Question About Cardistry?

So, I was thinking about this and I know I'll probably be beaten to death for asing such a stupid question but I have decided that I would like to ask it anyway. And don't worry it isn't a "How do I get into Cardistry?" thread. This is more a queston for cardists as I am curious.

I have met a few people, and I am sure some of you have met others, that can do a few magic tricks but mainly practice flourishing and cardistry. For example, my friend can do a few dan and dave tricks, but TONS of flourishes. I've heard of others doing it also. Now, here is my question.

How to cardists/flourishers make money flourishing???

I mean if you only do a few tricks, you obviously can't put on a very long kid show, you may be able to entertain a small crowd for a bit, but other than that I just don't know. How would or how do you guys make your money with it?

Dylan P.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
It is a visual art form, so you can make money in many ways. I'll name a few examples, but take everything I say with a grain of salt, considering I having done any of these consitently before.

1.) Busking: Same as street magic busking, juggling, playing guitar, etc. You just go to a public area, and do some cardistry with a hat on the floor or some way of indicating to people that you are entertaining for money. I haven't seen anyone doing this before just with Cardistry alone, but I don't see why it couldn't happen.

2.) Get hired as an entertainer for a private party. You can make it very clear that you specialize in card flourishing, that way they won't be expecting you to do as many tricks. Or, better yet, don't use the word magician. If you market yourself as a visual artist, you can easily specialize in just that. *This is talked about in Xtreme Beginnerz - Volume 1. He actually covers your question. I think it's a little dated the way he describes it, but there are some essential points in there for sure. When it comes to marketing, you need to know if you are going to be a "Card Manipulator", a "Cardist", or "Flourisher", etc. You can pretty much make up what you call yourself. Look at what d+M has done with "Underground Magician" for example.

3.) You could always release unique materials on DVDs and such. Obviously you must be at the top of your game, but it's still a valid answer to the question.

I hope that helps. :) Cardistry is still very young, so it's just a matter of what you want to make of it in my opinion. I'm sure you can make a living off of it if you try hard enough.

Btw, I am definitely in the 8% with taste. (Nice sig ;))

I think the real money with cardistry is flourishy tricks as long as the tricks are done through a flourish. If you really knew nothing about cards but what the faces and backs look like you wouldn't care if someone could do some fancy cuts or shuffles with the cards. And if I don't know anything about cards I don't see my self sitting on the edge of my seat watching some magician switch a card with another one in my hand without touching me. If your going to spend so much time with cards why not maximize your profit unless that's not what your after with this hobby. Unless that's not what your after... But if you could show a card with fashion and do color changes with grace, and do some flourishy ways to show off your dexterity while still cleanly losing the card in the deck. To me it's a show within a show. And it's obvious that there is some trickery to it, but your not showing off how you can do something and baffle them at how it's done. You are entertaining them with a dance of your hands and playing cards. Sorry if you found this boring, but thanks for reading.

Sep 20, 2008
You dont. unless you start making your own flourishes and entice audiences with it- You can make a DVD and sell it. i guess that's the only way. or have some practical magic applications to your flourish.

For instance, Molecule 2 is a Flourish, but has some magical applications too (such as a revalation)

Thanks for creating the thread, i find it very intresting.

I see it as very limited options really. You either have the community in which you could sell your material too OR you could potentially be involved with a talent scout and do TV/Movies.

For example, what Dan and Dave did in Smokin' Aces. I've often thought about doing this myself just to see where I can end up. Just think how many shows you've seen with someone playing with a deck of cards or playing a card game. Numerous.

Just an idea, and I really hope more people respond this is a great topic,
-RA69

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results