Promo Reel Feedback

Hey everyone!

I finally have my promo reel up! I would love to get feedback on it so I can make even better promo reels in the future since this is the first promo reel I have ever created. Any advice/feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey everyone!

I finally have my promo reel up! I would love to get feedback on it so I can make even better promo reels in the future since this is the first promo reel I have ever created. Any advice/feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Looks cool! If you get more footage from other gigs, maybe mix that in to get a more versatile look (kinda like how skaters might film a ton of video parts in one location and spread them out across their videos from multiple locations, almost making it seem like they went to a lot more locations than they actually did).

Also, when the Music started I was like - Daaaaang. It started so perfectly lol

Looks cool! If you get more footage from other gigs, maybe mix that in to get a more versatile look (kinda like how skaters might film a ton of video parts in one location and spread them out across their videos from multiple locations, almost making it seem like they went to a lot more locations than they actually did).

Also, when the Music started I was like - Daaaaang. It started so perfectly lol
Thanks Maaz! Yeah I definitely want to get more professional footage at my next public gig. Unfortunately all of my gigs now and that I have lined up are private events to where I would need permission to record and sometimes children are present and that open's up another can of worms. Plus my editor and I wanted to keep this under a minute that way event planners would be more inclined to check it out. But yeah I want to fill another fifteen seconds worth with footage from another venue.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What's the goal for this video?

You mentioned you wanted a shorter video so planners are inclined to check it out - the problem is that planners also want to know what they are getting, and this video doesn't entirely show that. This is kind of a teaser - the kind of thing someone would put out to entice people to see a show (ie: buy a ticket), not book it for an event they are planning.

When a planner is arranging an event, their primary motivation is to make sure the event is well received by the audience. Half the time they don't even care what the act on stage is, as long as it makes the patrons happy. When I watch this, as a patron I'm intrigued, but as a person who arranges events I'm thinking, "Ok I saw something with a coin I think, there were needles on thread, he was shirtless at one point what's that about ... " I don't get a feel for what your show actually is.

One way to get extra video footage on a budget is to plan a show specifically for that purpose. Tell your friends and family and whoever else that you're throwing a party, you'll be the live entertainment. Find a place with good lighting (I've made that mistake too many times already), and do your show as if it were a regular performance. Get some testimonials afterward, but don't fill your video with testimonials (it ends up sounding fake if it 's more than, say, 3 quick ones). The advantage of this, for some people, is that if it's people you know you might be more comfortable with bantering and such which can be a great bonus for someone looking to book you later - they want to know you can entertain the crowd.

So now the positive stuff, to end on a high note.

Nothing in the video annoyed me, which is a nice change (I get sent a lot of annoying videos). You did the music well, you didn't overdue the video effects (in my opinion), your audiences were having a great time. I think this will be a great start for promo videos and you'll be able to use it to generate interest in your show, which is a good thing.

What's the goal for this video?
Basically my goal was to publicly announce that I'm available to be booked for gigs. I plan to put it on GigSalad and GigMasters once I have my photoshoot and website built. I also wanted to create something that wasn't boring and to show I put on a different type of show than the other magicians in my area (i.e. sword, swallowing, chain escape, etc.).

Thank you for your feedback! I am hoping that some of my past clients will be willing to let me do a video testimonial of their experience in hiring me but they seem to be a bit nervous about being in front of a camera. I think that if I explain to them how much it will help me in the long run they may be more willing to be filmed. I think what I will do in the immediate future is create a separate testimonial video and put it next to this reel on the website once it's finished. Then once I get more footage overall, I'll put together a longer promo reel that includes the testimonials. Right now I just needed something to get me started.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
One thing I've seen from several people who run talent agencies is that testimonials don't carry the weight they used to. It's too easy to get a bunch of people to talk about how great you are.

What they want to see is your audience loving what you do, and enough of the show to understand what they'd be hiring. I've also read that you should have a full show filmed for some agencies, so they know exactly what they are getting - but if they want that, they will request it.

I think if you just show more of a few routines, that would be fine. Like, show yourself bantering with the audience, show enough of a few different routines to give the gist of what's happening, without giving the pay off. Like, show yourself putting a needle on your tongue, then show eating the thread, cut away and show the audience reaction. I mean, I'm not a videographer so there's probably better ways to communicate the vibe of the show without giving away the endings of your routines, but that's what I think of. One or two quick testimonials in there, particularly if it's from the person who hired you for an event, are good.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results