Public Perception

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I've been thinking about public perception lately. My YouTube channel has been getting more and more attention lately, but I don't feel as if I'm doing anything exceptional as a cardist. My question to you guys, what do you believe is more important from a marketing/success standpoint? Convincing the world that you're exceptional or actually being exceptional?

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Well yes, I'm not really keen on changing how I act. No, I'm more curious to see what you guys think is the "Important part". Convincing the world you're good, or being good. Personally, I think being good is better, but convincing the world is easier.

Alix B.(1)

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Ok, this is my point of view,
the different thing about your channel is the way you film and edit your videos, I love it! You are an amazing cardist and you can edit your videos, that's what people want...
If you did not have those skills to edit, you will have less subscribers(including the fact that you're a great crdist)... There are also on youtube some bad cardist but that can edit videos pretty well unfortunatly, sometimes they have more subscribers than the really good ones..
You're an amazing cardist,but unfortunatly people of our generation prefer the appearance before the skills..
So to be succesfull I think it's convincing the world that you're exceptional :/
but the good think with you is that you're an amazing cardist with a lot of potential and a great editing so you have everything to be famous!

(my message is maybe a bit confusing sorry, I don't have enough english vocabulary..)

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks for the support, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, fancy editing can certainly make someone look much better than they are. More and more people are starting to try and make their videos look just as good as the rest, but they aren't focusing on making their actual content as good as it can be. So I agree with you, thanks for the input.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It doesn't actually matter if you're good unless people believe you are. This is why people who are technically skilled, but poor performers, make boring shows. It doesn't matter how good you are if you're not entertaining.

So be entertaining. Build your technical skill at the same time, but make sure the audience actually cares about your performance or why bother doing it at all?

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
That's another good point to consider, the definition of "Good" relies on public perception to begin with. It's all about what angle you choose to look at it I guess, or how you choose to "perceive" this topic.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It really depends on the end goal. If you want popularity you will have to give the public something they want. You're already working with a fairly limited 'public' with flourishing.

From my personal perspective - my time is valuable. The more I realize how much productivity I lose to the internet, the better something has to be to get my time. If a video doesn't have me hooked in 10 seconds, I turn it off and move on. I've got stuff to do. I know that seems short, but the more I observe other people, the more I realize that I'm not alone in this. Furthermore, just seeing that a video is long can cause me not to watch it if I'm not already familiar with the work of that person.

So if your goal is to get more subscribers and have more people watch your videos, then you need to make sure you're not boring them. Another thing to remember is variety. Try to make each video interesting and unique in itself, so they don't just go, "Oh ... more of the same"

Good luck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results