Pressure

lance_amini

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2008
Bahrain
hi
when ever i perform pressure ppl immediately ask me about the week point and they actually explain what i did :S and i cant just do the clean up and give them cause as you know it will be wet for some reasons
do they catch me cause i'm doin it wrong :S?

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
it is because you do it the wrong time. Allow me to eplain. The only move in Pressure is done on the off-bit your head at this point is blocking the view. the effect in the eyes of the spectators is already over (and your body language should show thati .t is quite important] furthermore by saying sth like "here if i tear it you can actually feel your phone inside of the balloon" . If you do what i suggest and YOU ARE NOT NERVOUS WHILE DOING THE MOVE then you should be ok

George

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Hey, whats up

I can't say for sure without seeing you perform it, but considering this trick only came out 3 days ago and you're performing it less than 72 hours after it was released I assume you ARE doing it wrong. You should definitely put in at least a good week or two of practice before performing any effect no matter how easy it is. You haven't had enough time to make sure that you're flawless when using the techniques DG taught and that your presentation mirrors your patter. This is easily corrected, just stop performing for real people, and give it another week's practice and you should be good. I know it's hard to hold out on a new trick that you just learned, but you have to have patience in magic.

Zack

lance_amini

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2008
Bahrain
yea i know but some ppl insist to see "weak point" of the phone even when i flash it casually like they say and when i'm doin it i'm not nervous at all i first tried it with my family they all caught me my friends some did some didn't

lance_amini

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2008
Bahrain
I can't say for sure without seeing you perform it, but considering this trick only came out 3 days ago and you're performing it less than 72 hours after it was released I assume you ARE doing it wrong. You should definitely put in at least a good week or two of practice before performing any effect no matter how easy it is. You haven't had enough time to make sure that you're flawless when using the techniques DG taught and that your presentation mirrors your patter. This is easily corrected, just stop performing for real people, and give it another week's practice and you should be good. I know it's hard to hold out on a new trick that you just learned, but you have to have patience in magic.

Zack

i completely understand what your saying i honestly got how he did it when i first saw his performance but i didn't know the clean up i'll wait as you said :)

Jun 2, 2008
I had the same problem with my younger brother but this is because he knows that he can just do what he wants and grab it out of my hands etc.

When you do it for spectators (Strangers) they dont snatch it out your hands and they wait for you to do the whole trick. Thats the problem with family and friends. They just shout things out half way through a trick, never give you time to show them.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
It all depends on body language. When i do it, i usually lean forward and get all tense and focused while i still have the blown up balloon in my hands. Then i'd be like "Watch...." and concentrate intently on the balloon. This will make them focus more and think that the secret move happens during this time. When the balloon is deflated, i snap the end, lean back, and relax. In their mind, everything is done.

Mar 18, 2009
See, this is the problem I'm having. After I deflate it and the phone is in the balloon, yeah people think it's over, BUT they automatically want to take it from me.
I had at least 4 people today almost just snatch it out of my hand.

Mar 19, 2009
Calgary, AB
Suggestion

See, this is the problem I'm having. After I deflate it and the phone is in the balloon, yeah people think it's over, BUT they automatically want to take it from me.
I had at least 4 people today almost just snatch it out of my hand.

I find the best method to stop this no matter what the effect is...say after you grab the phone and blow up the balloon take 2 steps back from them and say "now watch". This gives you distance from them and also puts there eyes where you want.

Try it I bet you have better luck! Hope that helps!

PiotrJC

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2007
I would just like to say that i have done this trick in school about 10 times in the past 2 days and i got really great reactions. No was suspicious of anything. I really love this trick and i would really recommend it to anyone to buy. I would also like to say that one of the performances i did was to my principle, he loved it!:D

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I would just like to say that i have done this trick in school about 10 times in the past 2 days and i got really great reactions. No was suspicious of anything. I really love this trick and i would really recommend it to anyone to buy. I would also like to say that one of the performances i did was to my principle, he loved it!:D

I understand where you are coming from here... but I must implore you or at least strongly suggest you to not do the trick 10 times in 2 days. Hehe... and this is not because I don't think you are doing it well, as I have no clue about your performances... I am giving you this advice for YOUR sake.

This is an extremely powerful trick... or should I say. it COULD be a powerful trick if you allow it to be. It could be a trick EVERYONE begs you to do whenever they see you. However, if you do it this often, it will become another simple parlour trick where people say, "yeah I saw him do it again yesterday, it was cool," rather than, "WHAT??? YOU GOT TO SEE the baloon trick??? lucky bastard!!!"

Now for the original post... It is 100% ALL about conviction and build up. You can't leave any room for doubt that what you are explaining and what you do REALLY happens. Of course it does "really" happen, but the points you are talking about as being weak, are only weak if you leave holes in your performance for them to be speculated on. Now, others have told you not to go out and perform pressure yet because you have not had enough practice... but that is not technically correct. Learning how to fill in weak points with absolute conviction to the point where your spectators follow and lean on every word you say and action you do... that takes years of practice as a performer in general, not just with pressure.

Trust me, you need to be 100% dominant in voice, posture, body action for Pressure to be the full blown amazing trick that it has potential to be. This is why I think DG and DW are great with this, because they can both have very dominant presences which don't let the spectators get a head of them and control them with questions like, "show me this" and "show me that..." look at their performance videos again.. they are in complete control.

They achieved this not through practicing pressure a lot, but through being very experienced performers.

Of course, pressure can always be a fun and good trick... but it can also be an amazing, super powerful, and extremely hard-hitting trick.... it all depends on you.

PiotrJC

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2007
hey i see what you are saying and i do agree about preforming it as much as i did its just i love this trick but I'll try to be more sefl-controlled. Thanks

Jan 28, 2009
Fact is, this is an over priced, over hyped trick that has the obvious flaw that anyone can do the first part just by replicating what you've done, and the clean up leads to a discrepancy that you can't perform your way out of particularly easily. I figured it the first time I saw it. I didn't watch the demo video 50 times. I watched it once and was like......that's just painfully obvious, then I guessed the clean up, and was disappointed when I found out I was correct having seen the video.

So yeah, this is a good effect, but this isn't the best effect since sliced bread. It does have flaws. I know many on this forum are all excited about it, and spent their 20 bucks and are like.....wow this is the best ever, but the truth is its not. It's cool, its entertaining to watch and to perform, but this isn't a reputation maker. It's just way too obvious. I've not been busted performing it and I've had great reactions, but I know when they go home, or as they think about it they'll be like....ahhhh. Compared to some of the other stuff DG has done, this is just sub par. (He does set a high bar for himself but for me this comes in way under it.)

I'm sure the Theory11 line is, well David Blaine, Daniel G and any other number of professional magicians have performed this and always and only had great reactions. Well fact is, you give Monet a stick and he uses it as a paintbrush, he'll paint a good picture, but you can't then go off and sell that stick as the be all and end all of paintbrushes imo.

So yeah, fact is, some percentage of people will be like me, or any number of other people that understand basic physics on which this trick is based and will be like.....obvious. It's not going to kill a performance, and they'll probably recognize the coolness, but it just falls short of giving the impression of being real -magic- to me.

Nov 7, 2008
OneCard, I agree. My wife figured this out right away when I showed it to her. On the other hand, I did it for my son like 5 times in a row and he had no clue. Bottom line, be very choosy about your audience. I work in Engineering and this is definitely one I will not show my co-workers (they're a rough crowd anyway). I mostly bought the Download because there is always some little nuance or variation in the videos that you never think of yourself. Plus it's entertaining and I can't justify using the trick when I would not have otherwise came up with it myself, even if I did figure it out on my own. I mostly bought this to entertain kids. It looked ideal for birthday parties and other celebrations since balloons are just a part of the scenery anyway. Much more natural than just pulling out a ballon in the middle of the street. I don't think any kid will figure this out unless they are a total genius.

Hi Magicians,

I have not bought Pressure. Still deciding on whether to get it or not.
I have a few questions reguarding the effect.
I know tat this is an impromtu trick which is capable of attaining good reactions.
It is highly visual(to me) but can i use a transparent ballon to further increase the visual aspect of the trick. I notice that coloured ballons are used in the preview
Secondly, many people claimed to have figured out the effect. Was it becasue those people already have experice in ballon penetrating magic and have owned other effects that are already available in the market? As for me i have no experience in ballon magic and i know nothing about it.

Nov 7, 2008
Hi Magicians,

can i use a transparent ballon to further increase the visual aspect of the trick.
Secondly, many people claimed to have figured out the effect. Was it becasue those people already have experice in ballon penetrating magic and have owned other effects that are already available in the market?

First question: Yes you can use any color balloon you want. A clear balloon will not give anything away.

As far as figuring it out, if you are the kind of person with a mind for physics and basic mechanics, you may figure this one out. Most people probably won't think of it unless they see the effect more than once, which you shouldn't do with any effect as a general practice. I haven't yet performed this effect for strangers and quite honestly my friends and family are very technical minded. This makes every effect difficult for me to use on them. They are the worst crowd to take control of. I suspect that peforming for strangers will be a bit easier. Friends and family are also more apt to question your actions because they know you so well. A stranger is usually not so bold. There are some things that you can do with it that are pretty cool and the video is entertaining. I won't use this everyday because I do have a variety of stuff, but it will certainly have a time and place. If you haven't figured it out, it's a good bet others will not either. Just don't show it to the science professor.:eek:

Haha. Okie i understand what u meant. Thnx alot =) People who claimto figure out the effect is because they are technical minded ~.~(which means i am not) or the magician did not have enough practise and started performing. 2 possibilities.

Mar 9, 2009
Fact is, this is an over priced, over hyped trick that has the obvious flaw that anyone can do the first part just by replicating what you've done, and the clean up leads to a discrepancy that you can't perform your way out of particularly easily. I figured it the first time I saw it. I didn't watch the demo video 50 times. I watched it once and was like......that's just painfully obvious, then I guessed the clean up, and was disappointed when I found out I was correct having seen the video.

So yeah, this is a good effect, but this isn't the best effect since sliced bread. It does have flaws. I know many on this forum are all excited about it, and spent their 20 bucks and are like.....wow this is the best ever, but the truth is its not. It's cool, its entertaining to watch and to perform, but this isn't a reputation maker. It's just way too obvious. I've not been busted performing it and I've had great reactions, but I know when they go home, or as they think about it they'll be like....ahhhh. Compared to some of the other stuff DG has done, this is just sub par. (He does set a high bar for himself but for me this comes in way under it.)

I'm sure the Theory11 line is, well David Blaine, Daniel G and any other number of professional magicians have performed this and always and only had great reactions. Well fact is, you give Monet a stick and he uses it as a paintbrush, he'll paint a good picture, but you can't then go off and sell that stick as the be all and end all of paintbrushes imo.

So yeah, fact is, some percentage of people will be like me, or any number of other people that understand basic physics on which this trick is based and will be like.....obvious. It's not going to kill a performance, and they'll probably recognize the coolness, but it just falls short of giving the impression of being real -magic- to me.

I completely disagree. Your right that it's not the greatest effect since sliced bread, but I think your wrong on many other fronts. First off the price. Check out Ellusionist before you complain about that. Then you may come back saying "You could get a DVD with a bunch of tricks on it for the same price". True. But this is a signature effect, not one you toss into a DVD with other random tricks. And I disagree with the replication as well. With correct performance you should have a presence that represents power, control, and magic. Your spectator shouldn't want to try and replicate what you just did, and chances are even if they tried that couldn't do it right. If you don't leave holes in your performance, you can turn a double lift into the best card routine on the planet. As far as not leaving a "Real Magic" impression, I disagree again. This IS real magic. Taking something that is in a spectator's world everyday, and taking it to an extraordinary level, and you say it's not magic? Performance, patter, and attitude is key when performing magic, and in my opinion, if this is how you feel, I don't even know that you've given pressure a fair chance. You can completely disagree with me, but I know that this effect is powerful. Oh, and as far as the cleanup leaving discrepancy, honestly, 99% of spectators are going to think the trick is over, and if you don't leave holes in your routine, and constantly keep them focused on what your doing at the right times, they won't even notice. The wetness could have just as easily run out from the hole in the balloon you bit out, or even from your mouth when you bit it. That's my two cents.

I couldn't agree with you more. I, like many others, easily saw the "how it got in the balloon" part from the previews (what little they had until release time) but I bought it because I figured they had a good cleanup move. "Wrong!" Like you said though It'll work for most kids so it's not a total loss.

I don't see why everybody keeps blaming performance for the reason it lacks. How elegant can you make holding a phone behind a balloon and deflating? It's kinda like how can you mess up cooking a hot dog? (other than burning it)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results