Professional Cardists?

Nov 12, 2013
I have heard of people doing cardistry professionally, but Im not quite sure what they mean by that. Do they do shows? Does it mean you have a flourish or dvd on the market? Do you land gigs or something? How do you become a professional cardist?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
It means various things, including selling tutorials of original moves, generating revenue by YouTube videos (of cardistry), being hired for adverts (see Dan and Daves English Laundry, Toshiba and Smokin' Aces appearances), being sponsored by companies as an "artist".
They are some of the requirements to call yourself a professional cardist.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I don't think professional cardists exist. Michael James is a well-known cardist advertised by theory11 with a successful DVD project, but he does video production for a living. Even the Buck Twins aren't professional cardists. A "professional" in this sense is someone who has turned their hobby into their main source of income. I can't think of any cardist that can actually live purely off cardistry. Sure, if you brand yourself and start selling things like decks of cards and DVDs then you can make a living. But even then the real income is coming from the brand, not your actual cardistry.

Cardists are also struggling with a general lack of mainstream demand for their skill. Magicians can tap into the "mainstream" world much easier than a cardist can. Cardists typically make their money from other cardists/card enthusiasts. Magicians can make money from both performers and laymen. Profits will always be limited when you're targeting a smaller market.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results