Q&A - After a Trick

Jun 4, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
hey guys one of the questions that i get alot after doing a trick is "where did you learn that from?" and my usual answer is either the internet or a magic shop. I really feel like this response takes alot away from the magical effect because the spectator now knows there was no magic involved but rather sleight of hand or gimmicked prop. I only say this because i dont know any other response i could say.

anybody out there have a good come back response?

and are there any other questions that people get stuck with?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Nov 10, 2007
I usually say something like " I don't know its magic" or " Other magicians have helped me out" and they usually just forget about the question after that.
Hope that helped PM me if you have ay other questions.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
i tell them the truth- i taught myself and this is something i created a while ago.

I guess this is a pretty universal thing to hear, as i also get it alot, but i guess, just be pleasant. Give the spectator the benefit of the doubt, they may be genuinely interested in the origins of your skills?!

C!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Taken from Tommy Wonder-

"I actually became a magician to find out how I do this!"

Never fails to get a laugh.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Often people will word the question "How did you do that?" to which I always respond "evidently, pretty well ;)" Obviously you shouldn't say this arrogantly, but in a friendly, charming manner :)

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I say:

"My wizard uncle.. he has a big grey beard, a purple robe and pointy hat with stars on it and everything"

that or

"I don't know.. I can't quite understand it myself"

Let me give you questions I get and the answers I give back.

Whoah. How'd you do that?"
A: I starts with M and ends with A-G-I-C

Where can I learn that?
A: I don't know. sometimes I get weird things to happen.

where did you learn that?
A: In my brain. Oh... You meant where did I gt the secret. I'll tell you... the secret is there is no secret. It just happens sometimes.

Why did you start doing magic?
A: I DO MAGIC?!?!?!?!
A2: ( tell them the real reason.)

Those are just some of the things I say. You may feel that some of them are a tad bit rude but the tone I say them in is joking and friendly. So it never has come off as rude to anyone.

Dylan P>

I like to use the comeback phrase:
"Well I studied abroad at hogwarts for a while, so that probably helped somehow"

It ALWAYS gets a reaction that either ends up being laughs or ends up making them forget the question

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
dont say you learned if off the internet, DUH.

it depends where im performing, if they ask i sometimes dont respond. or say,
ive been practicing and working on some of this stuff for years,

then they get sidetracked by that and sak questions like "how/ why did you start doing this sutff." and etc. like that

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results