Psycho by Spidey Thoughts and Mods

May 31, 2017
Hey everyone!
First post to the forums and just wanted to share some ideas and learn other people's handling of Spidey's awesome trick "Psycho."
I've been doing this effect for a couple months now and it has gotten some awesome reactions! However when I performed it verbatim as is taught in the video, a few people have reverse engineered the method in their mind and some of the handling I felt was a little awkward. I've added a couple things to the routine and I have never missed or had someone figure out the method. Plus it makes a nice 10-15min "show":

1. I do a couple of basic mentalist effects using a written prediction and use the card box so they can't seen what I'm writing. I do the basic think of an odd number with two different digits (37) followed by two different shapes one inside the other (triangle in a circle) and these hit about 60% of the time. This sets up the use of the deck as a writing surface as well introducing numbers and symbols which are used again later. Plus it shows that it's all psychology instead of a magic trick.

2. I do an equivoque effect directly after with whichever spectator I got closest to in the previous effect. This always hits and shows the audience I know what I'm doing after all if the previous effect is way off. Again I use the card box as a writing surface and so they get used to that action.

3. Since it's the closer of the three phase routine, I don't trust a classic force. And instead of worrying about card control and sticking the card to the DST, I've changed it to a short card with the force card connected to it from the beginning. Makes for a sure fire and easy force and the audience sees that I'm not controlling the card at all. No cuts, no shuffles, just right back into the box. And after that it's easy since they are already used to the card box. I refer back to the first effect with numbers and symbols and then destroy their faces with the awesome revelation of this ingenious effect!

Thanks for reading and would love to hear your thoughts and ideas to expand on this.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results