Prophet or Profit?

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I don't think you needed to make an actual thread to ask this question. You could have just asked in the long Prophet thread we have going on.

Why did they name it Prophet? No idea, but it sounds cool. I guess profit was commonly used so they needed to spell it cooler. Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Well, considering I can't use MONEY for this effect, I could use it to switch a blank bit of paper to a bit of paper with a prediction sorta thing on it.

Prophet makes sense, sorta.

Sep 1, 2007
It's all marketing, the name it something "cool" to attract newbies. I mean check out the names of the other tricks.
http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Digital Dissolve? Nothings dissolving or melting...
Witness? Nothing to do with any transpo I wouldn't think
Panic? Who's panicking?
Distortion? Nothing's distorting..

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
It's all marketing, the name it something "cool" to attract newbies. I mean check out the names of the other tricks.
Panic? Who's panicking?

Digital Dissolve: You could say that the coin is dissolving away into the other coin.
Witness: Listen to the patter that Lee uses. He says, right before they turn over the card in the bag "You are all a witness." As in, witnessing what just occurred.
Panic: You kinda answered that one for yourself. It's supposed to be that you panic when the deck vanishes. I actually use the name in my patter. "Don't panic, though. The rest of the deck is in my back pocket."
Distortion: Of course something is distorting.

Aug 31, 2007
Panic? Who's panicking?

Any opportunity to throw stones, eh? Digital Dissolve, a change of a coin at the finger tip (look up what digital means). Distortion, you don't call the action of moving the card and the pips moving as anything similar to Distortion? Granted, some of the other names don't make sense, but neither do a ton of other effects out there.

Grow up. People like to throw stones because Theory11 is Theory11.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
Yes, it is a play on words, a pun, but it does not make sense as one. There is no reason for the play.

Usually a play on words is only clever, and appropriate if both meanings have a logical connection to the use.

For example, although not the best, but it is just the first one that comes to mind, ReinCARDnation, the effect is a card trick, and the word brings to mind images of rebirth, and such, which is appropriate as the trick is a restoration.

Sep 1, 2007
You guys clearly couldn't tell that I wasn't trying to insult them; remember, you can't read tone of voice. That said, dissolve means break apart and disperse, so no, you couldn't really say that. It would make sense for a coin vanish though. Witness... sure he uses it in the patter, but it still doesn't really make sense for the effect itself (if you look at it without the patter). Panic... means an outbreak of fear, and I guess if people think you're a witch or something... but it makes no sense for the effect itself. You could probably name any effect Panic, as all effects create some sort of reaction. As for Distortion... I really wouldn't consider the way the cards change to be an act of distortion - distortion is more of a blurred, swirling effect visually. I'm not saying the tricks themselves suck, I'm just saying that naming does help to increase sales. I, myself, think that they're all good tricks. And Prophet uses a good change for Easy Money. And no chainzero, I am not trying to throw stones.

Aug 31, 2007
People throw stones at Theory11 because it is meant to be the greatest, most revolutionary site around, yet it hasn't proved itself to be. Yet.

That said, I agree that the name "Prophet" and all other names of magic tricks nowadays are coined to appeal to the younger audience of magic. A cool sounding, catchy name is obviously easier to remember and more pleasing to the ears. Would you rather a trick be called "Panic" or "Deck Disappear-o"?

- harapan. magic!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results