Purchasing a Video Camera

XIV

Dec 23, 2009
Newcastle
Ok guys, I have recently gotten serious about flourishing and would like to start making some video's. So i propose the question to you;

What is the best video camera for price?

I personally would like a 1920x1080p camcorder (HD) and records into Mp4 or mpeg4 for easy upload to youtube, or if not a video camera that comes with a program that will convert for youtube.

As you may now youtube just release their 1080p HD Res video support which will be awesome for many flourishers, personally I have been looking at the CANON Vixia HF11 Which is $1000, it has awesome quality.

I dont want just flourishing video's it will be for other things as im a musician and love making small skits with friends on their dodgy cheap video camera.

So thanks, and please if you post explain something about the camera I dont want to hear just the name, if you could please;

Name the Camera
Price
Main Features (Hd, internal space etc)

Thank you, XIV.

Aug 31, 2007
I have a Canon HV20 and love it. It shoots in 24p and 60i, though I shoot in 60i. You can find a used one for around $400 and it is around the same quality as the Hf11, only shoots on tapes. Go to HV20.com and porous the Trade/Sales section.

Thanks,

~Zach

May 18, 2008
I have to say that my favorite camera is the KodakZi8. Great, and only $150 dollars. 1080p (unlike Creative Vado, which is 720p).

Plus, Macro Mode, external mic jack, and records to SD cards. My favorite.

The one Zach posted is incredibly good too, but far more expensive. I say, try the Zi8 (cheap) and work with it until you need more power. If you don't, then you have this. If you do, then you aren't out much.

Plus, if you buy this cheap 1080p BEAST, you can then buy a more expensive and use the Zi8 for multiple angle shots.

Hope that helps!

Aug 31, 2007
Also the nice thing abou the HV20/30 is that it has threads on the front for lenses, EI 35mm Adapter for shallow DOF. If you have $1000 bucks to blow, Get an Hv20 or 30 then spend $300 on a 35mm Adapter, and also a nice tripod and/or lights. The camera only goes so far, for really great "film" look the 35mm adapter will make it look insane, and lighting goes a long way.

HV20.com will give you info on EVERYTHING.

~Zach

Alright, now you're getting into my expertise (I'm an aspiring filmmaker.. I know a bit about cameras, especially consumer HD's).

The first thing you need to look at is do you have the computer to process HD? For 1080 HD you can figure a gig of space per minute to minute and a half of video. That's a lot of space. Also, if you intend to edit your footage, which I assume you do, you need to look at what kind of file format you need. Professional editors such as Final Cut or Premiere work with video captured from tape (and therefor converted to the needed codec) or captured in AVCHD format from the camera's hard drive. Some other editors, however, do not offer AVCHD support and so many people despise and avoid the format. If your camera exports into a format such as MP4 (which, to my knowledge, only low-end cameras do) you will either have to convert the footage with a program such as MPEG Streamclip or spend most of your time watching the footage render.

Now, when you discuss 1080p vs 1080i for online video, I say whoop-dee-do. Online video is a market that does not benefit at all from the progressive format, at least not when we're talking 1080. Not only does YouTube restrict your file upload size, meaning your video has to be compressed all to hell, HD videos also load very slowly on YouTube when they have a high server load, which is a huge pain in the ass. Don't waste your money by worrying about getting a camera with the progressive (p) format. Interlaced (i) will do you just fine.

With all of that said and considered, here's my two on cameras.

I am personally amazed by the quality that I have seen people get out of a Canon HD30, which runs about 600 bucks. This is a consumer camcorder, however, and does not offer much in terms of extra features (recording modes, XLR mic capabilities, and lenses) other than a a few conversion lenses. However, for what you intend to do with it I think it would work just find.

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from pocket cams such as the Flip, Webbie, or Z16. While I own a Webbie and it is great for a certain use (video blogging), it is utterly useless as an actual camcorder.

If you're looking for a more professional model, there are some good prosumer camcorders on the market such as the Sony FX7 that runs just shy of two grand.

Personally, I own and use a Sony HVR-A1U, which is a more expensive and professional model.

Here's an example of a video shot with my A1 - Slapjacks

And, for some comparison, the beginning of this video, as well as all of the outside footage, was shot with a Webbie. The christmas tree pieces were shot with the A1 - Christmas Montage (keep in mind that the indoor shots were with some lighting restrictions)

Feel free to PM with any more questions.

C

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results