Props, Plots & Purpose – A Brief Guide to Repertoire Design

Nov 8, 2007
These are just some ideas I wanted to share on how to build a diverse and effective repertoire. I know this is something a lot of us are constantly striving for, so I thought the topic was a worthwhile pursuit.

So whether you're looking to just add a new effect to the material you're already performing, or redesign your current repertoire, I think it's important to consider the following three categories: Props, Plots & Purpose when deciding on an effect.

So let's get right to it.

PROPS
When deciding on an effect to add to your repertoire, something you want to keep in mind is what props you are currently working with vs. what props you commonly run into with which you still cannot perform magic.

For example, is it worth your time to learn a third method of coins across right now, or would your time be better spent learning an effect with a watch, since you keep noticing the prop popping up while you’re performing, and currently have no effect utilizing that prop?

Take a look at your list of effects. Now go down the list and see how many different props your entire repertoire incorporates. Is it a bit one-sided or limited? Can you think of any props people commonly carry on them, or that you find in your regular performing environments, with which you cannot perform magic? What props would you like to be able to work with but can't? Make a list, then do some research on effects using those props until you find an effect that suits you.

A real magician would be able to do magic with anything handed to him.

PLOTS
Look at the effects you're currently performing. What are the plots you’re using?

For example, are the majority of your card effects based around changes? If so, then perhaps you should learn a new plot--cards across, a mind-reading effect, card to impossible location, torn and restored, etc. Think about it--do you really need to be keeping six sandwich effects polished? If you find that you're repeating the same plots regularly, then perhaps you need to diversify your repertoire a bit more. Think about the different types of magic effects there are (levitation, vanish, penetration, transformation, production, prediction, transposition, etc.), then look at your repertoire and consider how often the same effects are repeated in your plots. Are you more or less doing the same effect over and over again? Is there a magic effect you feel is missing and that would strengthen your repertoire?

By diversifying the plots in your repertoire you condition your audience into a state of suspense as you create the feeling that “anything is about to happen.”

PURPOSE
Purpose is a much broader category than the other two. Purpose refers to the role the effect is playing in your repertoire.

For example, perhaps you have a few effects in your repertoire that are “attention getters”—eye candy effects that get people to take notice of you. But once you have their attention, what are you going to do with it? Hopefully, not just more eye candy, but something that affects them on a deeper level. But to get to those deeper effects, you first need to get their attention—which is why both types of effects are important and serve a purpose.

Other roles of purpose would be:
• An effect that freezes the moment of magic and gives your spectator a magical souvenir that they can talk about.
• An effect that communicates something about your character. Garrett Thomas, for example, opens with his Ring Thing effect to show that he has the power to move lightning fast—an ability that is part of who he is as a magician.
• An effect that aids in marketing yourself, such as using Out to Lunch to hand out your business card so that your spectators will keep your card and show it to others and talk about you and the effect you performed.
• An effect that fills a need in your repertoire. For example, perhaps you want a hands-off effect your spectators can do themselves, either to give them the feeling of magic in their own hands, or to drive your spectators away from the hunch that the only method to your effects is some crafty sleight of hand.

To clarify, purpose does not refer to the quality of an effect (practicality, impact, reset, angles, etc.), but rather to the role the effect is playing in your repertoire. In other words—why are you performing it? What role is the effect filling for you?

Having a purpose behind your magic keeps you cognitive of your role as a magician, and helps you to avoid falling into the role of an unexceptional trickster.

In closing, I’d like to say I do not presume that this is the only way—or even the correct way—to design your repertoire or choose effects, but it is the way that has worked for me, and my magic has improved because of it. My repertoire has become sharper and more diverse, and my magic has become more meaningful.

Also, you should not hold all of your effects to the standard of fulfilling all three of these categories. Those effects are rare (and only exist because they are part of a larger picture anyhow). Rather, you should make sure that each effect in your repertoire is filling at least one category of the three above. If it isn't, you may want to reconsider the effect.

And lastly, the guidelines above are not in reference to substance--that is personal preference. I assumed in writing this that--for it to be beneficial in any way--you are already a good judge of what is and is not good magic, and what effects work for you as far as their practicality (angles, lighting, reset, pocket management, etc.) is concerned.

Hope this helps you in designing your magic as much as it has me.

Happy Magic,

Mat

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 22, 2010
great advice man. are you performing professionally right now? because it sounds like you are with the advice you're giving

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Heres my problem:

i don't have a clear cut repertoire.

i just have this blob of effects at my disposal. and when asked to perform i always return to a few select card (like 3 or 4) or coin tricks (3).. sometimes some rubber band magic. its pretty lame actually. do you have any advice for how i could have access to a more broad or diverse effect pool to reach from so i'm not always doing the same thing?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I'm with worldwideme. I have this stuff, and it isn't a TON that I actually have polished up. So, I do a few effects in class one day, a few the next, and now that I'm out of polished tricks, there isn't really anything else to do...

I tell them no to magic (that is not until I get some more stuff down) and they get mad and call me a loser and a faggot and make fun of me and wont talk to me.............

Nov 8, 2007
An excellent post. Hopefully this'll stop people (myself included) buying every latest product because it looks good.
Awesome. Thanks. That's part of why I wrote it up--the more you know what you're looking for before you start the easier it is to decide if an effect is right for you when you see it.

Heres my problem:

i don't have a clear cut repertoire.

i just have this blob of effects at my disposal. and when asked to perform i always return to a few select card (like 3 or 4) or coin tricks (3).. sometimes some rubber band magic. its pretty lame actually. do you have any advice for how i could have access to a more broad or diverse effect pool to reach from so i'm not always doing the same thing?

Not sure, but it sounds like maybe you've just gotten too comfortable with the material you've been doing for a while. Maybe you just need to try and stretch yourself a little further and take on some new effects?

Recently I found myself relying on Chicago Opener a bit too much when I took out a deck of cards. It's a fantastic effect, but I felt I was just using it too much. So I made the decision to stop doing it for a while so I can focus on jazzing with other effects a bit more. Keep myself sharp and keep myself from falling into a rut.

I think you probably just need to force yourself to do some new material. Learn two new effects and commit to getting out and performing them for people. Force yourself to step outside your comfort zone next time you perform--that's the only way to grow.

Hope that helps!

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
I'm with worldwideme. I have this stuff, and it isn't a TON that I actually have polished up. So, I do a few effects in class one day, a few the next, and now that I'm out of polished tricks, there isn't really anything else to do...

I tell them no to magic (that is not until I get some more stuff down) and they get mad and call me a loser and a faggot and make fun of me and wont talk to me.............

I think you might be kidding on that last line, but just checking...were you joking?

As for the OP, very good advice...excellent advice actually. There's a lot more details within those 3 areas - a lot of it has to do with experience that is outside of magic, a lot of it has to do with social IQ, understanding what appeals to a wider audience given a situation, etc.

For worldwide me and RK - you guys are most likely falling into the same trap a lot of magicians do, which is you're tricksters and performing monkeys. It's not that you don't have enough material, it's that you aren't socially accepted or relevant to your peer group without using magic. Most likely you may have turned to magic because you felt that you didn't fit in socially and while magic seems to get you the attention you want, it isn't something that will last without something more behind it.

PM me if you want to discuss this more as I don't want to take this thread off topic and away from a very good OP.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Not sure, but it sounds like maybe you've just gotten too comfortable with the material you've been doing for a while. Maybe you just need to try and stretch yourself a little further and take on some new effects?

Recently I found myself relying on Chicago Opener a bit too much when I took out a deck of cards. It's a fantastic effect, but I felt I was just using it too much. So I made the decision to stop doing it for a while so I can focus on jazzing with other effects a bit more. Keep myself sharp and keep myself from falling into a rut.

I think you probably just need to force yourself to do some new material. Learn two new effects and commit to getting out and performing them for people. Force yourself to step outside your comfort zone next time you perform--that's the only way to grow.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply,

i'm thinking i'll mentally replace my ambitious like routine with something else and perform that something else every time i would have wanted to perform my ambitious bit. i'll do something similar with other effects. thanks!

For worldwide me and RK - you guys are most likely falling into the same trap a lot of magicians do, which is you're tricksters and performing monkeys. It's not that you don't have enough material, it's that you aren't socially accepted or relevant to your peer group without using magic. Most likely you may have turned to magic because you felt that you didn't fit in socially and while magic seems to get you the attention you want, it isn't something that will last without something more behind it.

PM me if you want to discuss this more as I don't want to take this thread off topic and away from a very good OP.

I believe i used to fall into that trap, but not so much anymore. back then i was "the kid who does magic" now i'm "Oh thats Web, Have you seen him do magic? he's really good!!" if you get the distinction. i've made connections without magic and i've strengthed connections made with magic so i'm not a magic-whore so to speak.

I do have enough material, i just always go to one or two effects from my library, when i have "Sankey's best" to pull from "allan ackerman advanced card control series" Royal Road, ECT. Bobo. Sponge. Stealth pen. Pressure. i have a ton of material that is close to polished, but i always go back to those one or two effects..

I think i've found an answer however, but yeah, thats what i was trying to get across.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results