Private Gigs - How Much?

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
Hey everyone i searched the boards for something like this but couldn't find anything.

My question what do you think you should charge for a gig if you don't mind me asking. I thought I should have some kind of minimum time to be hired for and a flat rate for that time and then do a deal per hour after that. So I thought maybe 50 for 2 hours and 20 an hour after that? I really don't have any idea how much but I like the structure of that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
You definitely should have a rate set or people will abuse you. I don't know how much though. I don't do too many paid gigs. My first, I just let them decide. I got $20 for 45 minutes from the person who hosted, plus she passed around a tip jar, from which I apparently impressed enough to earn $65 in tips.

Jul 13, 2008
Buffalo,Ny
Personally I charge $50 an hour, and I go for a minimum of an hour. Usually in the end I'll cover that hour and end up with more than 50 anyway. But that is just my 2 cents. In no way do I consider it expert advice.

Depending on the situation, depends on how much I will charge.

But as a basic average;

Private Gigs (Parties, Dinners etc) around $300-400p/h.

Private Gigs (Product Launches, Business Functions) Around $600-800p/h.

Also depends on what effects I perform, and where they are located.

Though the above costs may seem high, you get what you paid for.

I did an hour of performing for the Womens and Childrens Hospital in Adelaide 'Busking' and raised $900 in the single hour.

Hope this helps, perhaps not what you will be able to charge now, but as a guide in the future.

Cheers,
Matt

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I don't charge less then 200-250$ an hour. Then again it depends on how experienced you see your self how many gigs you've done how long you've been steadily practicing and what other people see when you do magic and all that stuff. For restaurant work you should be working for the 50-100 and if your very experienced I know pros that have done restaurant work for upwards of 200/hr

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I'd around for private gigs it really depends on you. Most guys usually charge around 75-400 an hour depending on the gig and what type of event it is.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
Wow thanks for the quick responses everyone!

I knew this would be subjective based on skill and such. I dont think there is anyway to justify how good I am compared to how much I should charge in this forum.

The responses are already helping- Keep 'em coming and thanks again!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
ask them how much they are willing to spend.

Yeah that'll make you money. "How much are you willing to spend?" "5 bucks." "SOLD!"

They don't know how much most entertainers charge and most likely never will. You need to set a price and if they can't afford that, then maybe lower it by like 10 or so bucks depending on what your price is.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
well, most private gigs will have a certain budget to spend on entertainment. I would make 3 different choices, one smaller one for a lower price and increase until the maximum amount on their budget. this is what I would recommend. but also keep an idea of the minimum that you would work for. how much do you feel your show is worth.

Oct 30, 2008
Just wanted to state something, you want your spectators to remember YOU and not the tricks you did. You want them to be able to say "OMG *Insert Name Here* was such a good magician!", rather than "OMG this magician's trick was pretty cool, I think his name started with a D". Although you should do good and simple magic, make sure you are able to incorporate yourself into the performance.

Just wanted to state something, you want your spectators to remember YOU and not the tricks you did. You want them to be able to say "OMG *Insert Name Here* was such a good magician!", rather than "OMG this magician's trick was pretty cool, I think his name started with a D". Although you should do good and simple magic, make sure you are able to incorporate yourself into the performance.

lol cool,

But what does this have to do with the price of eggs?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
It depends on what you think you're worth.

I think someone once told me Bill Malone gets something like 50,000 a show.

Is it worth it to pay him that much?...they probably make that back easy with packed house and concessions.

I haven't done any paid gigs, but you really have to stop and think about what you're worth.

If I paid 50$/hr for entertainment at a smaller venue, and nobody talks about the magic...it was money wasted.
But if I pay 200$/hr for an entertainer who makes the event a complete success, it's totally worth it.

Again, there is no right or wrong answer, just be able to back up whatever you ask for.

-Rik

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
It depends on what you think you're worth.

It depends what you THINK yer worth. Simon Lovell has been known to say the way to get higher fees is to have the balls to ask for them... BUT you have to be able to back it up. You can't charge a grand and suck. Be honest with yourself, get a going rate of YOUR area, and go forth. Don't try to undercut too far. You give everyone else a bad time and they will know and not like you for it.

Also, there is such a thing as perceived worth. Some will not hire you because you charge too LITTLE. "Well he's only 150$, he can't be THAT good. Some people like to brag about the money they spent. Know your clients.

If they sneer at your initial price THEN ask them what their BUDGET is. Not what they are looking to spend and maybe work with them or recommend someone else.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I normally charge $100 for a 40 minute show if it is a private party. I have about 8 years of magic experience but only 1 year actually doing paid gigs. I have never been turned down for asking 100 bucks so I may increase that to $150-$200 in the next few months. If you are going to charge and arm and a leg...you better be able to have some confidence and showmanship. I wouldn't start out any less than 50 bucks or people are not going to take you very serious. Just my two cents.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results