Pushing cards with a single finger

Jul 27, 2016
Hi good people of Theory11 !

I have stumbled across an issue lately regarding some flourishes; it may seem like a trifle, but it's stopping me completely. I am quite new to cardistry, although I can do with my eyes closed some basic moves like the Sybil Cut.

The thing is, in some flourishes such as the Werm, you need to move a single card with only a finger (just so we're clear on what I mean, it's something like at 3:35 on this video).

I absolutely can't do that. Since I'm trying to keep my card decks in good shape, I've gathered that playing with your hands washed and dried helps prevent the cards from becoming sticky and dirty. I've failed to keep my Antlers in good shape, something I don't want to happen again, but even with my three very new decks of Killer Bees, Artifice Purple and Moonshine, which are more slippery (as should be any new deck), I can't seem to pull off the card push with my dry hands.
And I think it's worth mentioning that I have very dry hands; I have to put glycerodermine on them daily or they'll dry up and crack, worst case they'll start bleeding. Having dry hands is really not something I like, even if I've accepted that it may be a necessary evil for cardistry.

So I'm left to wonder what I should do. Should I put hand lotion before manipulating the cards as some people here and there seem to suggest? Should I wear gloves of a specific type? Should I simply learn to manipulate the cards with my dry hands? I'd like to know what are your thoughts on :

1. Doing the single finger card push

and

2. Basically all I said about keeping decks clean and not sticky VS the state of one's hands while doing cardistry.

Thanks a lot!

Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
The pivot with a single finger requires a bit of a knack, but keep working on it and you'll start to get it down.

As for your hands, you're going to want a water-based moisturizing lotion; make sure it doesn't contain oils as those will leave a sticky residue on your cards over time. A slight moisture will also help you in controlling the card during the pivot.

Jul 27, 2016
Thanks a lot, I'll keep that in mind. I didn't knew of water-based lotion, I'll be sure to check it out.

Jul 27, 2016
About the card push: after much practice, I can say you were right, I'm getting the hang of it and it's great.

Also, the water-based lotion works wonders. The one I bought smells of burnt plastic, but even after a few days, none of my cards feel any stickier than before I picked them up. Seriously, thanks.

Reactions: AmberGraci
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results