the deck contacting the index and middle finger for the starting grip. Your placing your thumb more toward the corner of the deck instead of dead center. Dead center at the bottom of the deck for the thumb is best to keep the spread even and round. Once you get this down you can start cocking the deck towards the thumb a little bit to get more than 180 degrees for the fan.

Second, your not really doing a full pressure fan, toward the end your doing a finger fan use the index to spread. Follow the starting grip I described above and apply the pressure you've been doing, but follow through! You keep letting go of the pressure toward the end and use the index instead. Don't be afraid to apply more pressure than you have been to follow through, it's natural in order to understand the pressure fan. The thumb should be on the bottom short side to provide stability for the fanning but not the whole way through.

Third, why are you trying in both hands? It's pretty pointless at this point if you can't master it in your preferred hand yet. Stop running before you learn to walk.

Sep 1, 2007
dude you should learn it in both hands, but you should also seek professional help. Meaning Jerry, the Flourishman, I know i'm a broken record but for Buck's sake, beg borrow and steal to get XB at least. your parents won't have to reverse-mortgage the house.... it's like 40 bucks for crying out loud.

the simple fact is you're not going to get the best help from reading random comments about how horrible people think your pressure fans are, although UEZ's post is pretty good. But really you need to be pro-active about your flourishing if you want to get excellent.

still, keep practicing like a mofo and you'll at least build up some hand strength. probably some really bad habits too, but you can always un-learn those later if you stick with flourishing.

also DO A SEARCH!!!!!!!! there is huge amounts of information on pressure fanning at decknique.net

Nov 6, 2007
"P.S. I already know these arn't the best pressure fans. I'm still working on it."

For all you guys at there who still had to insult my fans, I already posted that right at my first post on the thread so I wouldn't have to hear about it constantly.

-Thank you

Sep 1, 2007
no dude, unless it's to buy his encyclopedia. basically I'm saying if you want to get serious about flourishing, you aren't going to get expert advice here.

think about LeBron James... you think when he wanted to get good at B-ball he went to his neighborhood court and asked the suckas how they like his dunks? heck no he was in school working with his professional coach. same goes for almost all serious athletes. If you just get XB, you won't have to start half the threads you're starting. finger stretching, pressure fanning, springing, ALL THIS IS TAUGHT ON XB!!! and taught much better than random advice from t11 ;)

Nov 6, 2007
UnknownEnemyZero I liked some of your advice and I do admit it's cool to do over 180 degree fans but, I'll like to pivot. And if go to far you can't pivot.

Sep 1, 2007
pivot is used when he's talking about going from back palm to front palm or vice versa. what you're talking about (i think) is a one-handed fan close, which you can still do with a bigger fan than 180 degrees. hell you can do it with a card circle. once again you need to get XB lol

Nov 6, 2007
Maybe your right. I guess that's what I call it and my friend who got me into magic calls it. And it would be nice to get extreme beginners, but I'd rather get the hand exercises DVD. I already have enough information on card flourishes. What I need now is something to strengthen my hands. And I think getting things like hand exercising DVD's and grip master mechanisms would be better for that.

Sep 1, 2007
xb has a section on hand stretches and strengthening from none other than the finger fitness master himself greg irwin.... you don't know how wrong you are when you say "I have enough information", you obviously don't since you keep starting threads that would be quickly answered simply by XB... and you're doing stuff wrong... so you REALLY need xb!!! but i'm done being a broken record, I promise this is the last time I will say it ;)

Closing a fan with one hand, there are ones where it mainly uses the middle finger and some people teach it with the index. For bigger fans you have to learn to use your index finger to close, since the "spidering" motion may take too long if you start it with the middle finger. But it would make more sense if you actually felt comfortable making fans first before you start closing them one-handed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results