PROFESSIONALISM -- First Impressions Count!

So, you’re asking yourself, how do I establish myself as a true magician? How do I set myself apart from the image that many people have about magicians, and show that I actually know what I’m doing. It all comes down to professionalism.

In magic, as well as a lot of things in life, first impressions are everything. There are many aspects that determine how your audience perceives you, and how they’ll react to your magic. In a few moments, we’ll discuss some important things that you can change to alternate how your audience thinks of you and your magic. Two important topics, such as how to dress , and how to script an opener that works for you, and will get you a “yes”. Let’s begin.

So…how do clothes affect you in the eyes of an audience, and how do you dress to establish yourself as someone that takes magic seriously?

For one, clothes can have a drastic impact on the audiences opinion of you. It’s true. Would you think the same of a homeless person that’s dressed in rags as you would a businessman in a $5,000 suit? I know I wouldn’t. You would also treat them differently too. Now, I’m not saying that I would be mean or disrespectful to the homeless man, as I certainly would not, but you would expect different things from both of them.

You would expect the business man to have money, class, style. You would expect him to be professional and nice. That’s the image they try to portray, and you would expect him to live up to it.

As for the homeless man, you would not expect as much from him. You would expect him to be a beggar, desperate, to smell and look bad. It may not be right, but it is the case. People are like that, and that’s why first impressions are so important in magic. It tells the audience what to expect.

So, how can I have a positive first impression on the audience? This can be done in many ways, all of which are extremely important.

1. Dress. The clothes you wear are extremely important, and this cannot be stressed enough. If you are going out to perform, you have to look good. You have to be able to be identified as the magician. Now, I’m not talking about guerilla magic. I don’t know to much on that subject. I’m talking about if your going someplace to impress people, you have to look your best.

That means dress pants. Black jeans do not count. They are still jeans, and just as bad. You need dress pants. If you want people to treat you as a professional, you have to look like it. The saying that you should dress one step above your audience, that is so true. But, you also need to stand out. That means wearing bright and vibrant colors if it fits. You need some way to set yourself apart from everyone else.

2. Introduction. Your first few words to the audience is so vital. It determines whether they say yes or no, what they think of you, if you care about what you’re saying, etc. We’ll talk about a few factors below.

So…how does your intro determine whether they say ‘yes’ or ‘no’? Well, this is easy. It can do a lot of things to the audience, and put them in a certain mood. The first few seconds of you approaching them is so crucial. Time is precious, so make the most of it. By the time you finish your first sentence, you have to have won them over, and make them stop what they’re doing to see you perform. Your words can make or break this.

What you need to do is get them in a good mood. This can be done by having an energetic opener. Sound enthusiastic. Don’t be fake either. They’ll be able to tell if you’re really sincere. Get in a good mood, get pumped up.
Also, the first question you ask better not be “do you want to see some magic?” Why? Because they think they know what you’re going to do, and will most likely say no. Ask them anything but that.

My patter: “Hey guys! How is everyone doing tonight? …That’s great! My name is Steve, I’m the House Magician here at Red Robin! I was wondering if you folks wanted to see some magic, compliments of the management?”

It almost always gets a yes, and very rarely a no. But, what works for me, might not work for you. That’s why you need to customize and create an approach that fits your style, character, and audience. All these should be taken into consideration, as they have a pretty sizeable impact on the final results (whether they say yes or no).

Also, when I first approach a table or group, I check them over to see who the main person is. The one that is getting all the attention. Why? Because that’s the person that you need to win over. If they say yes, then you’re in. You have to make them your friend, and give them attention. That’s what they want, and that’s how you can get them to give in. Give them what they want (attention), they’ll give you what you want (a yes).

So…there you have it folks. Like I said, I’m just touching on the subjects, giving you something to think about. In my opinion though, these are often over-looked by younger magicians, rushing out and not giving them the proper attention.

The above can make or break a performance in my opinion. And if you have any questions, or wish for me to touch on a certain subject further, then please PM me.

Best,
Steve

P.S. This is not the ONLY way to establish yourself as someone that takes magic seriously, but an important factor in getting the respect of the audience. If they see you as a professional performer, they’ll treat you as such. Just my thoughts…

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sidrohc

Nice Tips!

That is some good advice right there. I will keep all of that in mind.

Excellent points Steve, something we should all take into account.

I've seen quite a few magicians who have messed up there first impressions, including myself.

If you want to know more about the importance of first impressions as well as other tips, I highly recommend two texts:

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

and

Win the Crowd by Steve Cohen

Check them out, excellent books for all performers...and people.

J.

Sep 1, 2007
Worcester, UK
Wow Long Post. But well worth reading.

I think first impressions are important. But i don't think it should be confused with style. (I don't belive you have btw)

If you are going for the professional look, you go for that look to reach certain audience's.( Dinner partys, weddings) If you want to perform strolling* magic then you should dress more casual.

I belive you should dress how your audience dresses. Dinner Partys people dress posh, so should you. On the street at a pub - people dress casual so should you.

Very Good Post Thankyou.

*Street

When I started reading this, I was thinking negative things.

I got to the part about finding the head person of the crowd you want to hit and it was like a eureka moment.

Very very good advice. That was something that actually changed the way I aproach a group of spectators.

Aug 31, 2007
Thank You

Wow that was great advice, i read your opener and said (outloud) "that's ingenius." really it was, thank you so much. i'm going to look up those other texts as well

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
I believe the most essential thing u said in your post is Set up a standard, setup an expectation, it is same in job interview meeting people, basicly every social interation.

Once people have put u in to a certain cateogory you generally stays there, when u make a mistake as a professional the audience will over look it as they expect u to do some miracules recover or expect it is their own mistake ;D

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Be the best dressed or the most outstanding dressed. If you look like a waiter they want a drink refill. If you look like well.. most "Street" magicians nowadays they won't let you in or take you seriously. You wouldn't wear a wetsuit to a formal as much as you wouldn't wear a tux to a swim meet.

Anyone can get work. It's if you get RE-hired. That's the rub.

Be the best dressed or the most outstanding dressed. If you look like a waiter they want a drink refill. If you look like well.. most "Street" magicians nowadays they won't let you in or take you seriously. You wouldn't wear a wetsuit to a formal as much as you wouldn't wear a tux to a swim meet.

Anyone can get work. It's if you get RE-hired. That's the rub.

Bizzaro,

You hit the nail on the head my friend. I couldn't have said it better if I tried. Glad to hear people are actually getting something from it...makes me proud :D.

Best.
Steve

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results