Pressure

Jan 13, 2008
Pressure -- UPDATED

I purchased Pressure last night (the download), I've practiced it enough to be comfortable with it (not enough to perform it, though--I can do the sleights, but I want to have a good performance to go along with it), and now I'll give my early impressions on it.

Effect: You borrow a cell phone (or ipod, or whatever other small object). You bring out (or even borrow) a balloon. You blow up the balloon, and then push the object into the balloon as the balloon deflates onto the object; the object gets sucked right into the balloon. This is a really nice moment to show off the phone inside of the balloon. The phone is then taken out of the balloon by you, or you can hand out the phone/balloon for the spectator to take the phone out.

Teaching: The teaching is superb. They go over almost every single thing that needs to be covered (minus one exception, explained below). But, all things considered, they go over everything that you'll really need to know, and they do so in great depth (well, as far in depth as they need to--it's not a difficult effect).

Method: The method is quite genius. It looks great, and is easy to pull off. There's nothing super difficult about any of the moves in this effect. However, even after the cleanup, you are left with one small (physical) inconsistency that they don't touch on, although it doesn't appear as though it'll be that noticeable--especially because after you (or they) take the phone out of the balloon, that inconsistency disappears. It's a small inconsistency, and it doesn't appear as if most will notice it (they're not looking at it with a magician's eyes...they're looking at it, amazed (or at least, they should be, had you performed it decently)).

The method is actually quite practical, though. It's impromptu! The "moves" are easy to do, the cleanup is easy, and the spectator is left astonished. And if cell phones aren't your thing, you could use any small object--a deck of cards, a wallet, a pop can, etc. Whatever your heart desires (that is of the correct size--refer to the bloopers in the video for examples of items you CAN'T use, haha).

Difficulty: This is quite possibly one of the easiest effects that I've learned. There is one instance where a bit of misdirection is your friend, but that misdirection is built into the effect.

Extras: There are bloopers. And there's Daniel Garcia. Plus guests. Need I say more? ;)

Overall: I'm quite pleased with the effect. For $20, you can't go wrong. There is one small inconsistency that isn't addressed that could give you some problems once in a blue moon, but I'm not really worried. It's a great effect, one I can see myself performing quite a bit. Especially because I was looking for an easier alternative to Air Tight, and this looks to be it. Obviously not the exact same effect, but the ease at which this can be performed, and the lower cost (compared to Air Tight, where I'd have to give up a balloon AND a deck of cards, plus a decent amount of prep time), it's much more practical for me. :)

Also, I'd like to mention that out of all of the "one effect DVDs" sold here on T11 (not including 1-on-1's that teach sleights), this is the one I can see myself performing most often (alongside Witness). It truly is a gem!

Although I'm not one for giving effects numbers, I will say that, for $20, I would highly suggest this effect. It's a great one. :)

Aside: I'd also like to take the time to point out that the method in this effect can be applied to more than just putting an object inside of a balloon. What I mean is, you can take it further than that. It's essentially a new sleight, one where you can use your imagination to do other things with it. You can expand upon why you put an object inside of a balloon...maybe you can do a colour changing deck (or a deck switch), or putting an object inside of the balloon and taking part of it out, etc. There are numerous applications for this effect, with just a little imagination.

UPDATE:

Reactions: I went to the Relay 4 Life (fundraiser for the Canadian Cancer Society; you pledge for a few weeks for donations, then spend the whole night walking around the track (you only need one team member on the track at a time, hence "relay"), and doing lots of fun activities) event at my university last night, and decided it would be the perfect opportunity to try out Pressure for a real audience (besides my parents and my girlfriend, haha).

It went over great. Out of all the effects I performed (mind reading with the Universal Impression, stopping one's watch, Biddle, card to wallet, and obviously Pressure), Pressure actually got the wildest reactions. I'm not saying it got the "best" reactions, because each effect gets a different type of reaction, and each person is unique and reacts in a different way, but the reactions I got for Pressure were nuts.

One of the biggest "wow" factors was the initial sucking in of the phone into the balloon. However, the "second wind", so to speak, is when you hand the phone back to them INSIDE of the balloon. They are floored as they're hanging onto the balloon, watching their phone dangle inside of it. It takes a few moments to register (and when I say register, I mean register again)...they were already floored that the phone went inside of the balloon; however, when they're handed the balloon with their phone inside of it, it's like they just saw the trick all over again, as whatever thoughts they had inside of their head just leave and they're left with "wtf?" There is no explanation in their minds...their phone was just sucked into a balloon, and they're holding it there, dangling in front of them. All that's left for them to do is rip it out (assuming they want their phone back--obviously they do).

So, in addition to the above review, I'd like to add that Pressure is indeed great for performing for a real audience. It seems like kind of an obvious thing to say, but I wanted to wait until I had some real world experience with the effect before making that claim. I got a lot of comments on "the balloon trick", all of which were very positive.

So I'd like to echo my initial reaction--this is a must have effect! You would really be missing out by not adding this effect to you repertoire. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2008
please edit your pst, to musch exposure
Which part?

Note that I just reworded something that I thought could possibly be considered exposure from the "effect" description (although I'm quite sure it wasn't exposure...it's even on the teaser)...if there's anything left that you think is exposure in any way, please let me know. :)

Jan 13, 2008
UPDATE:

Reactions: I went to the Relay 4 Life (fundraiser for the Canadian Cancer Society; you pledge for a few weeks for donations, then spend the whole night walking around the track (you only need one team member on the track at a time, hence "relay"), and doing lots of fun activities) event at my university last night, and decided it would be the perfect opportunity to try out Pressure for a real audience (besides my parents and my girlfriend, haha).

It went over great. Out of all the effects I performed (mind reading with the Universal Impression, stopping one's watch, Biddle, card to wallet, and obviously Pressure), Pressure actually got the wildest reactions. I'm not saying it got the "best" reactions, because each effect gets a different type of reaction, and each person is unique and reacts in a different way, but the reactions I got for Pressure were nuts.

One of the biggest "wow" factors was the initial sucking in of the phone into the balloon. However, the "second wind", so to speak, is when you hand the phone back to them INSIDE of the balloon. They are floored as they're hanging onto the balloon, watching their phone dangle inside of it. It takes a few moments to register (and when I say register, I mean register again)...they were already floored that the phone went inside of the balloon; however, when they're handed the balloon with their phone inside of it, it's like they just saw the trick all over again, as whatever thoughts they had inside of their head just leave and they're left with "wtf?" There is no explanation in their minds...their phone was just sucked into a balloon, and they're holding it there, dangling in front of them. All that's left for them to do is rip it out (assuming they want their phone back--obviously they do).

So, in addition to the above review, I'd like to add that Pressure is indeed great for performing for a real audience. It seems like kind of an obvious thing to say, but I wanted to wait until I had some real world experience with the effect before making that claim. I got a lot of comments on "the balloon trick", all of which were very positive.

So I'd like to echo my initial reaction--this is a must have effect! You would really be missing out by not adding this effect to you repertoire. :)

Edit: Actually, I'll add this to my initial post, to make sure it doesn't get overlooked. So if you just read this for a second time, my apologies, heh.

Sep 20, 2008
Gorgeous review, really enjoyed that. its cool that you've field tested the trick too- and have made unbiased comments.

However, the inconsistency that you speak of eludes me. I know its to protect exposure, but it just makes me curious- as there is nothing wrong with the effect at all in my perspective.

There is a clean up at the end yes. And everything can be examinable.

Jan 13, 2008
Gorgeous review, really enjoyed that. its cool that you've field tested the trick too- and have made unbiased comments.

However, the inconsistency that you speak of eludes me. I know its to protect exposure, but it just makes me curious- as there is nothing wrong with the effect at all in my perspective.

There is a clean up at the end yes. And everything can be examinable.
There is cleanup at the end, yes. And you can hand everything out for examination. However, when handing out the phone inside of the balloon, there is one small thing that a spectator theoretically could notice that would seem odd. Obviously I can't mention what it is, because of exposure, like you mentioned. But it's there.

With that said, from my field testing (which is a small sample, to be sure--I think I performed it 6 or 7 times), nobody noticed it. The only time anyone noticed it was when I first tried it by myself--I noticed it. Other than that, nobody noticed, even when they held it in their hands and looked it over. And there's really no reason for them to notice, anyway--the trick is already over, all that's left for them to do is take their cell phone out of the balloon. They're not really worried about everything being 100% as claimed--they see the phone inside of the balloon, and that's all they really need to know; they trust that what they see is 100% fine (and the phone IS inside of the balloon, so it makes sense that they'd be fine with what they see).

I guess what I'm saying is is that while the effect doesn't technically end completely clean (while the phone is still inside the balloon), for all intents and purposes it pretty much clean (you'll be fine; noone notices).

And also, like mentioned, once they actually take their cell phone out of the balloon (which happens fairly quickly, to be honest--I think they want to see that it's indeed their phone, and that it's safe. Which in and of itself is funny, because I was using semi-clear balloons; the type you use for Air Tight), you're completely fine, as the inconsistency I mentioned fixes itself.

I hope that cleared things up, as much as possible (given that I can't actually go into much more detail without risking exposure)? :)

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
One question, is this obvious to the spectators?

Cuz when i saw the trailer, i had a basic idea of how it was done. Then i showed the trailer to my mom and she was able to figure it out too. So are the spectators able to figure it out? Or is it just because i have too much magic experience and it's easier for me?

Jan 13, 2008
One question, is this obvious to the spectators?

Cuz when i saw the trailer, i had a basic idea of how it was done. Then i showed the trailer to my mom and she was able to figure it out too. So are the spectators able to figure it out? Or is it just because i have too much magic experience and it's easier for me?
If you're sitting there trying to figure it out, you're much more likely to realize how it works. Keeping in mind that the spectator has no idea what's going to happen ("He has a balloon and my cell phone...what is he going to do?!"), that helps lessen the chances of that happening.

Since I can't speak for everyone (presentations differ), or every situation, or every spectator, I can't really say with certainty...but I will say that with every one of my performances so far (6 or 7 at the event last night), noone has figured it out (at least not openly--noone said anything about figuring it out; I only got a lot of praise for how awesome it was, lots of "wtf?!" responses, and a lot of "how did you do that?!" responses, etc.). :)

Even one of my really analytical friends wasn't even able to figure it out (and she's figured out quite a few of my effects...which is kind of upsetting, but I see it as a challenge to win even her over); I used her phone, and she was left wondering how I was able to take her phone and put it inside of a balloon. She was speechless (for once :rolleyes:).

I hope that helps a bit! I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, but there are just far too many variables for me to say (i.e., it's not a black and white issue). :)

Edit: I'd just like to note how I was performing Pressure last night, so you guys can get an idea how how the spectator would see what I was doing:

"Let's try something different...an experiment, if you will. Does anyone have a cell phone I could borrow? *I take out a balloon, blow it up, and take the cell phone* Perfect, thanks. Engineering has taught me a lot of things...while I'm not longer in engineering, and while you don't need to be an engineer to know this, it's pretty much a given that a solid can't penetrate a solid." *as I push the phone through the balloon* "Or is it?" *I hand the phone back, inside of the balloon* "Thank you, and enjoy the rest of the night!"

Jan 13, 2008
I'm very glad I picked it up. I'd even love to add it into my show if I can create a routine around it.

j
If you're looking for other balloon related effects to add to the routine, be sure to consider Air Tight by Jay Sankey (although, be forewarned: the setup can be frustrating)--it's a great effect. As for cell phone related effects, you may want to consider Ringtone by Adam Grace (I don't have this effect, so I can't comment on the method for it, but from the teasers and from what I've heard, it's fairly neat).

I'm glad you enjoy Pressure, though! It's definitely a good effect; I was happy with my purchase, as well. :)

Jan 28, 2009
Guys this effect isn't that awesome imo.

It has a huge cataclysmic flaw. If a specatator is really worried about it, they could replicate exactly what you did just by rote repetition, and figure the effect. Personally I prefer tricks where that's not the case.

Jan 13, 2008
Guys this effect isn't that awesome imo.

It has a huge cataclysmic flaw. If a specatator is really worried about it, they could replicate exactly what you did just by rote repetition, and figure the effect. Personally I prefer tricks where that's not the case.
While I agree that that's totally possible, I'm thinking it wouldn't be all that likely. I'd question what you're doing to provoke them to want to go home and try it so badly--they'd need to not only go get a balloon (if they don't have any at home), but they'd also have to remember to do that when they got home (assuming you don't do the effect for them at their house--or that you don't give them a balloon afterwords to try themselves). And even if they did go home and try it, they'd be stuck part way through the effect. No matter how hard they try, they won't be able to get the phone to actually go inside of the balloon, which is what I hand to them (a phone inside of a balloon).

I dunno...I can see the logic behind them being able to somewhat replicate it, but I can't see the motivation really being there, nor would they be able to put all of the pieces together. They'd be able to get far enough that they could figure out that it's a trick, sure, but it's assumed that they're smart enough to know that from the beginning anyway (unless you're performing for kids of a young age, before the whole solids passing through solids thing makes sense to them--in which case, the effect probably wouldn't be all that amazing to them anyway, not having that knowledge to understand why what you did was amazing). How you handed them back their phone inside of the balloon...that would still be a mystery. :)

Jan 28, 2009
Man I disagree, the clean up is one of the most obvious parts of the trick as there is a discrepancy, and it is fairly obvious.

And anyone that sees a good magic trick will sit and think and wonder how it was done. I would counter argue that you aren't doing your job right if they don't go home still thinking about the trick so much that they don't remember to try and replicate it, lol.

Bottom line is, the clean up is fricking obvious, lol, even with misdirection, a bit of thought denotes how it -must- be done.

Basically this is something that'll get you good reactions, but its not a reputation maker because really....it is fairly obvious in the long run.

It is a cool effect, but really...it's not that cool.

Jan 28, 2009
I dunno man, one of the reasons I got into magic was I used to sit there and wonder how the hell does he do that, and I continued wondering that until I figured out my first trick.

Most conversations lay people have about magic tricks are....."how the hell did he do that?"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results