Productivity Exercises.

Nov 20, 2013
Another Stake Show.

Information begins under this line.

What's to learn in this post? Four productivity exercises.
Get more done. In less time. All in one place.

As stated yesterday. I spend tons of time working on magic. I write magic. Practice magic. Breathe magic. I'm even reading Harry Potter for fun. Magic, magic, magic. So I wanted to share my productivity tricks with you. Enjoy.
#BreatheMagic.

01 Eat that frog. You know those things you put off? Maybe for a day. A week. Weeks. Months. Well. Eat that frog. A quote by Twain. I paraphrase. If you eat a frog in the morning. It will be the worst thing that happens all day. So eat it early. Eat it daily. A “frog” is a term used for things you hate to do.

Example. If you just filmed a magic trick. If you know about editing. It will take hours to edit! Eat that frog. If you dread it all day. The whole day suffers. All productivity. Everything. Do it at 5:30am. Get it over with. Then have fun with your girlfriend the rest of the day. If you sit and stew. Man. I don't want to make this video. You'll think about it all day. You'll have guilt. Do. It. Early. Get on with it.
For more information. There is a book on Eating that Frog. Search it on amazon. Thank you.

#EatThatFrog.

02 The Important/Deadline quadrant. I use this daily. I altered it from “important/urgent” because urgent can be a sliding scale. Sliding. Scales. Suck. I hate them. You hate them. We need definition.

So- what is the quadrant?

Using a combination of “important”, and “deadline” you can create four quadrants.
Quadrant one. Like a graph.
Important/Deadline. If the answer is yes to both these question. Is it important? Does it have a deadline? The objective goes here. Much like a preparation for a show. You got hired. It is important. There is a deadline. It is the most important quadrant.

Important/ No Deadline. Quadrant two. If it is important and has no deadline. It goes here. Scheduled Sessions. Create your own tricks. Find a way to make x trick better. All these fall into this quadrant.

Not Important/ Deadline. Quadrant three. If it is not important and has a deadline. Quadrant three. Example. Your buddy has a magic release coming out. You want to call him to congratulate him. It's not really “important” for you. But it is special. Take the time. It would make you feel good. He'll feel good. You should say it before the release is old news. Be quick with it.

Not Important/ No Deadline. Create a quadrant for this. For me. I always wanted to read “Beyond Secrets” by Jay Sankey. This quadrant is where that goes in.

I number my quadrants. In order of importance. It's great. This alone has helped me organize and succeed. Quickly.

#Quadrants.

03 80/20 rule. A popular yet controversial technique. An Italian economist said. 80% of Italy's wealth in his time period was owned by 20% of it's people. How does this work for productivity?

20 percent of your input.

Creates 80% of your output.

So ask yourself. What 20 percent of my input is producing results. Do more of that. Visit the 80/20 rule ever week or two. Just keep asking and answering. Then you'll be more productive.

Note: 90/10 and 95/5 do happen. But we seek 80/20. If it was 95/5 it would be obvious.

Terms to search for: 80/20 rule. Patero Distribution. Patero being the economist to discover the theory.

#80/20.

04 Pomodoro technique. This technique is the most fun. By far. Well, 80/20 can be fun. When you keep finding the 20. But with the pomodoro technique. It's kinda like a game. A game? Oh yeah!

Try and see how much you can get done in 25 minutes. Take a 5 minute break. Repeat. This has science. Scientists say to get “in the zone” it takes 20 minutes. Minimum. When you get in the zone you stay there for 5 minutes. After the 25 minutes is up. You take a 5 minute break. GENIUS! When the 5 minute timer goes off. Back to it. Until you either finish the mission. Or need to change the thing you are working on. AMAZING! I dig.
This makes working a game. An addicting one. With measurable wins.

Just search “pomodoro technique” in your favorite search engine. This will give you more information.
#Pomodoro.

4 productivity exercises. Do 'em. Win. Thank you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results